• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Photos of rooms with acoustic treatment products

Willem

Major Contributor
I think those extensively treated rooms are fugly. Its not just wives who care for esthetics

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From practical point of view, all these panels can be decorated by nice neutral cloth.
I have no problems with any design and suppose those rooms might be used as architectural headphones. It's hard to make small room with good sweet spot for few people.
Regarding WAF, i think it's better to ignore it at all if possible or go phones. Making long lasting hobby just one more compromise is not what i could stand.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
This is my personal listening room...

Attachments

• E3D2FAB9-B907-4350-B39E-C611827B02E9.jpeg
    E3D2FAB9-B907-4350-B39E-C611827B02E9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 371

Somafunk

Major Contributor
There's some very very nice rooms on this thread so I thought I’ll bring the standard down a peg or two, my room done on the cheap (relatively speaking) with GIK acoustic treatment, not yet finished yet as I have 3 panels to mount on ceiling above desk for first reflections and flooring to go down.

50933084102_f09f0aab31_k.jpg

50933083712_9999f45162_k.jpg

50835075161_542ec4b6b6_k.jpg

50932274233_407d745793_k.jpg

Trdat

Forum Donor
Some of those rooms are exactly what you DON'T want as a listening room.

Are these extreme diffusive techniques not what you want to do? Or are they what's right?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
GIK acoustic treatment, not yet finished yet as I have 3 panels to mount on ceiling above desk for first reflections and flooring to go down.
Very nice, handsome panels that don't cost a fortune. They will be near the top of my short list when I start looking to get my room tamed a bit.
Thanks a whole bunch for the info.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I don't have that many accustic panels yet. There is a big Basotect panel behind the TV. Another 4 on the wall to the right. And 2 behind the listening position.

Attachments

• IMG_20210907_093846.jpg
    IMG_20210907_093846.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 181

bo_knows

I'm not sure I ever felt like I came close to understanding this argument. Most conventional loudspeakers are primarily or increasingly forward-radiating above the modal region. Consequently, the most specular or mirror-like reflections are from the wall behind the listener, though earlier and less timbrally similar (depending on the radiation pattern of the loudspeaker) reflections are likely to occur from the floor, ceiling, and sidewall directions. Diffusion panels placed at these locations could reduce the level of specular reflections reaching the listening position significantly, though phase effects could potentially have detrimental effect, especially if the relative position with respect to the listener is too close. Reflections off the front wall are likely to be lower in frequency content or timbre, some of which may approach or potentially be lower than the frequency limit of diffusion suggested by the depth of the diffusion panels involved. Specular reflections off the wall reaching the mid-front wall may be low in level, depending on sidewall and rearwall treatments, anyway.

Even with dipolar speakers, these are typically toed in toward the listener, so mid-front wall treatments are less likely to be beneficial. Better to position the diffusion panels to address the rear wave of the dipole, according to Linkwitz. Probably the best case scenario for mid-front wall diffusion is for omnipolar speakers.

However, there is certainly the visual aspect, which likely has a significant effect.

Young-Ho
Diffusion panels placed at these locations could reduce the level of specular reflections reaching the listening position significantly, though phase effects could potentially have detrimental effect, especially if the relative position with respect to the listener is too close. Bingo! My findings are, in the small to medium room size, add as much absorption as you can afford and add scatter plates to keep mid and hi-frequency alive. I think people see quadratic diffusers deployed on the back wall of the studio with the sofa in front of it and they think they can do the same thing in their room. These diffusers are not there for the customers but for the engineer who sits in the front part of the room and has at least 8 feet of distance from those diffusers.

youngho

Bingo! My findings are, in the small to medium room size, add as much absorption as you can afford and add scatter plates to keep mid and hi-frequency alive. I think people see quadratic diffusers deployed on the back wall of the studio with the sofa in front of it and they think they can do the same thing in their room. These diffusers are not there for the customers but for the engineer who sits in the front part of the room and has at least 8 feet of distance from those diffusers.

Alternatively, I was reading about the Early Sound Scattering studio control room approach, and revisiting the Ambechoic concept, I had forgotten about this quote from Peter D'Antonio: "This design is quite straight forward. Utilise broad-bandwidth, two-dimensional diffusors on the mid-third area of all walls and ceiling..."

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Very nice, handsome panels that don't cost a fortune.

Cheers Sal, just noticed you replied to my post so apologies for tardy reply.

Got a pair (obviously) of Dynaudio LYD 48’s 3-way arriving soon so it’ll be interesting to compare with my KRK’s, and also 2 more GIK 600 mm x 1200 mm monster bass traps with range limiter to sit on the floor against the front wall behind the desk. Dunno if I’ll need to keep the KRK 10s sub in the system with the LYD 48’s but we’ll see, if I think it makes a worthwhile difference then I’ll prob get the matching Dynaudio 18s sub at some point.

youngho: there’s no need for that, it’s just showing off - we all now feel inadequate ;)

(Nah……looks bloody awesome)

bo_knows

Diffusion panels placed at these locations could reduce the level of specular reflections reaching the listening position significantly, though phase effects could potentially have detrimental effect, especially if the relative position with respect to the listener is too close. Bingo! My findings are, in the small to medium room size, add as much absorption as you can afford and add scatter plates to keep mid and hi-frequency alive. I think people see quadratic diffusers deployed on the back wall of the studio with the sofa in front of it and they think they can do the same thing in their room. These diffusers are not there for the customers but for the engineer who sits in the front part of the room and has at least 8 feet of distance from those diffusers.

GIK acoustics just made a video about it.

youngho

GIK acoustics just made a video about it.

I'm sorry, but I did not find this to be helpful. Based on my limited understanding:

1. "Sound waves that are too large to complete a full cycle within the room start to create areas of low and high pressure that will throw off your bass response." Second- and higher-order axial (and other) modes already have nodes and anti-nodes. Also, frequencies below that of the lowest room mode do not have nodes or antinodes.
2. I'm not sure that I consider Alpha "diffusers" as true diffusion elements, but rather tuned absorbers with some mild scattering/diffusion characteristics.
3. "Using dedicated diffusers...ends up being a waste of space." Ironically, the screenshot above seems to show Alpha "diffusers" in exactly the location that we were discussing.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Most so called diffusers on the market are simply scattering units which distributes the sound in a non-homogenous way or focuses parts of the frequencies in certain directions. True diffusion has an even polar.

Polar lobing.jpg

Diffusjon vs spredning.jpg

youngho

@Bjorn , can you comment on use of diffusers on the front wall between speakers, also at first reflection points other than the floor or the wall behind the listening position?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Bjorn , can you comment on use of diffusers on the front wall between speakers, also at first reflection points other than the floor or the wall behind the listening position?
Depends on the directivity of the speakers, distance to surfaces from ear, whether the specular reflections arrive early or late after the direct signal, bandwidth of the diffuser, and what acoustic principle/design you want to follow. Latter will depend on whether it's a 2 channel stereo setup or home a theater for several listeners besides taste.

Personally I prefer absorping or redirecting reflections that arrive earlier than approximately 10-12 ms and diffuse later ones. Or sometimes use a hybrid product that diffuse higher frequencies and absorb lower ones (mainly in the area of 8-12 ms after the direct signal).

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I wouldn't mind possessing/acquiring/building something similar..
IMO that's good example of how to not treat a room. Just random placed absorption panels and some simple scattering units with no clear design idea. There is way too much mid and high frequency absorption and no proper diffusion. A room can be designed much better.

Top Bottom