• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Photos of rooms with acoustic treatment products

kach22i

One thing I find curious in some for the 'fully treated' room with the High End Electronics. There are large racks full of equipment between the speakers. This wouldn't seem to help room acoustics as all, lots of hard surfaces that create reflections that would be unwanted.

Are most of the rooms being measured to determine if the acoustics of the room are being optimized?
Excellent observation, and one I struggled with myself and in the process I relocated my audio racks to the sidewalls.

More of that story here:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/kach22is-system.30259/

To answer your last question, information on acoustics for 2-channel stereo rooms with a solo sweetspot is hard to come by. Almost all information is catered to multiple seating locations for home theater.

This is why there is so much bother about whole room even frequency responses/measurements. They want to sell you four subwoofers and a crossover to control them all 5k + 5k, another $10,000 on top of what ever you already spent.

If I put that 10k into room acoustics and construction I will be far better off in my opinion.

Now that I know my subwoofer sounds best dead center between my mains I want to create a soft outer shell conga drum shaped push/pull subwoofer out of my old M&K sub to cut down on enclosure reflections.

Who ever came up hard flat sided boxes for speaker enclosures must have been crazy.

Wrong shape/geometry inside and outside.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One thing I find curious in some for the 'fully treated' room with the High End Electronics. There are large racks full of equipment between the speakers. This wouldn't seem to help room acoustics as all, lots of hard surfaces that create reflections that would be unwanted.

Are most of the rooms being measured to determine if the acoustics of the room are being optimized?

If anything it will help. Audiophiles focus too much on the front wall...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
which electronics equipment makes the best diffusor?

kach22i

which electronics equipment makes the best diffusor?
The smallest and on the shortest audio rack.

The leather wrapped shelves, turntables and speakers hold an appeal to me reflection wise.

One guy in a forum paid a professional to engineer/design his dedicated room. Special construction and acoustic treatments, even curtains with their own patent.

Nothing in the front soundstage but the two main speakers and a large painting in the middle of the front wall backed with insulation.

Story goes, a week after it all finished he gets a call, she tells him to move the audio rack back 6-inches along the sidewall.

Pain in the butt to do, but he trusts her.

Sure enough a big gain in soundstage, must have been catching an early reflection or something.

kach22i

Happy Sunday everyone,
given Willem's request for photos of multimedia rooms with acoustic treatment really used every day.....
Why no acoustic treatments on side walls at first and second early reflection points?

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/reflection-free-zone/
reflection-free-zone-first-reflection-points-treatment-w620.jpg

EDIT:

From link above.......QUOTE

The Haas effect tells us that if an early reflection arrives at your listening position, say, 20 ms after the direct sound, you don’t have to treat it because it’s not going to ruin your imaging.

END QUOTE

Perhaps the example shown has long enough reflection distance longer than 17-feet for 20 millisecond delay?

Last edited:

youngho

Nice stuff, I've been poking around their website.

At the college my wife teaches at there are several newer buildings that include micro-perforated wood looking ceiling and wall panels.

After visiting and talking to several people that work in these buildings I am confident in saying the general public gives no notice to such things. I cannot help but notice because I am an architect. This is the problem, no one takes notice unless there is a problem, then they want to see what they paid for. To incorporate such technology one needs the budget, and be able to explain the need for the extra expense.

I think in this one respect houses of worship are a captured audience because they have known of poorly performing buildings acoustically speaking and want to avoid being one of them.

Kach22, I agree that the general public would give no notice to the acoustic treatments, but I wanted to include Soundply and similar products like the ones I showed from Temple Beth Elohim (Topperfo Micro is another vendor) as an example of visually unobtrusive, practically invisible possibility as acoustic treatments for rooms.

Also visually unobstrusive, though measurably less effective, are wall coverings like Filzfelt:

Filzfelt.jpgNob Hill.pngWythe.pngLerner.png

Last edited:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Would it be possible to use multichannel setup as an acoustic treatment? For 2 channel playback. In a full multichannel setup with height channels, top channels even better, you would first play test tones and use the calibration mic to find room reverbs and reflections. Then, for 2 channel music, you select option for active acoustic treatment and the rest of the speakers only play out of phase reflections in just the right volume to cancel reflections... I am not aware anyone has tried this, but in theory it would work. It would also add value to AVRs for 2channel only aficionados.
On a more realistic note, do surround speakers offer any benefit in terms of acoustic treatment just being there? They would if they were very large, i think...

