• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Pro" Active Speaker Aesthestics

OP
R

rogu3

That's nice! But I'd take any corvette 2023 over the 8381 :cool:

Pd: Let's don't forget the Kef muon... i mean nobody have that kind of money but that speaker also exist and is also cardiod lol

Corvette! Bah. Give me a manual gearbox like a real driver's car, not that flappy paddle stuff ;) I'm more of a Porsche man, used to own a 2009 Cayman S.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It's drivers are old by now
So the Blade is way better
The kef muon has been updated.. just it's the same name, in fact Kef sent an engineer to any place of the world to do the upgrade in the previous version
Look at the UNIQ
6383320_sd.jpg

kef-muon.jpg

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The kef muon has been updated.. just it's the same name, in fact Kef sent an engineer to any place of the world to do the upgrade in the previous version
Look at the UNIQ
6383320_sd.jpg

kef-muon.jpg
The coaxial driver looks different but the rest look the same

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The coaxial driver looks different but the rest look the same

Yes, these are already great, don't need to upgrade them.

For example the blades and blades meta use the same woofers.

You will see more changes in the smaller woofers not the big ones.
'' there is no replacement for displacement '', the smaller ones tend to improve in order to sound like those big woofers.

Last edited:

robwpdx

View attachment 303328

Those Genelecs with the 4 eye mids look good and are priced accordingly!

I don't have any data, but I'm not sure multiple mid and upper frequency drivers operating in parallel are good for sound reproduction. In hifi, totem does them and you see multi driver vertical row designs. Without data, I would suspect multipath phasing problems. It may make for a novel or interesting sound, but it may not be the best idea from a science view.

Of course, our high frequency hearing fades with age, making the wavelengths of interest longer! Maybe Genelec did their research.

There is a limit to the size of mid and upper drivers. But you don't need to move that much air in a control room. If you are on a scoring stage, say greater than 2000 square feet, 40000 cubic feet, you might need bigger speakers. But the conductor is not listening to a playback in the big studio with musicians for critical listening. For critical listening, they would step into the control room. A conductor is probably good at translating between speakers too.

In a big outdoor concert the music is usually electric or electronic, not acoustic instruments in a wood concert hall, so the expectation is different. To me using line arrays, the current choice, the Grateful Dead's "wall of sound," or walls of Danly, L'Acoustic, Funktion One, or other festival brands, a distributed mid or upper transducer is something the audience is used to.

One place you do need to push air is in a large movie viewing space. There distributed sources may come in handy, but the character of the sound expectation is different and probably governed by the EQ. Horn gain is the classic solution.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's nice! But I'd take any corvette 2023 over the 8381 :cool:

Pd: Let's don't forget the Kef muon... i mean nobody have that kind of money but that speaker also exist and is also cardiod lol
Maybe Elon Musk can pick up a pair for his home in Austin, most likely on a hill over the lake in Westlake.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
View attachment 303328

Those Genelecs with the 4 eye mids look good and are priced accordingly!

I don't have any data, but I'm not sure multiple mid and upper frequency drivers operating in parallel are good for sound reproduction. In hifi, totem does them and you see multi driver vertical row designs. Without data, I would suspect multipath phasing problems. It may make for a novel or interesting sound, but it may not be the best idea from a science view.

Of course, our high frequency hearing fades with age, making the wavelengths of interest longer! Maybe Genelec did their research.

There is a limit to the size of mid and upper drivers. But you don't need to move that much air in a control room. If you are on a scoring stage, say greater than 2000 square feet, 40000 cubic feet, you might need bigger speakers. But the conductor is not listening to a playback in the big studio with musicians for critical listening. For critical listening, they would step into the control room. A conductor is probably good at translating between speakers too.

In a big outdoor concert the music is usually electric or electronic, not acoustic instruments in a wood concert hall, so the expectation is different. To me using line arrays, the current choice, the Grateful Dead's "wall of sound," or walls of Danly, L'Acoustic, Funktion One, or other festival brands, a distributed mid or upper transducer is something the audience is used to.

One place you do need to push air is in a large movie viewing space. There distributed sources may come in handy, but the character of the sound expectation is different and probably governed by the EQ. Horn gain is the classic solution.
They wouldn't use the 4 mids as a gimmick
You can be sure about that

robwpdx

They wouldn't use the 4 mids as a gimmick
You can be sure about that
Yes, they are probably one of the most scientific of designers. But they wanted SPLs in that popular for now mid- dome format. Those are 127mm, not ATC's 75mm, and they have another hidden in the horn with a coaxial 25 mm tweeter.

They can put out a lot of SPL. A true trophy speaker, unless you are using in an auditorium, in which case it should be hidden behind a grille IMO. It's a wild design!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yes, they are probably one of the most scientific of designers. But they wanted SPLs in that popular for now mid- dome format. Those are 127mm, not ATC's 75mm, and they have another hidden in the horn with a coaxial 25 mm tweeter.

They can put out a lot of SPL. A true trophy speaker, unless you are using in an auditorium, in which case it should be hidden behind a grille IMO. It's a wild design!
It's a far field monitor for mastering studios mainly
Much Less for Home use or hifi
Anyways I'm sure they will blow away 99% of hifi and pro speakers Including ATCs with a 75mm mid driver :)

OP
R

rogu3

It's a far field monitor for mastering studios mainly
Much Less for Home use or hifi
Anyways I'm sure they will blow away 99% of hifi and pro speakers Including ATCs with a 75mm mid driver :)
No doubt. That thing is a beast, would love to hear it a treated room.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fancy wood veneers are disappearing on passive hi-fi speakers due to ESG concerns. The replacement is paint, or even so called sustainable materials like bamboo...
I'm curious why you threw these...lines into an otherwise great post. Do you have any evidence for this claim, or does this assertion amount to a ritual invocation of a bogeyman?

Regardless, I don't buy the idea that "ESG concerns" - "ESG" being weird MBA/consultant-speak for "thoughtful" - would compel the substitution of petrochemicals and assorted solvents for veneers from common hardwood trees such as walnut, oak, cherry, and so on as a finish for speaker cabinets. Paint and the associated coatings can be very nasty stuff. (So can the products used to adhere and cover veneer, of course.) As for bamboo, I can think of one internet direct company (Ascend) that makes wide use of it. Otherwise it does not seem to be a very common finish option.

I think the key word for any shift from veneer to paint that may exist is really "fashion." And nothing wrong with that.

Paint also has the advantage of being more suitable for more curved or rounded shapes, such as your LS50s. Those would look terribly fake in veneer.

Top Bottom