• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 10 No output devices Is anyone having this problem?

hdspeakerman

When I try to use the USB portion of my desktop computer the speaker character has a red x on it and all I get is a message that says "No output devices. Devices are hooked up. Ocassionally a notification comes on the screen that says to add device and the red x is gone and I can play my Tidal music. Next morning same isssue.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

When I try to use the USB portion of my desktop computer the speaker character has a red x on it and all I get is a message that says "No output devices. Devices are hooked up. Ocassionally a notification comes on the screen that says to add device and the red x is gone and I can play my Tidal music. Next morning same isssue.
That sounds more like a USB controller or a Windows problem than an audio problem to me. You will most likely have better chances looking for help on Windows forums.

From what you described, sound like it might be a USB controller hardware or driver issue. If I were you, I'd try updating the USB And Audio drivers and see if that does anything.

nerdstrike

It's not so very uncommon to have usb controllers crap out especially if there's a hub involved. Turn everything as off as it will go, both controller and client devices. Unplug, power up and reintroduce devices one after another with device manager open to see what happens. Be on the lookout for unidentified devices that don't resolve themselves with a bit of waiting.

Depending on the device you might have multiple controllers (they operate pairs of ports), so you can try plugging into another pair to see if just one controller has failed.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Go into device settings and uncheck power management for all your USB hubs, ports, and check audio devices. In power management do the same thing for media playback. Power management is the enemy of audio equipment. They're such low power devices you don't save anything anyway.

OP
H

hdspeakerman

Thank you for all your advice. Most of it was too high level for me as I am not very good with computers but I tried something and now I can play thru my USB stuff. I bought a USB A to USB C adapter. After plugging it in I plugged in a USB C to USB C cord all the way to my dac. Problem solved?

nerdstrike

Don't knock it if it works! Computers are complex piles of software and hardware 80 layers deep. Nobody truly knows the whole system, so we make guesses based on experience.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't knock it if it works! Computers are complex piles of software and hardware 80 layers deep. Nobody truly knows the whole system, so we make guesses based on experience.
Sound like the beginnings of a new religion.

Top Bottom