• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono: ADC-->DAC?

dmilller

The Vinyl Wars thread got me curious. Is it common to put digital in the phono pathway to EQ, or are most vinyl users purists and stay analog?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the majority ofvinyl users still do RIAA EQ in analog since digital solutions are quite rare (Parks Audio Puffin coming to mind). However anyone using room EQ or digital tone controls must use AD/DA. And there is nothing wrong with doing so.

OP
D

dmilller

I've been eyeing the analog in on the miniDSP SHD. That connection would allow me to go balanced from a preamp by the turntable 20 feet away.

I'm sure the RCA connection out from the turntable needs to be short. But I lost that knowledge several decades ago.

Godataloss

I've been eyeing the analog in on the miniDSP SHD. That connection would allow me to go balanced from a preamp by the turntable 20 feet away.

I'm sure the RCA connection out from the turntable needs to be short. But I lost that knowledge several decades ago.
I'm using the minidsp SHD with a turntable. I've used the balanced out and single ended input with a turntable with great results. The ad/da conversion is inaudible to me. The improvements to be had with PEQ are dramatically audible. It's totally dispelled any mystique of maintaining an analog chain.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is correct. With MC systems longer cables might pickup hum, with MM systems the cable capacitance gets too high which changes frequency response away from flat.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
great question. great answers. great thread. :)

OP
D

dmilller

I'm using the minidsp SHD with a turntable. I've used the balanced out and single ended input with a turntable with great results. The ad/da conversion is inaudible to me. The improvements to be had with PEQ are dramatically audible. It's totally dispelled any mystique of maintaining an analog chain.
I'm assuming the SHD can't take phono level input. Is that correct? Do you develop a PEQ for vinyl?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt the SHD input is that sensitive. You need one of the phono preamps like Amir has tested, with RIAA and a bunch of gain to get to line level.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Also, consider that since the 90s most music has been recorded, mixed and mastered digitally, prior to being converted back to analogue to create a vinyl copy.

So, with the exception of early recordings and some speciallity all analogue studios, most recordings on vinyl have already been digitised at some point and you are in effect using your analogue turntable to listen to someone elses DAC. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, consider that since the 90s most music has been recorded, mixed and mastered digitally, prior to being converted back to analogue to create a vinyl copy.

So, with the exception of early recordings and some speciallity all analogue studios, most recordings on vinyl have already been digitised at some point and you are in effect using your analogue turntable to listen to someone elses DAC. :)
Sure, but the warm vinyl smooths over all those digital steps :)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt the SHD input is that sensitive. You need one of the phono preamps like Amir has tested, with RIAA and a bunch of gain to get to line level.
A linear preamplifier with again of 20 dB for MM and about 40 dB for low output MC would suffice to digitize the signal and then apply digital RIAA correction. A cheap mixing console might do this; high Z input for MM, microphone input for MM.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@thegeton gives the answer at post #11.
For low output MC use a transformer may be helpful.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a phono preamp that outputs in WiFi? With all the WiFi enabled speakers there should be one.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there a phono preamp that outputs in WiFi? With all the WiFi enabled speakers there should be one.
If there would be something like this it should have streaming competence to control the speakers?
If not a phono preamp with ADC and USB output could broadcast via WLAN USB Dongle, maybe.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there would be something like this it should have streaming competence to control the speakers?
If not a phono preamp with ADC and USB output could broadcast via WLAN USB Dongle, maybe.
I think a phono amp and WiiM streamer works?

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom