• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is "room correction" such as Dirac, ARC, audyssey actually correcting for the room?

vintologi

From what i have learned the only proper way to actually correct the room is to change the actually change the room accoustics itself, you don't have to build a full anechoic chamber to get significant benefits there.

The main thing EQ is good for is correcting for flawed speakers and as we have seen often even very expensive speakers have inaccurate frequency response. Buyers are often in denial about this and it seems like the makers of "room correction" software play along by pretending the room was the only problem. People naturally do not want to hear how the speakers they spent 20000$ on aren't very good.

It's very rare for speakers to be within ±1 dB in terms of frequency response, it's very much achievable even without any EQ but then you have to use expensive drivers and audio companies rather spend that on marketing instead for the most part.

I can see very advanced software being beneficial if you have extra channels that is controlled by the software but that would require extra speakers which is more expensive than simply fixing the room (if the speakers are very high end).

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Designing and building a perfect room is ideal, but not a reality for most of us. All rooms have nodes where certain audio frequencies are reinforced or attenuated. "Room correction" can be used to even out those peaks and valleys.

This is true regardless of your choice of speakers, although some influence on this can be had in proper placement of speakers within the room.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes, room correction like Dirac, Audyssey, etc is actually correcting for the room.

If you took a pair of perfect speakers and ran Dirac on them, then you would see a lot of correction being applied to smooth out room modes.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, these tools are more that just EQ. They can also correct for time alignment issues, and can also help with reducing some reflections. This only works in within a limited sweet spot though where they can cancel out.

Philbo King

It corrects for room response in a very limited seating area.

OP
V

vintologi

It corrects for room response in a very limited seating area.
Does it even fully correct it there?

I hear amir say that the brain actually differentiates between direct sound and reflections and if this is true "room correction" would actually mess up the direct on-axis response assuming the issue is with the room and not the speaker.

I guess it works better at low frequencies such as 10hz.

Philbo King

Does it even fully correct it there?

I hear amir say that the brain actually differentiates between direct sound and reflections and if this is true "room correction" would actually mess up the direct on-axis response assuming the issue is with the room and not the speaker.

I guess it works better at low frequencies such as 10hz.
Yeah, it's only useful below the Schroeder Freq.

Top Bottom