• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problems with the amp

OP
davidebond

davidebond

I am sorry. I meant "amp" and I wrote "dac". From the context It Is understandable.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

In any case, I think to have done a lot of tests. Perhaps, the amp was designed so and it is not of my taste.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In any case, I think to have done a lot of tests. Perhaps, the amp was designed so and it is not of my taste.

I used a JDS Atom with my HD6XX for years, fed via Foobar in Windows 10 via USB to a Topping E30 DAC, and it never sounded weak. Sound was the same as when I had a Schiit Magni Heresy in the chain, but the volume pot on the Atom was much quieter so I used it.

MAB

Major Contributor
To @MAB : I'll test It. I set the volume at the maximum both in Foobar2000 and in Windows 11 via the audio preferences.
I'm trying to take Windows, Foobar, and all that stuff out of the equation. So you know, I get settings on my computer wrong too. I asked you to test the JDS amp alone with a different source, like a CD player, or a tuner. I am trying to get you to systematically approach this problem. But it seems you are randomly trying things. It is preventing you from determining if the amp is good or defective.

Once again, for example. Take the JDS amp and hook it up to a source like the output of a CD player, play your favorite CD, see what happens. Also, find a source with a 3.5mm connector and try that too. Make sure to select the correct input like I indicated in my earlier post. Also make sure the mute button isn't depresed.

I'm gonna say this again, the JDS amp has almost identical specification to the amp in the DX3. You couldn't have chosen a unit with more similar specifications and sound. The two units should sound the same, if not one is defective or you got it hooked up wrong.

MAB

Major Contributor
No. The JDS amp is nearly identical to the amp in the DX3 Pro. Of all of the headphone amps, the DX3 Pro and the JDS are almost identical in performance and power.
Something is not working or hooked up properly. I get the impression you didn't try any of the things I suggested. Like just hooking the amp up to a simple CD player and seeing if it has the same weak sound.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Ok. I am a Little sorrowful. I followed your suggestions. Any of them. I used a RCA cable to 3.5 mm and I pressed the button. It sounds like with a normal RCA cable. You have right to not trust in me, but I faithfully followed your indications. In any case, I have no problem. I am making wrong. Other I cannot say. I am wrong in the structure of my being.

Best and sorry for all.

Thanks,

Davide

Reactions: MAB

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Below you say the DAC sounds great when listened to directly.
It's a topping dx3 dac /amp combo. Poster means the headphones sind fine /proper volume from the headphone jack on the dx3 (as they should).

The question is why can't he get the same level /quality from the Atom fed from the rca on the back of the dx3.

But I agree with your testing methodology. I still think OP has a switch /setting somewhere not quite right.

@davidebond on your atom, what gain and volume settings are you using if the dx3 is at 0db?

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Ok. I am a Little sorrowful. I followed your suggestions. Any of them. I used a RCA cable to 3.5 mm and I pressed the button. It sounds like with a normal RCA cable. You have right to not trust in me, but I faithfully followed your indications. In any case, I have no problem. I am making wrong. Other I cannot say. I am wrong in the structure of my being.

Best and sorry for all.

Thanks,

Davide
Hey, nothing wrong with you. I ask because I do the same thing, chasing my tail, thinking Foobar or JRiver or Roon is working, thinking Windows or Mac is working... Often times turns out I am the fool.;) Also, English is hard...

So it seems your JDS is defective, right? It should perform identical the the DX3 Pro and it isn't. And seems you have confirmed on other devices.

If so, just return the JDS with no regret except the time you spent.

MAB

Major Contributor
It's a topping dx3 dac /amp combo. Poster means the headphones sind fine /proper volume from the headphone jack on the dx3 (as they should).

The question is why can't he get the same level /quality from the Atom fed from the rca on the back of the dx3.

But I agree with your testing methodology. I still think OP has a switch /setting somewhere not quite right.

@davidebond on your atom, what gain and volume settings are you using if the dx3 is at 0db?
Yeah, @davidebond make sure you have the gain set to maximum.
1677439955003.png

On the outside chance OP is using a wall-wart with wrong voltage, please confirm you are using a 16V voltage supply!

1677440198571.png

I plugged a piece of gear into the wrong voltage adapter and got odd results. It happens more than once. It's worth checking.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
on your atom, what gain and volume settings are you using if the dx3 is at 0db?

Forgot about that completely. Reaching for the volume knob and unintentionally tapping the gain button and putting it in low gain with any HD6-series headphones will cause the volume to be very low compared to a similar volume knob position if connected directly to the DX3. I know this from experience.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

I put the gain at maximum pressing the button, the volume of the dac being 0.00. I use 16V.

Top Bottom