• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Play multichannel FLAC files on my AVR

Dogen

Forum Donor
Hi folks! I’m putting together a little 5.1 system in our bedroom, and would like to be able to play multichannel FLAC files on a hard drive through my Denon s760h AVR. I do this easily in my main system with an Oppo BluRay player, using usb from the drive to the Oppo and HDMI out to the AVR. Short of getting another Oppo (expensive!) how can I do this? I really want to buy a device, and not get into building a RPi or something. Will any BluRay player with a USB input serve? Specific device recommendations would be appreciated.

I just need a basic file navigation system, ideally from my iPad or iPhone, and gapless playback of the MCH FLAC files. Exactly what the Oppo does, without the high cost, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,
Bob

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
I do this w/ an Eversolo DMP-A6 into a Marantz AV10 via HDMI.
Thanks for that! Nice unit. I was hoping to spend less though. I’ve seen some reports that the Sony X800-M2 BluRay player works — any experience with this?

rogu3

SoundsGood64

Here is a compilation of methods from several ASR posters on doing 5.1 gapless playback for DSD files (but would also apply to FLAC files):

One straightfoward solution for you might be LibreElec(Kodi) on a laptop or PC with an HDMI or DisplayPort output. You could just have all your flac files on the laptop itself. My laptop has a mDP which I just convert to HDMI using an adapter and then to AVR. I also use an Oppo 103 but prefer the Kodi/laptop for files because it's easier, faster, and can do gapless over the network. One can control LibreElec(Kodi) with iphone/ipad. Here's my post with details:

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
Here is a compilation of methods from several ASR posters on doing 5.1 gapless playback for DSD files (but would also apply to FLAC files):

One straightfoward solution for you might be LibreElec(Kodi) on a laptop or PC with an HDMI or DisplayPort output. You could just have all your flac files on the laptop itself. My laptop has a mDP which I just convert to HDMI using an adapter and then to AVR. I also use an Oppo 103 but prefer the Kodi/laptop for files because it's easier, faster, and can do gapless over the network. One can control LibreElec(Kodi) with iphone/ipad. Here's my post with details:
Thank you…this is very helpful

chelgrian

Has anyone tried to get a multichannel FLAC to play from a USB key on a Panasonic Blu-ray Player? It's frustratingly close via USB I get the LCR from my channel test tracks but not the surrounds?

popej

I have looked for a solution for some time. I can play multichannel flac from Sony Blu-ray and from some programs on Google TV. Both solution turn on TV, which is not good.
Now I have moved to Kodi. Actually it is Coreelec installed on Amlogic TV Box connected by HDMI to AVR. As a remote I use smartphone with Kore app.

I don't like Kodi. It is complicated and operating it goes completely against my habits. But it works. And generic TV Box is really inexpensive.

StigErik

Forum Donor
Thanks for that! Nice unit. I was hoping to spend less though. I’ve seen some reports that the Sony X800-M2 BluRay player works — any experience with this?
Yes, that works. I've only tried it with a hard-drive plugged into the USB port.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
Thought I’d check in and say, I’ve solved the issue. I’m using Plex to stream multichannel files through my Apple TV 4k to my Denon receiver. It’s gapless and works very well.

MusicFans

Avdshare Audio Converter can convert unsupported FLAC, APE, WAV, M4A, AIFF etc to the supported audio format.

Top Bottom