• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Please help! Schiit Modi 2 not being recognized anymore by Windows?

rjp

UPDATE: Fixed Permanently!

I had the same issue, and applying heat to the chip identified a few pages back (CM6631 Audio processor) always made the DAC recognizable to my PC for a while until it cooled down. Well, I replaced the chip and now my Modi works perfectly!

The part was only 5.75 and is a simple fix if you know how to solder tiny stuff. There are some videos online showing how to do this sort of thing at home, but it definitely requires some experience and a lighted magnifying viewer. It has 100 pins, and can be done with small soldering iron or heat gun. I got the part here:

https://www.semiconductorstore.com/..._medium=InvoiceLine&utm_campaign=InvoiceEmail

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 10.30.01 AM.png

Last edited:
I had the same issue, and applying heat to the chip identified a few pages back (CM6631 Audio processor) always made the DAC recognizable to my PC for a while until it cooled down
Interesting, although i've got a Modi (v1) and it's internals are sparse in comparison to the Modi 2. Only about 3 chips, each with 4-8 pins. Same problem but on another chip? EDIT: stupid me forgot there's an underside to the PCB, and there it is, CM6631A.

Seems like they had a major quality issue at one point and it's across multiple products and generations.

Interestingly i'm still seeing a lot of recommendations for these products, and even posts of users willing to buy another after they've had one or more fail. Obviously people like these products, and for good reason. Maybe i'm just unlucky, but i've rarely had any devices fail on me, and for that reason i'd be very hesitant to buy another Modi.

Last edited:

rjp

Interesting, although i've got a Modi (v1) and it's internals are sparse in comparison to the Modi 2. Only about 3 chips, each with 4-8 pins. Same problem but on another chip? EDIT: stupid me forgot there's an underside to the PCB, and there it is, CM6631A.

Seems like they had a major quality issue at one point and it's across multiple products and generations.

Interestingly i'm still seeing a lot of recommendations for these products, and even posts of users willing to buy another after they've had one or more fail. Obviously people like these products, and for good reason. Maybe i'm just unlucky, but i've rarely had any devices fail on me, and for that reason i'd be very hesitant to buy another Modi.
I wonder if the issue was with the quality of the CM6631A chip supplier or the Modi circuit itself. So far mine is still working perfectly since I replaced the chip. So it could have been a bad run of ICs or possibly the Modi circuit stresses the chip beyond normal limits somehow?
In any event, it is great to have it working again. It really is a nice sounding DAC.

t.gaze

Hello All,

I found this thread a couple months ago, and have used the heat trick to connect to the Modi every time I restart windows. I think rjp is correct that its the USB Audio chip that has failed somehow. The heat must elevate the voltage or disconnect part of the IC to reset it somehow. I don't think reflowing the board would work, it probably takes replacing the IC.

A friend suggested using an optical Toslink cable to bypass the USB interface.

It worked!

I think I will try to replace the CM6631A at some point, but for now a $5 easy fix is getting an optical cable!

Thank you everyone that has contributed to this thread! You aren't alone!

ed1727

Hello All,

I found this thread a couple months ago, and have used the heat trick to connect to the Modi every time I restart windows. I think rjp is correct that its the USB Audio chip that has failed somehow. The heat must elevate the voltage or disconnect part of the IC to reset it somehow. I don't think reflowing the board would work, it probably takes replacing the IC.

A friend suggested using an optical Toslink cable to bypass the USB interface.

It worked!

I think I will try to replace the CM6631A at some point, but for now a $5 easy fix is getting an optical cable!

Thank you everyone that has contributed to this thread! You aren't alone!
t.gaze
Are you using the Modi 2? I don't have any optical inputs. Hairdryer method work, how stupid!

Kradziej

Registered to post that I also successfully fixed unrecognized issue by replacing CM6631A. At first I thought it cant be an IC problem, tried to heat up 3.3V LDO and it worked! So I replaced LDO but problem still persisted. You really only need a little heat to resurrect that pesky audio processor. Ordered 2 ICs from aliexpress, soldered "new" one and finally modi no longer blocks my computer from POSTing (also recognized in windows as a bonus).

There is no markings explanation in datasheet but I'm guessing numbers like 1801 and 1322 are in YYWW format, if so then I replaced fairly recent batch with old one. I wonder which batch may have issues, if ICs break across different batches then I doubt its IC fault...

Attachments

dhkimboa

UPDATE: Fixed Permanently!

I had the same issue, and applying heat to the chip identified a few pages back (CM6631 Audio processor) always made the DAC recognizable to my PC for a while until it cooled down. Well, I replaced the chip and now my Modi works perfectly!

The part was only 5.75 and is a simple fix if you know how to solder tiny stuff. There are some videos online showing how to do this sort of thing at home, but it definitely requires some experience and a lighted magnifying viewer. It has 100 pins, and can be done with small soldering iron or heat gun. I got the part here:

https://www.semiconductorstore.com/..._medium=InvoiceLine&utm_campaign=InvoiceEmail

View attachment 75387
did you get this for modi 2? is it the same part for modi 3?

i have a modi 2 with this problem I'd like to replace this part as well ~~
thanks for reading me

Top Bottom