• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

POLL: Should Amir purchase additional software add-ons for Klippel NFS?

Should Amir purchase additional software add-ons for Klippel NFS, in order to measure more data?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
On the topic of "Complaint thread about speaker measurements":

Some members expressed their opinion about measuring more data than currently shown in the speaker measurements.

The question arose whether ASR community wants Amir to purchase the following software add-ons for Klippel NFS, in order to measure more data.

1580361684539.png

1580361688938.png

1580361693221.png

(Source of photos, by Amir)

I hope I'm understanding the photos correctly, as it looks like it's a total of $7,100 EURO => $7,819 USD that Amir needs to purchase.

Please contribute your opinion, using this poll.

Also, feel free to post how much you want to commit/promise (in terms of $) towards these purchases, in the thread below.

Best!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm all for a comprehensive measure of the speakers in for review. I can contribute as a Baseline Member Supporter for $25. Can't do more because I am on a fixed income and times are tight.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes. I'm willing to donate as much as I can, as I said in the other thread. At this point $500. Only about 5% of the total cost, but it's still a decent chunk of my disposable income. It would be nice if others would also donate a decent chuck of their disposable income. We could get to the amount easily.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I vote no.

Enough speaker measurements down the line and we could probably fund an anechoic chamber instead. :)

Edit: The current suite of measurements is comprehensive enough.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm voting no for now. At least to start, I'd rather see the current measurements, which are the only ones we can reliably associate with preference, be the focus and refined to their best. I already feel like we can spend pages just interpreting a spinorama and some polar plots.

Granted, SPL limit testing is useful, especially for active speakers(compression *is* changing the frequency response) but it somewhat boggles my mind to pay thousands of euro for it. Of the modules listed, the third is the only one I'm personally interested, but it still seems like just doing a sweep at a couple of different levels will tell me what I need to know.

It's also worth remembering that not everyone comes into the forum from a place of expertise or speaker measuring experience. While a lot of us can look at the graphs and come up with our own conclusions mostly sans Amir's input, that's not the case for many others. So I somewhat worry about diluting Amir's spin analysis for the extra measurements. Though I suppose it's fine if those are just left as an a bonus (unless there's some remarkable or remarkably bad feature).

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'm voting no for now. At least to start, I'd rather see the current measurements, which are the only ones we can reliably associate with preference, be the focus and refined to their best. I already feel like we can spend pages just interpreting a spinorama and some polar plots.

Granted, SPL limit testing is useful, especially for active speakers(compression *is* changing the frequency response) but it somewhat boggles my mind to pay thousands of euro for it. Of the modules listed, the third is the only one I'm personally interested, but it still seems like just doing a sweep at a couple of different levels will tell me what I need to know.

It's also worth remembering that not everyone comes into the forum from a place of expertise or speaker measuring experience. While a lot of us can look at the graphs and come up with our own conclusions mostly sans Amir's input, that's not the case for many others. So I somewhat worry about diluting Amir's spin analysis for the extra measurements. Though I suppose it's fine if those are just left as an a bonus (unless there's some remarkable or remarkably bad feature).

Simplify the results. Work toward more comprehensive tests. (My god, I hope that is not construed as negative).

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I voted No. I'm sure Amir would like to have the added capacity those pieces of software provide. But, he has already done far more than what he "should" for the Forums, ASR. What he does with his money is his business.

Wombat

Master Contributor
If an incomplete series of tests serves a useful purpose that is fine.

If another 10% of the basic Klippel rig cost can give a better overall test credibility then that would be good.

Money, motivation and labour resource are constraints.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
We are still in the very early stages of speaker performance measurement. It is likely, as experience is gained, that measurements we now think important may become less so, and ones we may not even thought of will then be seen as useful.

That is, the 'list of additional software' - contents and priority - will change.

I vote to wait, until many more speakers of different types, sizes, designs are tested. Six months at least.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I’d hesitate to call Amir’s speaker measurements “incomplete”, as it seems rather dismissive of the time and effort he has been putting in already. I feel like the general consensus by most members is they don’t care, or they don’t wish to see such measurements at all. I’d say the former making up a vast majority, since it’s safe to assume for the some 40,000 views the speaker measurements Amir has posted, only a fraction of folks have voiced their wish to see even more comprehensive tests.

Wombat

Master Contributor
We are still in the very early stages of speaker performance measurement. It is likely, as experience is gained, that measurements we now think important may become less so, and ones we may not even thought of will then be seen as useful.

That is, the 'list of additional software' - contents and priority - will change.

I vote to wait, until many more speakers of different types, sizes, designs are tested. Six months at least.

There is no hurry. The objectives and constraints were not made clear up-front. Thus all this to-and-froing.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I’d hesitate to call Amir’s speaker measurements “incomplete”, as it seems rather dismissive of the time and effort he has been putting in already. I feel like the general consensus by most members is they don’t care, or they don’t wish to see such measurements at all. I’d say the former making up a vast majority, since it’s safe to assume for the some 40,000 views the speaker measurements Amir has posted, only a fraction of folks have voiced their wish to see even more comprehensive tests.

Saying the test regime is incomplete does not denigrate Amir's efforts. However there are more parameters that are considered constructive.

Yes, I mostly agree with your reply. :)

But, God, how do I have to couch my posts to please everyone?
uhmmmm - Copy.gif

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Saying the test regime is incomplete does not denigrate Amir's efforts. However there are more parameters that are considered constructive.

God, how do I have to couch my posts to please everyone? View attachment 47965
I agree with you. I’ve been pushing for THD and related measurements for speakers even before he posted his first set of measurements.

It feels like treading on egg shells when trying to discuss anything to do with Amir’s measurement process with him...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes, just needs a small contribution from members who so far haven’t, Wombat/restorer-john, literally a case of putting your money where your mouth is.
Keith

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes, just needs a small contribution from members who so far haven’t, Wombat/restorer-john, literally a case of putting your money where your mouth is.
Keith

So a free evaluation license needs a small contribution ……………….. .
whistle.gif

Name and shame reflects back on you and your bereft opinion.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I always like seeing multitones of everything, would be nice to see from speakers too.

Top Bottom