• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable a-b-c sample test

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why you use cable lifters. Minimizing the pernicious sonic influence of rug fibers.
Yes of to listen to different wallpapers o_O it’s funny with audiophiles claiming that “everything matters” does not sample different wallpaper and potted flowers, who’s wife has the best acoustic properties while in the listening room:)

dartinbout

I'm just here for the comedic skewering. Watching another bloviater get pricked enough to deflate to the ground is high entertainment.
"Please sir, can I have some more?"

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Much to the chagrin of some disciples of ASR we use science to describe occurring phenomena and not the other way around.

Just as you can not claim a sonic difference between cables without a blind test nor can you claim the opposite.

Gee, am I allowed to claim unicorns do not exist?

Or from another angle: we do have science on human hearing and the 'audio' properties of cables. That science argues against most claims of audible cable difference. Where's your science arguing for them?

I don’t believe in power cables but the hostility and arrogance displayed by mostly laymen on ASR is going to take away from the actual value the community brings to the table.

Be nice.

Be sensible.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, maybe not. It is definitely determined by blind ab testing in a controlled environment. Not with an apx555

Does that really 'definitely determine' it?

No one can blind test all of humanity, after all.

Since we are getting into clichés:

“Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”

-Albert Einstein

Oops here I go making another claim: you have no idea what you are talking about.

krott5333

It is the whole system. The same YETI cable, it might not have the effect on other system. It is recorded with full system, not measuring the cable itself. I do DAW, the decay time, I am quite sensitive if need. People usually refer as airy.
No.

dartinbout

I love it when they march out the door of ASR, in "High Dudgeon". They remind me of "Boss Nas" from the prequels.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love it when march out the door of ASR, in "High Dudgeon". They remind me of "Boss Nas" from the prequels.
I suspect his troll-fu was not up to the task.

Reactions: JRR

dorakeg

Again, what is the science behind a power cable causing delay? Just saying "it is the whole system" tells us nothing.

You can check this video out. What we have been thought in school has been wrong all along. We think then it's electrons flowing through a cable. That's incorrect. It's actually electric field.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, electrons do indeed flow through a wire. A field has to exist to propel them, it's true. And that doesn't explain any miraculous sonic properties of a power cable.

JRR

I love it when march out the door of ASR, in "High Dudgeon". They remind me of "Boss Nas" from the prequels.
Was that english? I don’t understand.

Reading some of these answers I can’t say I expected better from you lot.

DonR

Major Contributor
You can check this video out. What we have been thought in school has been wrong all along. We think then it's electrons flowing through a cable. That's incorrect. It's actually electric field.

Were you never taught about the Poynting vector?

dartinbout

Was that english? I don’t understand.

Reading some of these answers I can’t say I expected better from you lot.
As for "expectations", you might consider parking them when entering. This forum is devoted to towards deflating them. See every "dis-Chord-ant" review for examples.

DanielT

Major Contributor
That is the easiest thing in the world to blind test. Ask someone who is not interested in HiFi (no bias) to plug in different cables and then blind test. Also ask the person plugging in to randomly say that the cables have been changed even though this has not been done.

That in itself is not difficult to do. The most difficult thing is probably getting someone not interested in HiFi to help (plug in and note which cable is which when blind testing is performed). That person probably thinks it's just a pointless exercise. Payment in the form of, for example, pizza may have to be made, he he. :)

DonR

Major Contributor
That is the easiest thing in the world to blind test. Ask someone who is not interested in HiFi (no bias) to plug in different cables and then blind test. Also ask the person plugging in to randomly say that the cables have been changed even though this has not been done.

That in itself is not difficult to do. The most difficult thing is probably getting someone not interested in HiFi to help (plug in and note which cable is which when blind testing is performed). That person probably thinks it's just a pointless exercise. Payment in the form of, for example, pizza may have to be made, he he. :)
Then ask the person not interested in hi-fi if they can hear the difference from the kitchen while they make you a sandwich. Then call your divorce lawyer.

OP
NYfan2

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I started the thread out of curiosity if there would be any comments on the video, a discussion of 4 pages within 12 hours!!

I thought this video ended the debate because for me there is no difference (there can be no difference in the sound because of the power cables).

Well now probably the believers will tell me I'm biased / have no golden ears/ are to old / don't have the right equipment etc. etc. :facepalm:

kongwee

Major Contributor
I can even hear the difference in my iMac. Snare and kick drum is cleaner on stock powercord.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most difficult thing is probably getting someone not interested in HiFi to help (plug in and note which cable is which when blind testing is performed). That person probably thinks it's just a pointless exercise. Payment in the form of, for example, pizza may have to be made, he he. :)
It would be equally productive and scientifically valid to blind test the pizza and give them the cable as payment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom