• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power amplifiers with auto turn-on 'sense' feature.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a power amplifier with little power (~20-30W at 8 ohm) with RCA inputs for a sensitive speaker (93 dB/W).

Other than decent objective performance, it has to turn on when signal is being received via the RCA inputs.

Feel free to suggest other ways of turning it on; However, none of my playback devices have trigger out.

Class D is also a plus, since I don't have a 'Hi-fi rack' than can have 15 kg amplifiers bolted to it.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD C268 - auto-sense via RCA - 80 watts, but who's counting?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD C268 - auto-sense via RCA - 80 watts, but who's counting?

With my current amp (45W) i never even reach half way through the volume knob. So i would rather not buy something that high.

Thank you for the suggestion though, i will keep it in mind!

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Power output has nothing to do with voltage gain... The 80W amplifier may have less gain than the 45W. Check the specs.

I'm confused, my current amplifier is integrated (that I grew out of, and ended up buying better performing individual devices). So wouldn't the volume knob (the pre-amp section of the amplifier) be proportional to the power output?

iann

XTZ A2-300 (495 Euro) has the auto sense, small size and class d you're looking for with plenty of power. Also has a gain adjustment on the input which helps to get more travel on your volume control if you need it.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With my current amp (45W) i never even reach half way through the volume knob. So i would rather not buy something that high.

Thank you for the suggestion though, i will keep it in mind!

The C268 has a gain control, so you can turn as far down as you like - with better noise as a result. You could limit it to 20W.

julius

I'm looking for a power amplifier with little power (~20-30W at 8 ohm) with RCA inputs for a sensitive speaker (93 dB/W).

Other than decent objective performance, it has to turn on when signal is being received via the RCA inputs.

Feel free to suggest other ways of turning it on; However, none of my playback devices have trigger out.

Class D is also a plus, since I don't have a 'Hi-fi rack' than can have 15 kg amplifiers bolted to it.
what's your budget? There are 20-30 wpc amplifiers out there with prices as much as 4 figures. Solid state or Tube? what's your preamp if you have one? if yes, does it have 12V trigger out?

SKBubba

You need a preamplifier with a 12V trigger through which your power amp can be connected so that when you turn on preamp your power amp will turn on automatically. It's always best to get preamplifier the same brand as your power amp so that you will not have compatibility problems.

This one senses signal on the rca inputs. Works with pre-outs from AVR or output from DAC.

julius

I am sorry but I don't think I can help you any further. I absolutely know nothing about AVR setups.

SKBubba

I am sorry but I don't think I can help you any further. I absolutely know nothing about AVR setups.

Not asking for help. Was responding to the original poster. Plus you seem to think I'm mistaken. I plug my dac directly into the amp and it comes on when music starts playing. No 12v trigger required, but it also has one of those.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could use a smart power strip....

Top Bottom