• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre-amp with crossover

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Looks interesting, are there any 3rd party measurements available?

Not to my knowledge. I have one though (we distribute them in Norway), sounds perfectly transparent to me. My understanding is that @Kal Rubinson have / had one too. There's a review in Stereophile.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Still, a sweet looking piece of gear.

radix

Major Contributor
I think you are looking for a crossover? they all have gain knobs

Yes, there are all sorts of electronic 2x4 crossovers in your budget. I'm not sure of which are best, but there's a lot of them. e.g. dbx 223xs is only $255 new, though you likely don't want rack mount?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
whole slew of behringers if you want to break out the manuals.

dasdoing

Major Contributor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Not to my knowledge. I have one though (we distribute them in Norway), sounds perfectly transparent to me. My understanding is that @Kal Rubinson have / had one too. There's a review in Stereophile.
I used it only for my multiple subs but it is capable of much more.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Thanks everyone.

Annoyingly, that SMSL seems to show you can stick such a crossover as an added bonus in a cheap amp.

It’s a bit of a short-term solution anyway. I’ll be moving to monitors soon enough.

Thanks again.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you want something basic just as a crossover you can get away with as much as 40-50 euro if you can DIY a little:

V.b.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there such a beast as a pre-amp with a built in crossover/separate outs for mains and sub, balanced ins and outs?

Budget £100-£200.

Someone made one...

Crossover at 2.2Khz, but apparently it could be customized upon request.

Bit more info here: https://www.iwistao.com/products/el...nel-output-crossover-point-2-2k-hz-customized

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning

XpanD

Forum Donor
I wasn't a big fan of the pro crossovers I tried -- both my dbx 234XS and JB Systems XO 2.4 needed a lot of care with regards to turning devices on and off in the right order, or they'd send an insanely loud spike through my subs. Not fun hearing a loud bang followed by your subs deflating like balloons when you accidentally bump a power cable, or happened to still have something powered on...

I'm happy to be using a mix of surround receivers and software control (Equalizer APO) for my setups nowadays.

Joe0429

1690854098042.png

Arylic S50 Pro+ with SUB OUT. But it doesn't have balanced in/out.
Link

tc2007

Here's a crazy suggestion. Check your local FB / Craigslist listings for a used AVR from yesteryears, with pre-amp out. Plenty of Marantz / Yamaha / Onkyo etc. have pre-outs, at least for fronts. A used Marantz slimline is prefect in size, price and features if you can find one. Comes with a nicer remote too :p

Otherwise a used Emotiva processor / preamp would work too (maybe rare in your side of the world).

Top Bottom