• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

People who switched your library from MP3 to FLAC how did you go about doing it?

Svperstar

EDIT: You don't need to reply and tell me you cannot "convert" and MP3 into FLAC and get back the lost audio. I am aware of that. I said "convert" when I should have said "replace". As in replace by downloading.

So I have been building my MP3 library since I got my first PC in 1996. I started out by ripping all of my CDs to 160k MP3, then at some point I reripped all of my CDs using Exact Audio Copy and stored it in lossless .APE because .APE had a higher compression then FLAC.

Eventually smart phones became a thing and drives became bigger so I switched my .APE to FLAC because FLAC requires less CPU to decode and on mobile that means better battery life.

I have other random MP3s floating around, some still in 128k I got from various online sites. I also have some random .OGG files back from the mid 2000s when people said .OGG was going to replace MP3.

Has anyone taken the time to replace every last .MP3/.OGG you have to FLAC? How did you do this exactly?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I have been building my MP3 library since I got my first PC in 1996. I started out by ripping all of my CDs to 160k MP3, then at some point I reripped all of my CDs using Exact Audio Copy and stored it in lossless .APE because .APE had a higher compression then FLAC.

Eventually smart phones became a thing and drives became bigger so I switched my .APE to FLAC because FLAC requires less CPU to decode and on mobile that means better battery life.

I have other random MP3s floating around, some still in 128k I got from various online sites. I also have some random .OGG files back from the mid 2000s when people said .OGG was going to replace MP3.

Has anyone taken the time to convert every last .MP3/.OGG you have to FLAC? How did you do this exactly?
Why convert any lossless lossy file (mp3 or otherwise) to flac? You can't put back what was lost.

I did rip CD to mp3 /AAC then went back and ripped again to flac, but you can't do what you suggest.

Well, you can do the conversion, but it's pointless.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why convert any lossless file (mp3 or otherwise) to flac? You can't put back what was lost.

I did rip CD to mp3 /AAC then went back and ripped again to flac, but you can't do what you suggest.

Well, you can do the conversion, but it's pointless.
You meant « lossy » not « lossless ».

Peace.

OP
Svperstar

Svperstar

What would be the point of converting .MP3/.OGG to FLAC?

I'm not talking about converting, I mean redownloading everything. Like what sources did people use? Did anyone else go from a primarily MP3 library to 100% lossless and how did you go about doing it?

OP
Svperstar

Svperstar

Why convert any lossless file (mp3 or otherwise) to flac? You can't put back what was lost.

Thats not what I meant. I meant if someone else had a mixture of MP3/FLAC like I do how did you go 100% FLAC? What sources did you use hunt down a new source for every last MP3 and replacing it with FLAC?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a related question - anyone know a good ripping service? I have about a hundred more CDs to do. The guy who did it last time is focusing on something else.

elvisizer

I'm not talking about converting, I mean redownloading everything. Like what sources did people use? Did anyone else go from a primarily MP3 library to 100% lossless and how did you go about doing it?
I re-ripped my cd’s.
Did 320 kbps MP3’s at first waaaaaay back, then 256 kbps AAC. Setup filters in my software to find all those albums, then ripped them again using lossless formats.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec -- you do not lose anything converting to FLAC.

I use dBpoweramp to rip my CDs to FLAC files: https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

JCM800

Re-ripped every CD I still had, and have since been spending a lot of time on Discogs adding replacements for the real favorites to my Wantlist.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're hell bent on doing it, I'd find the CD you want on ebay or other 2nd hand retailers and use dbpoweramp to rip them.

But in this day and age I'd just forget owning the files and choose a lossless streaming service. Amazon HD or qobuz, maybe deezer.

Best thing I ever did.

OP
Svperstar

Svperstar

I re-ripped my cd’s.
Did 320 kbps MP3’s at first waaaaaay back, then 256 kbps AAC. Setup filters in my software to find all those albums, then ripped them again using lossless formats.

See I already reripped my CDs a long time ago, but I haven't bought a CD in over 10 years. I have bought a bunch of random MP3s from various sources, some of which went out of business making it hard to go back and just redownload in FLAC.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes i bit the bullit and did it all over again, reripped every damned cd in alphabetical order again :) phew my physical collection is only approximately >1200 discs so it was doable . In total my music server today holds approximately 4650 albums , that would have been unfeasible to even try :D

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ah, I see. I ripped all my CDs in 2009 with dBpoweramp and had the foresight to output both MP3 and FLAC files (for mobile and home use respectively). I've deleted most of the MP3 now (there's a few that were not ripped from CD and I don't have FLACs for, but nothing i'm particularly bothered about).

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I ripped everything to FLAC (on the computer, then NAS) and in parallel generated an MP4 version for portable use. A friend ripped only to MP3. I think they are slowly re-ripping when time or opportunity provides. I'm not aware of any other choices. 160kbit/s is potentially audible, but you probably aren't missing too much!

deewade

Hdtracks/7digital are good sources if you are looking to purchase replacement but if you are anything like me, I really didn't want to spend extra to purchase albums AGAIN. So I second the suggestion @Jimbob54 made.

Switch to streaming services!! Qobuz is my preference. Discovering new music became do-able for me when I quit limiting myself with my physical albums.

There was a time when i was living the struggle and couldnt afford qobuz/Tidal so i had to make free trials every month with a new email lol.

Also there are tools/applications for intercepting or ripping FLAC files that you stream with a streaming service account. But if you are going this far you might as well torrent the albums haha. Don't do that tho. Support the music industry please.

elvisizer

See I already reripped my CDs a long time ago, but I haven't bought a CD in over 10 years. I have bought a bunch of random MP3s from various sources, some of which went out of business making it hard to go back and just redownload in FLAC.
Yeah then you just have to find a source for those somehow somewhere! I still have a few tracks like that myself and I’m ok with just subbing in qobuz for them for now since I haven’t had good luck finding them on sites where they can be purchased. For the types of things I listen to the place I’ve found with the most hits from my library is Bandcamp. Generally decent prices on there too.

Top Bottom