• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Playing Android phone audio via DLNA

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone know of an Android app. that will intercept the phone's audio output and cast it as DLNA to a renderer sitting on the network?

In case this is important, I am not interested in playing content that exists within the phone's storage. I merely want to be able to listen to the phone audio in rather better quality than the phone itself is capable of. Not too long ago this would have been accomplished by simply connecting a lead into a 3.5mm jack on the phone. But that would be too easy…

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know of an Android app. that will intercept the phone's audio output and cast it as DLNA to a renderer sitting on the network?

In case this is important, I am not interested in playing content that exists within the phone's storage. I merely want to be able to listen to the phone audio in rather better quality than the phone itself is capable of. Not too long ago this would have been accomplished by simply connecting a lead into a 3.5mm jack on the phone. But that would be too easy…
Think you can share other music apps to bubble upnp which can then dlna

OP
Pluto

Pluto

Forum Donor
BubbleUPnP
Thanks for pointing at this. I have installed the trial version and, unless I am missing something, while it appears to be able to cast all manner of files from here, there and everywhere to DLNA, I cannot see how it does what I actually need which is to intercept the system audio to enable other apps to play their output via DLNA. My mission here, specifically, is to play the output of the BBC Sounds app to an external renderer in order to hear something better than phone-quality audio.

OTOH my experience with Android/Linux is very limited so if I am missing the obvious, please say so.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for pointing at this. I have installed the trial version and, unless I am missing something, while it appears to be able to cast all manner of files from here, there and everywhere to DLNA, I cannot see how it does what I actually need which is to intercept the system audio to enable other apps to play their output via DLNA. My mission here, specifically, is to play the output of the BBC Sounds app to an external renderer in order to hear something better than phone-quality audio.

OTOH my experience with Android/Linux is very limited so if I am missing the obvious, please say so.
The only way I see is to send audio via Blutooth, so you need a BT receiver. There are models with SPDIF output so SQ suffers only through the BT compression. I have such a receiver and for my aging ears there is no audible loss in SQ.

mansr

Major Contributor
My mission here, specifically, is to play the output of the BBC Sounds app to an external renderer in order to hear something better than phone-quality audio.
I don't think that's possible without "rooting" the device. It certainly used to be the case.

If you have a spare Android device, it could be worth setting it up as needed and use it for that purpose only. A rooted phone should not be used for everyday browsing and such. If any malware got in, it would have unfettered access to everything.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Depends on the source app I believe . In Tidal, for eg, one of the in app settings is "share to" , allows you to share the stream to Bubble. Once in bubble you can then DLNA that to whatever receiver. Not sure if the BBC Sounds app allows. Will look.

EDIT- cant see any "share" buttons in BBC sounds, so no, wont work. I realise you want the whole system sounds sharing, never known how to do that, sorry.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor

BBC Sounds app itself will cast to Chromecast devices but not DLNA. I'd get a Chromecast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-123426.png
    Screenshot_20210425-123426.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 233
OP
Pluto

Pluto

Forum Donor
Thanks for all your contributions. To cover the various points in no particular order:
  • rooting the phone is not an option because there are obvious security risks. While I could get another device purely for this purpose, that rather defeats the elegance of using one device to do it all!
  • I have a bedroom system, essentially an Internet radio with DLNA rendering ability, feeding bed-size powered speakers. It's convenient, simple, reliable and sounds excellent so I'm not going to rejig a good working setup to achieve this; it isn't that important.
  • This does irritate insofar as what I want to do is feed an extension speaker – I have no doubt that the audio quality is entirely satisfactory right up to the phone's internal transducer which is very good, for a phone!
I cannot be the only person on the planet who desires to play phone audio through something other than earbuds, and all the dicking about necessary to (not) achieve this fundamentally simple task says something about the technological direction being wrong.

tw99

If plugging in a 3.5mm headphone jack would have worked for you, why not just get a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle ? They are cheap.

Another more complicated way of achieving what you want would be to get a Raspberry PI with LMS running (e.g. PiCoreplayer or build it yourself), and use the BBC Sounds plugin within LMS + the DLNA bridge to send audio to your existing system. You can control it from your phone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for all your contributions. To cover the various points in no particular order:
  • rooting the phone is not an option because there are obvious security risks. While I could get another device purely for this purpose, that rather defeats the elegance of using one device to do it all!
  • I have a bedroom system, essentially an Internet radio with DLNA rendering ability, feeding bed-size powered speakers. It's convenient, simple, reliable and sounds excellent so I'm not going to rejig a good working setup to achieve this; it isn't that important.
  • This does irritate insofar as what I want to do is feed an extension speaker – I have no doubt that the audio quality is entirely satisfactory right up to the phone's internal transducer which is very good, for a phone!
I cannot be the only person on the planet who desires to play phone audio through something other than earbuds, and all the dicking about necessary to (not) achieve this fundamentally simple task says something about the technological direction being wrong.

I fear the powers that be would have us using super duper streamers , or Bluetooth. Or, buy into the Sonos/ Amazon Echo type ecosystem.

OP
Pluto

Pluto

Forum Donor
get a Raspberry PI with LMS running (e.g. PiCoreplayer or build it yourself), and use the BBC Sounds plugin within LMS + the DLNA bridge to send audio to your existing system. You can control it from your phone.
Look, I need an approach that I can operate when I awake in a stupor at 4am o_O

There are always means by which these things can be done but I'm trying to stick to sensible simplicity here.

tw99

Look, I need an approach that I can operate when I awake in a stupor at 4am o_O

There are always means by which these things can be done but I'm trying to stick to sensible simplicity here.

OK, well what about the dongle then ?

OP
Pluto

Pluto

Forum Donor
Possibly, but I think I've reached the point of it all being too much hassle. My internet radio will quite happily do BBC broadcast radio and all I gain with the Sounds app is back-episodes. I'm not going to install a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo to perform a task that should, fundamentally, be straightforward.

Mike-48

@Pluto - I was looking for the same thing but gave up. I believe it doesn't exist.

I finally got a BluDento BLT-HD Bluetooth receiver via eBay. This does a nice job. It doesn't sound quite as good as pure WiFi/DLNA, but if using aptX HD, it's not bad at all. I use its Toslink output. It also has SPDIF coax. I recommend it, unless you are looking for ultimate fidelity. It's really easy to use.

The other option would running a USB cable from the Android device to a USB input of the DAC. To me, that would be a real pain (because I'd have to unplug another device from the back of the DAC, not easily accessible).

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
Not too long ago this would have been accomplished by simply connecting a lead into a 3.5mm jack on the phone. But that would be too easy…
Why all the complexity of DLNA if you can hardwire by using a USB dongle connected to the phone?

Top Bottom