• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Practical use of Dutch and Dutch 8c

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
With all due respect that is a frivolous question, for a valid comparison the the 8351s need a sub, which makes the prices of the two speakers/systems more or less comparable.
If/when I get the 8361A’s I will run a comparison.
Keith

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@HooStat I'm not sure if you saw my review (here) but in it, I mentioned how I was using an optical to AES box for my setup and it worked without issue.

"I used these speakers both analog and digital. When using digital, I used this (relatively) $95 Hosa ODL-312 Optical SPDIF and AESEBU Digital Format Converter. This served to allow me to send my TV’s audio signal via optical output to the 8c speakers, thus enabling me to use all sources (TV, AppleTV, Blu-ray player)."

To answer your other questions:
No streaming (yet)
Volume control is indeed through the web-based app. Unless, of course, you use an external DAC with volume control.
Thanks Erin. I did look through your review (which is why I am looking at these in the first place) and I just missed it. Thanks for clarifying.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

The 8C is more expensive than the 8351B so it would be interesting to hear the 8C vs the 8351 with 2 subs.
It's interesting to see if you take out the 8C's built in subs out of the equation , if it's still a better monitor.
True, but my use case is to avoid using subs in my living room. The 8c is the perfect solution (except for the streaming bit, which is solvable).

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With all due respect that is a frivolous question, for a valid comparison the the 8351s need a sub, which makes the prices of the two speakers/systems more or less comparable.
If/when I get the 8361A’s I will run a comparison.
Keith
Doubt even that will compare. 8361 mainly adds output over the 8351b, but still really lacks extension.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Erin. I did look through your review (which is why I am looking at these in the first place) and I just missed it. Thanks for clarifying.
From Dutch - this is their recommendation for coax to aes if you have a coax option (instead of optical) and were looking to use it

"You could use a neutrik impedance converter between a digital coax output and the 8c aes-3 input. When no long lines until like 10m are used.
https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/naditbnc-m"

Last edited:

GDK

Forum Donor
Could someone possibly explain what you gain from going with the standard 8c version, rather than the cheaper 8c Studio (apart from a choice of finishes).

If someone were to use a streamer like the miniDSP SHD as a preamp, does that make the wireless capabilities of the standard 8c redundant?

Reactions: CMB

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So maybe it is better to just get an external box for these. It is a little disappointing, but not surprising. Seems that it would solve the whole problem, particularly if it has a digital volume control.
A miniDSP SHD Studio.

RoA

Not having a R/C is a PITA.

I only realised this after having had the Formation Duo's for a while. Whilst the App works there is the odd occasion where it hunts for the Network and the only options are to either wait or stand up and adjust volume on the speaker.

No such issues with my Wireless II's

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Could someone possibly explain what you gain from going with the standard 8c version, rather than the cheaper 8c Studio (apart from a choice of finishes).

If someone were to use a streamer like the miniDSP SHD as a preamp, does that make the wireless capabilities of the standard 8c redundant?
At the moment the only connection to the 8C is the XLR inputs which can be set to either digital or analogue via the app or from the rear of the speaker, when the ‘roon ready’ issue is finalised then you will be able to ‘stream’ directly to the rj45 inputs on each 8C, this facility will not be included in the studio version.
Keith

GDK

Forum Donor
At the moment the only connection to the 8C is the XLR inputs which can be set to either digital or analogue via the app or from the rear of the speaker, when the ‘roon ready’ issue is finalised then you will be able to ‘stream’ directly to the rj45 inputs on each 8C, this facility will not be included in the studio version.
Keith
Thanks, Keith. So, given I don’t have an ethernet connection in my listening room, it sounds like the standard versions are not going to be useful to me. That will save me a couple of grand (although those all-white ones look pretty cool).

