• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PEQ and a sound stage

OP
A

Alp

So far I found my answer to EQ sound stage issue. EQ destroys soundstage if applied to non minimum phase regions.

How to see those (please correct me if I am wrong): in REW open GD tab, remote all smoothing, then press cog icon on the right, then press "generate minimum phase", tick all boxes except "replicate data", open generated excess group delay chart.

You can only apply EQ in flat areas.

In my chart there is almost none such areas, even in low frequency, so no non destructive EQ for me. RIP ADI-2 DAC PEQs.

Ps: I believe I can cut a peak at 440 Hz, but that's mostly it

If I misunderstood something, please let me know!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
None of the ‘flat’ areas correspond with room derived bass peaks?
Keith

LIΟN

but blind testing the results proofs that in my room eq in mid-high area with high Q is destroying stereo imaging.
As i said, Your treble doesn't seem to need any special EQ. If you minus 600-800hz with EQ, it means that your overall FR will appear to be in order, but your directness will be compromised. I've shown you enough of what you're hearing with gating from 1ms to 5ms.
Your 500hz and above band is the target curve already created by the distance you are listening and the objects and room around the speaker.
But I don't know if it's a lopsided measurement or if the direct sound actually doesn't arrive at the same time, but when I looked at your impulse yesterday, I saw a slight asymmetry, which is why I suggested a DRC like DiracLive or a manual fir filter correction.

And
There seems to be some misunderstanding about PEQs.
There's a reason I gated it and posted the graph.
I was showing you what you are hearing, and how the sound changes as you bounce things around in your room and off the walls.
If the change is large enough, it's no longer in the minimum_phase, it's in the Excess phase, and that can't be corrected with PEQ.
So it's a misconception that PEQ breaks phasing.
Rather, it corrects the MinimumPhase.
The change in phase when EQ is applied is natural, because that is what the frequency response shows, so of course the phase should change as well. (This is not the same as applying a high-pass or low-pass filter.)

OP
A

Alp

@LIΟN , could you please elaborate on "This is not the same as applying a high-pass or low-pass filter" I am curious and would like to know more

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
So far I found my answer to EQ sound stage issue. EQ destroys soundstage if applied to non minimum phase regions.
I have found the same thing. While excess phase correction can be benefitial in the bass regions, it also destroys sound stage when applied to higher frequencies. I would advise you to use a tool that can properly control this for your correction. I don't know if REW is capable of this, but DRC-FIR can.

Reactions: Alp
Top Bottom