• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Conditioner with Auto Switching?

pderousse

Hi,
I have PS Audio Dectet plugged into a Monster Pro 3500 to provide enough outlets. Not all of my components have a trigger input, so I must for instance turn on four monoblocks and another amp for the subs every time I want music or HT. This makes the whole system less family-friendly than it could be. I notice that cheap PC surge protectors often have an outlet that, if on, will turn on other components as well; however, I'd prefer not to daisy-chain more power strips, rather fewer (Things are very busy behind the rack). I am looking for power distribution product that has: 1) as many outlets as possible (10+); 2) auto switching on at least 5 of them, 3) a component look, but not uber-audiophile grade. I have no interest in power regeneration or 'noise filtering' and even surge protection is way down the list as it seems rather meaningless to me, unless a replacement guarantee is offered. I'm just looking for convenience. Is there anything out there like that?

Yuhasz01

I use passive power distributor. It was originally recommended by Amir few years ago.

Tripp Lite 12-Outlet Rackmount PDU Power Strip, Six Front & Six Rear Facing Outlets, 15A, 120V, 15ft Cord with Right-Angle Plug, Horizontal 1U Rack Mount, Lifetime Manufacturer's Warranty (RS1215-RA)​

OP
P

pderousse

Thanks. I’m looking for auto-switching, 18 outlets and no daisy-chaining. That device does not have switching or enough outlets.

I have some auto switching in those two devices I currently have but not enough, and I must daisy-chain. A complication is that I also have a HT pass through, so switching must emanate from two different devices.

I’m surprised so few have replied to this, because I’m sure others have big systems with need for switching and many outlets.

Haflermichi

I’m surprised so few have replied to this, because I’m sure others have big systems with need for switching and many outlets.
"18 outlets" is a lot to ask for without daisy-chaining multiple smaller units.
3 separate units (Surgex SX-1115 RT?) might work better for you anyway and more easily facilitate your switching needs...
Even the Surgex SEQ only has 16 in a 2 RU (two rack space) chassis.

OP
P

pderousse

"18 outlets" is a lot to ask for without daisy-chaining multiple smaller units.
3 separate units (Surgex SX-1115 RT?) might work better for you anyway and more easily facilitate your switching needs...
Even the Surgex SEQ only has 16 in a 2 RU (two rack space) chassis.
Thanks, does the SEQ have auto-switching? I can’t tell from amzn.

One part of my problem is the injunction: Thou shall not plug an amplifier into a surge protector. Well I have 5, and am growing tired of powering each on every time.

The other part is that I have a HT pass through, so, while I might be able to make the switching work with what I have (still exploring that) I have two sources (Pre and HT processor) ultimately controlling everything. I think I will need a 3.5 mm Y into the Monster daisy chained into the PS.

It is surprising that everything in the market, except for this surgex, is so limited, but at least it does not have unnecessarily like ‘RG45 surge protection.’

Top Bottom