Reactions: CMB

andrew

I’m using a mini DSP DDRC-22d as a digital pre-amp. This allows, via Logitech Harmony remote, for selection between different digital sources and volume control. My setup has evolved over time but, now, I stream music direct to the speakers via Roon and use TV optical -> mini-DSP -> 8c for a remote controlled 2-channel TV.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just recently downloaded 2.0 and ‘streaming’ appears to be the default input, I believe you could just use a Hoda ODL optical to AES converter changing input and attenuating volume in the Ascend app.
Keith

nuport

I've had these for a while- they sound great but living with them I have 2 annoyances:

1) There is no auto sleep function. You have to manually go to the lanspeaker website (older firmware) to put each one to sleep individually and then manually turn them back on. I'm no engineer but I can't imagine it would be difficult to add auto sleep/wake. I end up leaving mine on but they suck a lot of power
2) I'm using these as left and right channels in my home theater and I have found them not the easiest to integrate. (Granted they were not designed for this purpose.) I have a Marantz Av8805 which has a maximum speaker distance of 25 ft I think. The linear phase filter mode adds like 30ms+ delay which is too much for the processor to compensate for. I have them in low latency mode but I believe I am giving up a bit with SQ

I also am not happy with the customer service but I don't want to air out my grievances here publicly.

As you may be aware the new firmware also does not have REW integration yet.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes 3ms in low latency mode, REW integration is coming until then you just have to input filter parameters manually , I will check stand by current draw I can’t imagine it is very much though class-d etc…
Keith

Tangband

Major Contributor
As much as I would prefer to get the Genelec 8351b, I think the 8c is a better choice for me. I have done some reading on these, and looked at the user manual, but I would love insight from some users of the 8c on issues they may have run into (and solutions, if they exist). I also have a few questions.

I can't tell if music streaming works (e.g., Spotify, etc) or not via ethernet. I know it is not yet Roon ready, but can I stream music directly? I am not planning on getting Roon at the moment (unless it can also magically handle the 2-channel audio signal from my TV via HDMI or optical). I assume it can since the studio version specifically does not support any streaming.

The only volume solution is an app? No remote control hack?

I assume I need a box to convert optical to AES digital. Assuming I do this for the audio for my TV (stereo only), how does one toggle between this and streaming music? (Assuming the answer to the question above is that streaming works fine, just not Roon.) Is this the app again?

Any other issues in setting it up or using it?

Thanks for all insight into the 8c for home use with a TV.

(I am not planning on getting a sub or integrating a third channel, just to answer some obvious questions in advance.)
You dont need an optical solution.

If you are using an Apple TV you can use AirPlay from the AppleTv to a Mac computer when watching TV . Use the hdmi signal from the Apple TV to the TV for the picture only .

That way - the picture and sound will be perfectly in sync . You can regulate the volume in digital domain with the Apple TV remote .
The sound quality is really good this way.
The same Mac computer can be used as a player for Apple Music lossless . You can use the iPhone as an AirPlay remote to the mac , or play high resolution directly from the mac .

At the Mac:s USB output, you need an USB to spdif/AES converter - a Douk U2 is really good sounding .

This way , you have a digital solution WITH volume regulation both for TV and music listening .

This is also a slightly better sounding digital solution than the Yamaha wxc50 ( I have one ) .

This is the way I use TV and music listening in my home with digital connection to Genelec 8340.

Last edited:

nuport

Yes 3ms in low latency mode, REW integration is coming until then you just have to input filter parameters manually , I will check stand by current draw I can’t imagine it is very much though class-d etc…
Keith
40 watts

OP
HooStat

HooStat

You dont need an optical solution.

If you are using an Apple TV you can use AirPlay from the AppleTv to a Mac computer when watching TV . Use the hdmi signal from the Apple TV to the TV for the picture only .

That way - the picture and sound will be perfectly in sync . You can regulate the volume in digital domain with the Apple TV remote .
The sound quality is really good this way.
The same Mac computer can be used as a player for Apple Music lossless . You can use the iPhone as an AirPlay remote to the mac , or play high resolution directly from the mac .

At the Mac:s USB output, you need an USB to spdif/AES converter - a Douk U2 is really good sounding .

This way , you have a digital solution WITH volume regulation both for TV and music listening .

This is also a slightly better sounding digital solution than the Yamaha wxc50 ( I have one ) .

This is the way I use TV and music listening in my home with digital connection to Genelec 8340.
It turns out that I got the Genelec 8361, so this might just work great for me. Thanks.

Top Bottom