• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 Center Speaker Review

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Infinity C263 is 3 way. Mid-range is below tweeter. Two 6.5 woofers. Big enclosure. Spinorama is very good for a center channel. Sale ended last week. Amir has Infinity 162 in line to measure

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I think we need to be more forgiving of center channel measurements. The design by necessity is flawed. You have to squeeze a speaker under a monitor. I have measured placing a bookshelf under the monitor. I have to place the monitor too high. Looking up at a screen for long periods of time is painful. Monitor over a fireplace makes me cringe. It is like watching sports at a bar. Neck starts aching after 30 minutes.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Pretty Speaker Graphs: Some speakers shoot a laser beam, some shoot out a sword, this one looks like it shot a bullet and there is smoke trailing behind...

QMuse

Major Contributor
THD is falling below 2.6kHz as a result of the high-pass tweeter filter.

I still believe THD is falling below 2.6kHz as a result of low pass filter for mid driver at 2.6khz which is cutting mid output hence THD is falling as well.

Of course there are some mid drivers with THD peaks towards high frequencies, but I have measured dozens of tweeters and almost all have sharp rising THD below some 1.5 - 3 kHz.

That is true. But it seems to large for me as it is below XO so it has been reduced.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, Amir. Just wondering if the KNFS generates phase data for the measurements or if that is one of those 'ups and extras' that cost real money? If it does, could that be included in the Spin data dump?
It does generate phase data, both for the response and for 3-D visualization.
If software can output impulse response as txt-file and the dialog procedure is easy enough to handle IR txt-file could be wrapped into Zip-folder, @48kHz probably something ala below for this ones system phase :)
IR_prediction.png

Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think we need to be more forgiving of center channel measurements. The design by necessity is flawed. You have to squeeze a speaker under a monitor. I have measured placing a bookshelf under the monitor. I have to place the monitor too high. Looking up at a screen for long periods of time is painful. Monitor over a fireplace makes me cringe. It is like watching sports at a bar. Neck starts aching after 30 minutes.
Normal TV monitor height (for relaxed viewing) dictates rather low shelf for center loudspeaker, but it is possible (I have done it at several home theater setups). Or placing center speaker just above the monitor. So, the center loudspeaker design is not flawed, the Wife Acceptance Factor is! :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Monitor over a fireplace makes me cringe. It is like watching sports at a bar. Neck starts aching after 30 minutes.

This is what I ended up going with.

Gives a little more flexibility for center channel, in addition to the obvious benefit to neck angle.

UpandDownSidebySide_1_large.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Monitor over a fireplace makes me cringe. It is like watching sports at a bar. Neck starts aching after 30 minutes.
My wife wanted the TV in the snug over the mantlepiece. She prefers it that way and I certainly haven't noticed any neck ache, ever, and she has had various TVs there over the last 20 years.
She doesn't like "stupidly big" screens either.
I usually watch tv using a projector on a big screen but if the family are together in the snug I watch the one over the mantlepiece and what you write had never occured to me.
Mind you sports bars are not common in England and I've never been in one here...

Top Bottom