• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem: SMSL Q5 Pro USB input not working with Intel NUC 8i7 & Windows 10

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL support? Earlier this week, I requested support via email for solving the problem of the failure of my SMSL Q5 Pro DAC/Amp to connect to my Windows 10 Intel NUC8i7PC via its USB port, but no response yet. (The Q5 Pro is sold listing its micro-USB port as an input option.)

Windows 10 doesn't even detect that a device is plugged via any of the four NUC USB ports using 5 different USB cables. OTOH, my SMSL Sanskrit 6th "backup" DAC works perfectly with those same NUC USB ports. So for now, I use the line-level output from the DAC to connect to the Q5 Pro Aux input.

SMSL Q5 Pro.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does it auto-select the inputs or do you have to tell it which input you are using?

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The power switch is dual function - press quickly to change input, hold to power off.

SMLS Q5 Pro-S.jpg

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am giving up on SMSL and the Q5Pro - a product that does not work as advertised. I am moving on to try yet another budget DAC/Amp from an obscure company. :rolleyes:

It is fun and not too expensive - but still wasteful - to play with these mini-components. I am beginning to think I would have been better off replacing my dead (after a nearby lightning strike) old Teac AH01 DAC/Abletec amp with another used one. Instead I have purchased:
  • An SMSL Sanskrit DAC which still works. ($106) :)
  • A 32v-powered Topping PA3 amp ($92) to pair with it, but it died in less than a year :(, and I bought a used one on Amazon for $65 to replace it, but that one died within a few months. :(
  • A 19v-powered SMSL Q5ProDAC/amp which still works, but I don't like the 3.5mm stereo audio line-in jack and the micro-USB input (which doesn't work - and SMSL won't answer my emails about it). :rolleyes: Windows 10 doesn't see that a USB device has been connected. So I am using the Q5Pro only as an amp with line-level imput from the Sanskrit 6th DAC. I use the Sanskrit 6th DAC and Q5 Pro as my desktop DAC/AMP.
I also have a 12+ years old, 12v-powered Trends 10.1 T-amp which cost $180 at the time. It still works great, but I dropped it at the weekly market where I sell arts and crafts, and broke off the volume control shaft. I am now using a 12v, $25 Lepai 2020 instead. It has bass and treble controls, but the treble control is scratchy. But my little old Yamaha NSA-325 speakers sound much better with more power driving them, so I won't bother fixing the Trends amp.

Since I now have two "surplus" Topping 32v SMPS bricks from the two dead PA3 amplifiers, I just ordered an I.AM.D v200 (no bluetooth, no power supply) DAC/Amp for $100 (with shipping to the U.S.) from AliExpress. This unit was popular with a few members at DIYAudio, and was sold in the past by Audiophonics, where it received good reviews. It comes with no power supply, and no Bluetooth - it only has what I want, including a Type B USB port. The I.AM.D DAC/Amp will be my new, small, single box solution for my desktop to use with my Intel NUC8i7 Windows 10 PC. I hope it works and lasts for a while.
FingersCrossed.jpg

I.AM.D v200-.jpg

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amplifiers as a category have much higher potential for failure than DACs and other low power devices. So I would try to buy a better supported product in that category.

Condsidering the problems I have had with Topping (dead amplifiers that are throwaways - too cheap to consider repairing) and SMSL products (no support for a USB input failure on a DAC/Amp), I don't have much faith in any of the $100-range amplifiers. Because of my remote location in the mountains of Western Panama, I've come to treat them as not much more than toys - desktop audio disposable products that I would not ever consider using in my main system.

It just makes me appreciate my big old 25+ y/o used Classé 70wpc Class AB amp which is in great working cndition after all of those years.

Top Bottom