• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help - audio doesn't work

danchme

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect the Nikkei NMD370 to my Samsung TV to be able to properly watch movies.
1680620969330.png

I received it from a friend who has used it before and it was working fine for him in the following way (and I followed his steps):
1. I connected the two speakers with the red and black cords to the dvd player.
2. I connected the white and red audio cables to the dvd player.
3. I am connected to power.
1680621073044.png

4. The white and red audio cables that go into the dvd player (above) is connected to the headphones jack in my Samsung tv (see below).

1680621047864.png

I also have a Google chromecast to which I stream.

My friend had the exact same installation and for him it all worked perfectly:
- he could adjust the chromecast volume on his phone (I can too)
- he could adjust the speakers volume with the TV remote (I can too)
- he could adjust the speakers volume with the dvd player itself (this I cannot)

For some reason when I adjust the volume on the dvd player, nothing happens. I see on the screen of the dvd player that the volume is going up or down (range from 0 to 36), but nothing happens to the actual volume I'm hearing.
As a result I am left with a bit of a low volume when watching stuff on my TV. It works, but I can sense that it's not it's max volume (or anywhere near) and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can help me!

Someone knows whether this could be caused by my tv, or whether I try different cables, etc.

Thank you so much in advance.

Daniel

OP
D

danchme

@Sokel Thanks a lot for responding, much appreciated!!

I'm not sure where to find it. Somewher in Sound settings?

1680622836868.png

1680622860714.png

1680622872984.png

1680622887572.png

1680622896320.png

1680622907446.png

1680622918114.png

Again, thanks so much for the help!

Daniel

chelgrian

Just found it; it was already in PCM!
View attachment 277060
That's not actually relevant as it only affects the digital output.

The reason it doesn't work is the connections on the rear of the unit are outputs so you have connected an output to an output.

From the very sparse manual for this unit the audio input is the 3.5mm connector on the front labeled line in in the manual so you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and to connect to that.

BenjaminB

spdif as you can see in the last pic is an optical fibre. You are not using that.

Now very clear but it seems to me that you have connected your stereo/DVD to the headphone outlet on the TV. Then you have to see to that the TV feed the audio to the headphone outlet.
On the DVD you have to select the input you are using (the red/white connectors, your pic doesn't show what's written below).

Sokel

Master Contributor

The reason it doesn't work is the connections on the rear of the unit are outputs so you have connected an output to an output.

From the very sparse manual for this unit the audio input is the 3.5mm connector on the front labeled line in in the manual so you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and to connect to that.
Are you sure about that?

line in.PNG

14 is labeled as Line IN.

OP
D

danchme

spdif as you can see in the last pic is an optical fibre. You are not using that.

Now very clear but it seems to me that you have connected your stereo/DVD to the headphone outlet on the TV. Then you have to see to that the TV feed the audio to the headphone outlet.
On the DVD you have to select the input you are using (the red/white connectors, your pic doesn't show what's written below).
So this is what's beneath the white and red connectors, basically L and R:
1680624142976.png

I have indeed connected my stereo/DVD to the headphone outlet of the TV. I think the part about making sure the TV feeds the audio to the headphone outlet is covered, since I do hear the audio through the speakers. Only thing is I cannot adjust the volume on the stereo/DVD (only on my TV, but if I set it to max, 100, sound, it's still not as loud as can be). My friend was able to also adjust volume on the stereo/DVD itself.

Any tips? I'm really a newbie but thanks for helping all!

OP
D

danchme

Thanks for looking into it, @chelgrian
I'm not sure I get what you mean; the speakers work but I cannot adjust volume on the stereo/DVD.
You mention a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable but I'm not sure where I can connect a 3.5mm into the stereo/DVD. The 'line in' in the manual is a different connector, the white/red ones.

MAB

Major Contributor
View attachment 277065

I have indeed connected my stereo/DVD to the headphone outlet of the TV. I think the part about making sure the TV feeds the audio to the headphone outlet is covered, since I do hear the audio through the speakers. Only thing is I cannot adjust the volume on the stereo/DVD (only on my TV, but if I set it to max, 100, sound, it's still not as loud as can be). My friend was able to also adjust volume on the stereo/DVD itself.

If I understand your pictures, it seems you have it hooked up wrong (easy to do!!!). The Output of the NIKKEI is hooked up to the headphone Output of the TV.
If I understand your goal, you want to play whatever you are listening on the TV over the NIKKEI's speakers.
1680624558298.png

Hooks up to:
1680624588582.png

Select the "Optical Input" on the NIKKIE remote. Turn the spekers on the TV OFF. You should now be able to listen to any content that is playing on the TV through the NIKKEI's speakers and operate the sound remotely.

Sokel

Master Contributor
View attachment 277065

Have you selected the "line In" on the DVD player?

OP
D

danchme

If I understand your pictures, it seems you have it hooked up wrong (easy to do!!!). The Output of the NIKKEI is hooked up to the headphone Output of the TV.
If I understand your goal, you want to play whatever you are listening on the TV over the NIKKEI's speakers.
View attachment 277066
Hooks up to:
View attachment 277067

Select the "Optical Input" on the NIKKIE remote. Turn the spekers on the TV OFF. You should now be able to listen to any content that is playing on the TV through the NIKKEI's speakers and operate the sound remotely.
Hi @MAB thanks for looking into it.
One caveat: I don't have the remote anymore.
Would it still be an option to try it with an optical connector, or would the NIKKEI device not be able to read it properly?

OP
D

danchme

Sokel

Master Contributor
My friend lost the remote, so I'm not able to do anything in that regard.
However, he used the exact same set-up, so we're kind of confused..
He mentioned I could also try this connector:
View attachment 277068

Do you guys think it could work? @MAB @chelgrian @BenjaminB @Sokel

Thanks!
You don't need the remote to choose the line in,you can do it by the source menu button on the DVD (as any other function I think).

MAB

Major Contributor

MAB

Major Contributor
Hi @MAB thanks for looking into it.
One caveat: I don't have the remote anymore.
Would it still be an option to try it with an optical connector, or would the NIKKEI device not be able to read it properly?
NP on the remote, so long as you can select the optical input using the menu and buttons on the front panel.

Sokel

Master Contributor
One thing... I think "12. Line In" selects the 3.5mm jack on the front panel. And I think the "14. Line In" on the back panel is a translation error and should be "14. Line Out".
View attachment 277069

I do think using the optical out on the NIKKEI to the optical in on your TV is the way to go...
You never know with the translated stuff,I just relied on the fact that it was working that way in the previous owner.

MAB

Major Contributor
You never know with the translated stuff,I just relied on the fact that it was working that way in the previous owner.
Yeah, and I get so confused hooking up TV stuff. Always dusty and upside down when I am crawling around back there...;)
I am pretty sure OP is one simple trick away from getting this hooked up properly.

Top Bottom