• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Practical use of Dutch and Dutch 8c

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As much as I would prefer to get the Genelec 8351b, I think the 8c is a better choice for me. I have done some reading on these, and looked at the user manual, but I would love insight from some users of the 8c on issues they may have run into (and solutions, if they exist). I also have a few questions.

I can't tell if music streaming works (e.g., Spotify, etc) or not via ethernet. I know it is not yet Roon ready, but can I stream music directly? I am not planning on getting Roon at the moment (unless it can also magically handle the 2-channel audio signal from my TV via HDMI or optical). I assume it can since the studio version specifically does not support any streaming.

The only volume solution is an app? No remote control hack?

I assume I need a box to convert optical to AES digital. Assuming I do this for the audio for my TV (stereo only), how does one toggle between this and streaming music? (Assuming the answer to the question above is that streaming works fine, just not Roon.) Is this the app again?

Any other issues in setting it up or using it?

Thanks for all insight into the 8c for home use with a TV.

(I am not planning on getting a sub or integrating a third channel, just to answer some obvious questions in advance.)

kaka89

You cannot stream music directly.
I connect my 8C to an external DAC where handles optical (TV) and USB input (and thus allow me to stream via a Pi)

Reactions: CMB

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you grade a speaker as to it's dsp capbilities? Seems like a backwards approach....and not getting a sub with most of these limited speakers seems sorta dumb.

kaka89

Why would you grade a speaker as to it's dsp capbilities? Seems like a backwards approach....and not getting a sub with most of these limited speakers seems sorta dumb.

8C don't need a sub, or it already come with a sub built in, the two woofers in the back only produce 100Hz and below.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
8C don't need a sub, or it already come with a sub built in, the two woofers in the back only produce 100Hz and below.

Looking at the Buchardt site I'm not seeing much at all for this model, can you provide some of their links as well as 3rd party measuements? Not that familiar in any case but would be surprised if it couldn't be well supported by a sub, as most speakers need to be for true full range reproduction....limited use who knows.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
HooStat

HooStat

I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, but I am not asking about recommendations for a speaker. I am asking about real-world experience with using this particular speaker (Dutch & Dutch 8c). There is a ton out there about their sound quality (and they are not made by Buchardt).

OP
HooStat

HooStat

You cannot stream music directly.
I connect my 8C to an external DAC where handles optical (TV) and USB input (and thus allow me to stream via a Pi)
So maybe it is better to just get an external box for these. It is a little disappointing, but not surprising. Seems that it would solve the whole problem, particularly if it has a digital volume control.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

What about getting a separate streaming cheap streaming box. I think the 8C has trouble right now with streaming because it's not using the traditional master/slave config, but rather master/master. I could be wrong, though.
That works too, if the app they use for volume and input switching isn't too "clunky". Streamers are pretty simple/cheap. Alternatively, I think something that can handle USB ethernet and optical, output AES digital, and control volume digitally would be ideal. I think RME makes something, and probably other companies as well. RME makes something with a USB input, but it isn't a streamer. But I suspect somebody makes this kind of product.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I use an RMe ADI ‘pro’ with my 8Cs, the RME can send and attenuate a digital output, ( the 8Cs can accept digital or analogue ) and then I connect a computer as streamer to the RME.
There are plans I believe for D&Ds own break out box /preamp.
Keith

mohragk

Looking at the Buchardt site I'm not seeing much at all for this model, can you provide some of their links as well as 3rd party measuements? Not that familiar in any case but would be surprised if it couldn't be well supported by a sub, as most speakers need to be for true full range reproduction....limited use who knows.

Burchardt is another brand?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In any case, I would recommend your chosen DAC output the stream in digital format, rather than supply analog output to your speakers.

The unmentioned Buchardt A500 has a wireless interface.

Both Genelec and D&D accept AES input.

It is my preference to keep data digital until amplification.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@HooStat I'm not sure if you saw my review (here) but in it, I mentioned how I was using an optical to AES box for my setup and it worked without issue.

"I used these speakers both analog and digital. When using digital, I used this (relatively) $95 Hosa ODL-312 Optical SPDIF and AESEBU Digital Format Converter. This served to allow me to send my TV’s audio signal via optical output to the 8c speakers, thus enabling me to use all sources (TV, AppleTV, Blu-ray player)."

To answer your other questions:
No streaming (yet)
Volume control is indeed through the web-based app. Unless, of course, you use an external DAC with volume control.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The 8C is more expensive than the 8351B so it would be interesting to hear the 8C vs the 8351 with 2 subs.
It's interesting to see if you take out the 8C's built in subs out of the equation , if it's still a better monitor.

Top Bottom