• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Native DSD Files + Qobuz / UPnP Streamer / DAC options

tc2007

Looking for players (ideally built in DAC) that can play DSD files from USB drives natively and Qobuz (Native / UPnP) streaming. Those are my to main sources. So far I have found:

1. Cambridge MXN10 / AXN10 - $499/$599 (not sure if it does native DSD)
  2. Cambridge CXN V2 - $899 - No native
  3. Aune S10N - $699
  4. EverSolo DMP-A6 - $899
  5. Pretty much any modern AVR / Stereo receiver - (not sure if it does native DSD).
  6. SMSL SD9 (Qobuz via UPnP)
  7. Fiio R7 Android DAP
Are there any other options I missed?

Surprisingly the cheapest option is something like a Marantz NR1200 + an external amp via pre-outs. But these are the noisiest players out there :p

linuxfan

Are there any other options I missed?
You missed what are probably the two most talked-about audio streamers presently on hifi forums and hifi review sites; the WiiM and Bluesound NODE
The WiiM will play DSD64 natively, but converts DSD128 to PCM. The NODE converts all DSD content to PCM.
WiiM supports DLNA (as an endpoint) but does not presently support SMB/CIFS. NODE does not support DLNA, but does support SMB/CIFS.
Both WiiM and NODE support Qobuz, via their dedicated control apps (best option) and also via AirPlay.

OP
T

tc2007

No I didn't miss them as I owned them both. Still use the Node currently. I wouldn't be looking if Node did play Native DSD, otherwise it does everything I want. Wiim doesn't do direct USB files unfortunately and the app sucks. You get what you pay for haha

linuxfan

iFi ZEN Stream ?
https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-stream/
When first released the ZEN's software was buggy, but I see it's still in production, and has won a bunch of awards. Hopefully this means its software is now stable.
Native DSD, up to DSD256
Qobuz
DLNA
External USB drives
Roon bridge
External USB DAC's (not many commercial streamers support this)

dadregga

No I didn't miss them as I owned them both. Still use the Node currently. I wouldn't be looking if Node did play Native DSD, otherwise it does everything I want. Wiim doesn't do direct USB files unfortunately and the app sucks. You get what you pay for haha

You won't find anything better. If you have a piece of kit that does well for you, I wouldn't seek to replace it for nonexistent benefits.

There is no remotely audible difference between DSD (PDM) to PCM conversion within modern DAC chips.

There is no practical or measurable benefit to "pure DSD". DSD-PCM conversions have been tested and measured extensively here and elsewhere - no one has ever come across even a remotely theoretically audible difference introduced by the conversion.

thon

iFi ZEN Stream ?
https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-stream/
When first released the ZEN's software was buggy, but I see it's still in production, and has won a bunch of awards. Hopefully this means its software is now stable.
Native DSD, up to DSD256
Qobuz
DLNA
External USB drives
Roon bridge
External USB DAC's (not many commercial streamers support this)
yes, the Software is stable.
In addition to your list it also supports Tidal, Spotify, Signalyst NAA.
No built in DAC, of course.

Neil74

I have the Cambridge MXN10 and it does native DSD, I am very happy with it. I also have the DacMagic 200M and I am honestly not sure I need it now as the MXN10 sounds excellent standalone, running my CD player through it though so am keeping it for now.

I’d echo the comments above though re DSD though, I am not sure I can tell the difference but I had a load of ripped SACDs and it was an itch I had to scratch. The WiiM Mini running through the DacMagic sounded pretty damn good too. I had the BS node briefly before I got the MXN10 and it is better as a stand-alone device than the node IMO. For the money though I am not sure you will find better than the MXN10/AXN10 and DSD is just a bonus.

thehague

I have the Cambridge MXN10 and it does native DSD, I am very happy with it. I also have the DacMagic 200M and I am honestly not sure I need it now as the MXN10 sounds excellent standalone, running my CD player through it though so am keeping it for now.

I’d echo the comments above though re DSD though, I am not sure I can tell the difference but I had a load of ripped SACDs and it was an itch I had to scratch. The WiiM Mini running through the DacMagic sounded pretty damn good too. I had the BS node briefly before I got the MXN10 and it is better as a stand-alone device than the node IMO. For the money though I am not sure you will find better than the MXN10/AXN10 and DSD is just a bonus.
What is your way of operating native DSD on your MXN10? I have tried using Foobar2000 but got nowhere so far, whereas Foo plays fine on an external DAC.

OP
T

tc2007

The official Cambridge app should do DSD files.

OP
T

tc2007

I don't have the MXN10 anymore but when I had it, The DSF files were on the USB drive attached to the MXN10 directly.

thehague

I don't have the MXN10 anymore but when I had it, The DSF files were on the USB drive attached to the MXN10 directly.
Thanks for your reply. That explains! I’m trying to play DSD over network, which should be possible. No luck yet.

Tom Schultz

Saw your question. Still need an answer?

I play DSD on the mxn10 from a Synology NAS with MinimServer installed. It‘s perfect as it lets you filter for DSD files. I use either the StreamMagic app or 8player or mconnect DLNA apps. It also works when I play the files on the NAS through Audirvāna via UPnP on a mac.

Diz

I also play DSF primarily through a USB drive, looking for a new solution. I’m curious about what you ended up with and why - thx.

OP
T

tc2007

I currently have a PC with Kodi and UPnP rendering service enabled, a DAC attached via USB. Works very well. Kodi plays DSD and FLAC whereas I use BubbleUPnP for Qobuz streaming. Works very well. Don't think DSD is fully native but I can live with it.

I needed the PC as a media server for Video so the dedicated streamer was kind of redundant and the external DAC is much better.

Top Bottom