• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo 2.1 - sub integration with tone control

Worth a try?

• Don‘t do it, ain‘t even worth a try!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go for it, what should be wrong about it when you enjoy it ?!

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Philipp

Hello fellow ASR membres,

Is the following sub-integration still to consider as „old school“ or just als „plain dumb“?
I know it is not SOTA, with the possibilities offered by UMIK-1 + REW + MiniDSP models. I read some about it, but not enough to start my own REW based sub-integration-project, just no time, lot of interest, but no time at the moment.
The sub, SVS SB-1000 was a steal, so I bought it, I will integrate it for the time beeing, as followed:
Spotify with Bluetooth to FOSI BT20A Pro (with Tone control for mains), will use this tone control to minimize bass output to mains (bookshelf speakers) and use unfiltered pre-out of the amp (RCA) to the sub, will set crossover +/- 100 Hz.
Is there something wrong with this idea (except everything ;-) ).

Its freestyle at best I guess!

Suggestions?

Cheers!
Philipp

staticV3

Master Contributor
The original SB-1000 actually features a built-in HPF on its Line out ports to minimize bass going to your Mains.

So to make use of this, ideally you'd do:
DAC->SVS Line in->SVS Line out->Power Amp->Mains

This does require either a separate DAC and Power Amp, or an Integrated Amp with disconnectable Pre and Power stage, so that you can insert the SVS between the two.

Even if the Fosi's Tone controls only apply to the Speaker output (I can't confirm), they're really not a good substitute for a proper High-pass filter.

OP
Philipp

Philipp

DAC->SVS Line in->SVS Line out->Power Amp->Mains
Yes, this my alternative, need a second DAC with bluetooth that I do not own yet, which I try to avoid at the moment.

OP
Philipp

Philipp

So, I'm pretty confident the tone controls are active for the preout as well.
Did not read any info about it that confirms it, I will test it tomorrow.

OP
Philipp

Philipp

Take a look at the SMSL PS100
Bluetooth is mandatory (EDIT: I now See it has bt) streaming from my work phone, Music has to stop automatically when its ringing, otherwise I may not hear it and it will get on my nerves… so yeah a Wiim mini would be better for quality, with AirPlay, but it is Spotify anyhow, so there goes quality?
EDIT: SMSL PS100 is hard to find in Germany when one wants to avoid Ebay…

Last edited:
OP
Philipp

Philipp

@staticV3
OK found it, any reason you are suggesting this exact model? Measured well, or other reason? Just curious, there are so many devices!

staticV3

Master Contributor
@staticV3
OK found it, any reason you are suggesting this exact model? Measured well, or other reason? Just curious, there are so many devices!
I feel like the PS100 is a price/performance sweet spot.

You can spend many times more on a BT in->RCA out solution, but audible improvements over the PS100 are pretty unlikely.

OP
Philipp

Philipp

Very nice, Thank you for your recommandation!

OP
Philipp

Philipp

I may change my living-room gear 2.0 at the moment to my Office, and add the sub, than I Need no new Equipment. At the monent, living room is not playing a lot of music. Then I can go Wiim to Dac to sub Hp RCA out to Denon to mains.

See Equipment in signature.

OP
Philipp

Philipp

Then I can go Wiim to Dac to sub Hp RCA out to Denon to mains.

See Equipment in signature.
@staticV3 :
Or I could do this KLICK , could I?
Any thoughts on that, does that technically work? Would be Nice to know before ripping apart the livingroom setup :)

OP
Philipp

Philipp

I'm pretty confident the tone controls are active for the preout as well.
I asked @Fosi Audio support and they confirmed twice, that the volume knob is active for the per-out, but not the treble and bass knob (tone control).
Just for info.

Top Bottom