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Many of the photos of these spaces makes feel claustrophobic/uneasy. So much stuff... or maybe just visual overload.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I found this interesting.

Rather than try to absorb or diffuse 1st reflections off the side wall, they are instead blocking.

Would be nice to see actual effect/improvement with measurements...

But, why are those bookshelve speakers even on the floor to begin with? o_O

youngho

I found this interesting.
Rather than try to absorb or diffuse 1st reflections off the side wall, they are instead blocking.

The side acoustic treatments appear to be angled to aim the first reflections behind the listening position. This is a common approach in studio acoustics.

But, why are those bookshelve speakers even on the floor to begin with? o_O

It appears as though the owner must change out speakers for listening, hence the other two smaller tower speakers being relegated to the corner, unless they had been particularly naughty.

youngho

Yes I know, that's why i said they are blocking the 1st reflections (from the central/main listening position). It is obvious they are angled from the pic I re-shared above, to achieve this.

Ah, I think the correct word is "deflecting," not blocking.

This I didn't know. Even seeing hundreds of studio pics on Gearslutz forum.

Look for pictures of angled side walls in control rooms, especially those described as reflection-free zones. Here are a few examples: figure 7 at https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/sos-guide-control-room-design, some of the designs from Northward Acoustics or Walters-Storyk Design Group, sentences like "Splay (angle) your walls and ceiling so early reflections are deflected away from your listening position. This type of geometry is common in professional studio control rooms" from http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/reflection-free-zone/

Music1969

Major Contributor
Ah, I think the correct word is "deflecting," not blocking.

Noted. But from that pic above, it looks like the left standing panels would deflect right speaker to behind the listening position but it looks like it would block the left big side wall reflections?

Because it looks like the left standing panels are 'in line' with the left speaker.

Just guessing. This is what made it look interesting (and a bit different) to me.

I'm just talking 1st reflections of course. More complicated with later reflections.

Last edited:

youngho

Noted. But from that pic above, it looks like the left standing panels would deflect right speaker to behind the listening position but it looks like it would block the left big side wall reflections?

Because it looks like the left standing panels are 'in line' with the left speaker.

I'm having a hard time making any definite assumptions about the layout of the room from these two photos, since I think a wide angle lens was used. When I look at the first picture, taken from behind the listening position, I use the ceiling treatments as a point of reference. The lateral ceiling absorbing panels suggest that the speakers are positioned at least a few feet closer to the midline of the room compared with the angled acoustic treatments. When I look at the second picture, taken from the back right corner of the room, I see the relative positions of the speakers and acoustic treatments is exaggerated, making it seem like the left speaker is much closer to the left sidewall (and acoustic treatment) than the right, but the setup was not so asymmetric in the previous one, leading me to conclude that there is some distortion, which is common with wide angle lenses.

Here are some additional pictures of this project: https://www.mbakustik.de/projekt/dynaudio/. Note the last photo (https://www.mbakustik.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/DYN_04_HD.jpg), which was taken from behind the left speaker, where the panels are clearly not "in line."[/QUOTE]

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm having a hard time making any definite assumptions about the layout of the room from these two photos, since I think a wide angle lens was used. When I look at the first picture, taken from behind the listening position, I use the ceiling treatments as a point of reference. The lateral ceiling absorbing panels suggest that the speakers are positioned at least a few feet closer to the midline of the room compared with the angled acoustic treatments. When I look at the second picture, taken from the back right corner of the room, I see the relative positions of the speakers and acoustic treatments is exaggerated, making it seem like the left speaker is much closer to the left sidewall (and acoustic treatment) than the right, but the setup was not so asymmetric in the previous one, leading me to conclude that there is some distortion, which is common with wide angle lenses.

Here are some additional pictures of this project: https://www.mbakustik.de/projekt/dynaudio/. Note the last photo (https://www.mbakustik.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/DYN_04_HD.jpg), which was taken from behind the left speaker, where the panels are clearly not "in line."
[/QUOTE]

Ah it appears you are right. From the last photo it appears those standing panels aren't pointing/in line with the speaker, as I originally thought.

Music1969

Major Contributor
But still leads me to think it could be an interesting thing - to block side reflections from the nearest side wall (behind panels). And to deflect reflections from furthers speaker.

If those standing panels were angled.

Maybe, maybe not.

kach22i

Top Bottom