• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polar response is not the key

OP
A

Audiojim

I should just point out that a speaker can measure flat on-axis while having poor time alignment between drivers, box resonances, port huffing, rub & buzz, high IM distortion and a host of other maladies.

So why should we care about those maladies? if it's measuring flat then there's no further improvements possible.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm late to the thread and I haven't read every post. However, I have seen enough to give me the impression that the thread starter is experiencing the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Nothing that fancy. Just old-fashioned trolling.

OP
A

Audiojim

Nothing that fancy. Just old-fashioned trolling.
SIY, wikipedia says that ad hominem is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself

That is what you are doing which does nothing but diminish the credibility of your title of technical expert.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
SIY, what you are doing which does nothing but diminish the credibility of your title of technical expert.

Audiojim, what you are doing does nothing but confirm you are trolling.
Perhaps there should be a custom title below your name as well .... 'Trolling Expert'

Last edited:

Sawdust123

So why should we care about those maladies? if it's measuring flat then there's no further improvements possible.
You are stating an opinion as a fact. Try restating your point as a committed assertion by referencing the body of proof you are basing your opinion on. In prior posts I see that you have willfully ignored the scientific work of Toole and Olive. They backed up their assertions regarding off-axis response by conducting thousands of blind listening tests and determining the statistical relevance of their results. Do you have any such evidence to back that flat on-axis response is the ultimate measurement of speaker quality?

I have listed several speaker maladies that will not show up on a frequency response test. You are asking why you should care, so I'll explain two of them.

A frequency response test is just the measure of an output level achieved with a given input level for a particular frequency. When the signal is removed, the output should go to zero. However, this does not occur instantly and in the case of cabinet resonances, the signal could linger for quite a while. The on-axis response does not indicate how fast energy dissipates. Think of these resonances as a reverb effect that only works at certain frequencies.

As I said earlier, the frequency response test measures one frequency at a time (even in a chirp). Intermodulation distortion is a problem that occurs only when more than one frequency is present. High intermodulation between bass and mids creates a tremolo like effect on the mids. If you were to quickly move your forefinger up and down across your adams apple while talking, you get an idea what a high level of intermods sounds like.

I'm not a betting man. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the accusations that you are just trolling for fun are accurate. If you are not, then please provide a cogent basis for your assertion.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah , still got one in the chamber as it turns out.

Thanks Thomas - my face was getting bruised from all of the facepalms.

face bruised.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
:facepalm: :D

Aprude51

I'm not a betting man. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the accusations that you are just trolling for fun are accurate. If you are not, then please provide a cogent basis for your assertion.

I’ve read over your comment a couple of times, but am still not sure what specific claim this is referring to. Are you saying that Audiojim’s claim of polar response not being “key” is possibly accurate, even though he’s just trolling?

Last edited:
Top Bottom