• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perlisten D215S vs JTR RS2

ruzun

If you take cost out of the equation, and you only have room for 2 subs. Between the R212s and the JTR Captivator RS1, which would be preferable. The Monoprice and others may be good enough, but between the 2 choices I am considering which is better if you don't consider the cost. Is there something else that would be better than BOTH of these, and does NOT require end user modifications. Something that beats both the Perlisten R212s and the JTR RS1 in a 25' x 16' x 8' room using Perlisten speakers for the other positions.

OP
A

aoaaron

Two of these for $4k is all anyone would ever need: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38543

If you really want to spend $8k buy four.

Martin

Not really. I had 8x Monolith 15 V2s. They're great but they don't have the same fidelity of sound as the Perl D215S I have for demo at the moment. They also are ported so around port tune and below exhibit tonnes of unwanted noise.

You could reverse mount one of the JTR drivers in one of the units. The box volume occupied by the driver isn't super important to the tuning etc. (especially with room EQ etc.). just stack the min the same location and you get the 2nd harmonic reduction of the Perlisten, if you want. you'd have the punch a little hole in the box (nicely) to run the hook up wiring.

From my measurements of a D215S, the reduction of second order harmonic distortion is nothing earth shattering and a ported M15V2 at some frequencies has less.

OP
A

aoaaron

If you take cost out of the equation, and you only have room for 2 subs. Between the R212s and the JTR Captivator RS1, which would be preferable. The Monoprice and others may be good enough, but between the 2 choices I am considering which is better if you don't consider the cost. Is there something else that would be better than BOTH of these, and does NOT require end user modifications. Something that beats both the Perlisten R212s and the JTR RS1 in a 25' x 16' x 8' room using Perlisten speakers for the other positions.

I'd be considering:
Perlisten D215S, JTR RS1, JTR RS2, Harbottle C18 L1/L2, Harbottle C24 L1/L2, Funk Audio 18/21/24.

The R212 (and D212) in your room won't hit reference even in a pair. The RS1s are superior to the R212s. They're the equivalent of a D215. I'd pick the D215 over the JTR if price wasn't an option as its lovely to live with.

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
Not really. I had 8x Monolith 15 V2s. They're great but they don't have the same fidelity of sound as the Perl D215S I have for demo at the moment. They also are ported so around port tune and below exhibit tonnes of unwanted noise.

From my measurements of a D215S, the reduction of second order harmonic distortion is nothing earth shattering and a ported M15V2 at some frequencies has less.
Well, I wouldn't bother doing this. I just wanted to mention that it would be pretty trivial to do if he wanted to implement it on his own.

OP
A

aoaaron

Well, I wouldn't bother doing this. I just wanted to mention that it would be pretty trivial to do if he wanted to implement it on his own.

Its a fun idea. Honestly distortion isn't an issue on any of these subwoofers. The sound quality differences aren't down to THD although Perlisten do focus on this. They're both clean as a whistle and exhibit compression at similar levels.

The Monolith is engineered to output big numbers on CEA burst tests. It was their focus when designing it.
The Perlisten is engineered to sound good with mixed frequencies and real world content.
The JTR is engineered to have a small form factor, high output, dipping very forgiving low frequency roll-off with a really nice driver.

Output wise, compare the RTJ 18 readings and D215S - not RS1 as they used an old version of a microphone so the cross comparison results aren't reliable.

jhenderson0107

I use 3 RS1's in my theater (two front, one rear). They are massively oversufficient to my needs in a (21'x17'x9') room, yet they're not physically huge. I like and would purchase them again.

Top Bottom