• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Practical use of Dutch and Dutch 8c

Eeyoredave

@HooStat how did you go with your new speakers? I am in a similar situation as you were between the 8c and 8361. But not yet committed to either.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I sold the 8361 after a few months. They were too big and awkward. And I found that I wasn't using them much, except to watch TV. I would get the 8351 if I had to do it again.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I sold the 8361 after a few months. They were too big and awkward. And I found that I wasn't using them much, except to watch TV. I would get the 8351 if I had to do it again.
What speakers did you replace them with?

Eeyoredave

Guess if you were only using a 10k speaker for watching TV ;), there must be other, better set up you have access to! Oh to dream!

OP
HooStat

HooStat

I bought the 8361 on a whim -- a store had new, black ones and that is what I wanted for my office setup. They just didn't fit in visually -- they were too big and ugly and the stands didn't look good in real life. And for $10k, I was not getting enough out of them having them just hooked up to a TV. I intended to stream content to them, and to really do the whole setup the right way. But I was too busy to do it. And I didn't think they were substantially better than my KEF Q300 bookshelves + JL Audio sub for watching TV. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them, but they were the wrong speakers for the application (from a cost perspective), and there was no way they would be allowed in the living room. So, they had to go.

I really wanted the new Ascend LX, but the cabinet colors were all wrong for the room and so I had to cancel my order. I am looking at the Genelec 8340 in the raw finish, but those are backordered for a couple of months. So, right now there are no speakers. (insert sad emoji here)

I also like the Mesanovic RTM10, but they are just too expensive -- at that price I would get something else. And Revel speakers also only have gloss finishes, so they won't fit in the room either.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I bought the 8361 on a whim -- a store had new, black ones and that is what I wanted for my office setup. They just didn't fit in visually -- they were too big and ugly and the stands didn't look good in real life. And for $10k, I was not getting enough out of them having them just hooked up to a TV. I intended to stream content to them, and to really do the whole setup the right way. But I was too busy to do it. And I didn't think they were substantially better than my KEF Q300 bookshelves + JL Audio sub for watching TV. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them, but they were the wrong speakers for the application (from a cost perspective), and there was no way they would be allowed in the living room. So, they had to go.

I really wanted the new Ascend LX, but the cabinet colors were all wrong for the room and so I had to cancel my order. I am looking at the Genelec 8340 in the raw finish, but those are backordered for a couple of months. So, right now there are no speakers. (insert sad emoji here)

I also like the Mesanovic RTM10, but they are just too expensive -- at that price I would get something else. And Revel speakers also only have gloss finishes, so they won't fit in the room either.
Not better than the KEF Q300?
Wow

OP
HooStat

HooStat

For watching TV. I credit most of that to the JL Audio F113 sub since the speaker are crossed at 140 Hz and using Anthem ARC for room correction.

EDIT: I was thinking about this some more. If one looks at the Olive score and compares the Genelec 8361 without sub to KEF Q350 with sub (there is no review of the Q300) the scores are 6.8 and 7.5 respectively. So, having a really good sub with some room EQ can make a big difference. Note that I am not saying that the score is gospel and I don't want to start yet another debate about it. I am just using it as an objective comparison that suggests that, at listening levels within the sweet spot of a speaker, the use of a sub can make up for a lot of imperfections.

Last edited:

felbj-htd.

I use an RMe ADI ‘pro’ with my 8Cs, the RME can send and attenuate a digital output, ( the 8Cs can accept digital or analogue ) and then I connect a computer as streamer to the RME.
There are plans I believe for D&Ds own break out box /preamp.
Keith
Interesting, Purité Audio. Do you have any updates on the preamp?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I haven’t heard anything recently, D&D have been occupied with Roon ready and then the Spotify connect , I will ask.
Keith

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As much as I would prefer to get the Genelec 8351b, I think the 8c is a better choice for me. I have done some reading on these, and looked at the user manual, but I would love insight from some users of the 8c on issues they may have run into (and solutions, if they exist). I also have a few questions.

I can't tell if music streaming works (e.g., Spotify, etc) or not via ethernet. I know it is not yet Roon ready, but can I stream music directly? I am not planning on getting Roon at the moment (unless it can also magically handle the 2-channel audio signal from my TV via HDMI or optical). I assume it can since the studio version specifically does not support any streaming.

The only volume solution is an app? No remote control hack?

I assume I need a box to convert optical to AES digital. Assuming I do this for the audio for my TV (stereo only), how does one toggle between this and streaming music? (Assuming the answer to the question above is that streaming works fine, just not Roon.) Is this the app again?

Any other issues in setting it up or using it?

Thanks for all insight into the 8c for home use with a TV.

(I am not planning on getting a sub or integrating a third channel, just to answer some obvious questions in advance.)
Pretty big price difference. I’d be looking at the 8361.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
8361 and a couple of subs and to add the cardioid a w371.
Keith

felbj-htd.

I also was seriously thinking of getting the 8351s in white. But then have found the new D&D 8cs on sale and could not resist the temptation. Because I thought their cardioid sound dispersion design and DSP were considered to be very good. Have you gotten the 8351s?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would go for the 8361 especially in a domestic environment.
Keith

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
The genelecs are ugly compared to the 8c.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Here I felt the 51s were only really convincing when sitting pretty close further away, 2m plus say and I felt I was looking at rather than being immersed in the sound, also the 61s go louder and deeper, although you may still need a sub for completely full-range.
Keith

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here I felt the 51s were only really convincing when sitting pretty close further away, 2m plus say and I felt I was looking at rather than being immersed in the sound, also the 61s go louder and deeper, although you may still need a sub for completely full-range.
Keith

Got it, so largely based on distance in this context? I'm at 4m and in a few threads theres mention the 8C's won't be adequate yet Erin's review mentions 105dB at 4m. I also emailed D&D and the responder said he listens at 6m, no issue.

Top Bottom