• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power testing an actual speaker terminal?

Keith Conroy

I know it might sound strange, but I want to power test a spring loaded speaker terminal. I can't test across a real speaker load. The actual box is ported and is using a 1 ohm speaker. Power handling of the speaker box combination is 1000 watts RMS. I want to see how hot the terminal gets over time. This to include the metal parts and surrounding plastic. My goal is to best simulate what the terminal see's using a pure restive load and some sort of repeatable electronic tone or tones. I understand music & a speakers real reactive load is different. However I would like to get as close as I can? Should I look at a mean average and pick a resistor value that way? I worry if I use a 1 ohm resistor the constant current is not realistic?? It might be possible that I could use music on a pure restive load?? On a music signal what might be a best choice? As I remember Amir spoke about a site once where you could load music and look at its spectrum?? So do I want a high average and a high crest factor or WHAT????......................PLEASE HELP??

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Any testing at the 1000 Watt level is dangerous.
But a big 15 Ohm resistor or a room space heater and 120V AC power might do.

Top Bottom