• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre Amp question using chromecast audio as source

Steve Rogers

I signed up to this forum recently and am excited by class D technologies that are small cheap and powerful and am considering an upgrade my electronics, probably to a Audiophonics MPA-S250NC sold here. They will drive my Harbeth Super HL5 a large bookshelf speaker but easy to drive with sensitivity 86 measured here. Currently I am using an Onkyo TX-8150, a budget stereo receiver so I think this will be a big improvement. My source is Deezer CD quality via Chromecast Audio, the Chromecast has a digital and/or analogue output and measures quite well.

What do I do for a pre amp, do I even need one - maybe some of the Topping DACS are good enough? Budget is around $200.

Nice to have: an optical input for TV, a headphone input, an RCA input however none of this is critical.

Finally and critically I would not want more than two boxes (one being the power amp) and I would like it to be small - this is part of the attraction for class D. Also there should be a real volume control - if anything can go wrong it will do and I don't want to fry my speakers which are quite expensive :)

Steve

Top Bottom