• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalizer setting suggestion after measurement

Tio

Hi, I'm new with in room measurement using REW and umik-1. My speaker is old MB Quart 600 and is place in the living room.
Front to rear wall length is 3m but the left wall to right wall is very far around 9m because it is an open space living room in small house.
Link to the measurement file is here

1709043590621.png

1st problem that I try to solve using Equalizer APO is the big difference between left and right start from around 2000Hz. and below is the result

1709043787474.png

1709043948458.png

I know that there are a lot that I need to learn about room measurement and correction using EQ, so I'll try this step by step. So my questions are:
1. What might cause the imbalance on left and right start from 2000Hz? Is something wrong with the tweeter or the crossover because of aging?
2. Do the correction for the imbalance looks good enough? From the listening session, now the singer sound is on the center after EQ.
3. Which freq. range that I should try to EQ for the next step? FYI option for room treatment is out of my reach.

Thank you in advance for the answers and feedbacks.

ppataki

Major Contributor
You shall try both: optimize below 300Hz only and optimize the full spectrum and then you keep whichever sounds best to you
For the latter I would use a target of 60dB and use zero boosting

ErVikingo

Doesn't hurt to test the caps on the crossovers. I was surprised at how off from spec some of mine were.

OP
T

Tio

After I revisit my measurement, I don't know why there is a big dip on 1.8kHz.

My speaker should have crossover at 3.1kHz if the information on internet is correct. Is the dip has something to do with speaker placement or room interaction, or is it intended by the manufacturer, or maybe something is broken on the speaker?
Is it the famous BBC Dip?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Perhaps see if you can do this, 1), 2) and 3), preferably at various different angles.

It will give you a better idea of the speakers' on and off axis behavior in the >500Hz region. If on vs. off axis responses differ a lot it may be hard to effectively EQ your speakers. Which in my own experience doesn't mean that no correction exists that makes the speakers sound nicer and/or more balanced in your room. The correction is just harder to find through target curve fitting.

Top Bottom