• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC using Jriver for multi-channel decoding.

SmokinJoe

I was thinking about using Jriver software along with a multi-channel DAC such as Okto Dac8 Pro or Topping DM7 for creating a pair of three-way powered speakers.
My concern is will the PC and software keep up with the streaming and DSP tasks without causing too much degradation to the digital stream?

Tom C

Major Contributor
There are a number of us here that use the configuration you’re describing. I’ve never had any trouble at all running JRiver on a PC. I’m currently using DSP Studio, PEQ filters 1 and 2, and Room Correction, all simultaneously and without a stutter.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m rethinking now. Maybe you aim to play two-channel stereo material through three-way speaker x 2, so need six channels. This is a little different from my own set up, which for stereo is 2.1, and 7.1 for multichannel, but performance wise, the only difference should be how you configure the system. For playback of multichannel SACD, I use JRiver to convert to PCM to allow use of EQ, DSP and Room Correction. Even then, it’s smooth sailing.
IIRC, our member @Neddy uses an Okto 8 in a system similar to what you are considering

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Questions like this are almost impossible to answer because the operating system is always multitasking and processes and drivers and who-knows-what are running in the background and and interrupting, even when you're only running one application.

If whatever is interrupting "hogs" the system for a few milliseconds too long you get buffer underflow and a glitch in in the audio. (The buffer gets written-loaded in a quick burst and the audio flows-out smoothly, assuming nothing goes wrong.)

The more audio you are processing (more channels, higher bit depth, higher sample rates) the more likely you are to have issues.

without causing too much degradation to the digital stream?
It's usually not a matter of "too much". Usually when digital audio gets corrupted it's obvious and very bad... It's usually corrupted or not. This isn't a perfect analogy, but one bad bit in your bank account is equally-likely to cause a 1-cent error as a 1-billion dollar error.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I actually use the Okto for 7.1 surround, but further split the main 1 &2 outputs of that into a Venu360 to get bi-amped mains (and sub) (also does room eq and clip/peak limiting, crossovers) and have never experienced anything like a degradation...other than from the 'less than optimal' Venu itself:)
All with JRiver on W10 w an older NUC skull canyon...the bit of peeking I've done at the CPU at speed suggests no issues there at all.
Some day I may move all the Room/EQ and other features over to the JRiver/PC (the surround channels are essentially unREWed), but the Venu is just so DARN handy! but at least on this system I have no concerns about it keeping up at all.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Still no means for decoding height channels and object based audio decoding is there? (on a HTPC... with or without JRiver)

BillG

Major Contributor
My concern is will the PC and software keep up with the streaming and DSP tasks without causing too much degradation to the digital stream?

Without any specifics about the PC itself, I couldn't give you a definitive answer. However, I can give you an example of how an ancient i7 2600 machine (16 GB RAM/Nvidia 950 GTX, built in '11) fared processing 6 stereo channels simultaneously under stress testing.

This was done using Logitech Media Server 8.4.0 hosted on a stock Windows 10 Pro install.

I had an individual DSP profile running for each, which included Room Correction EQ and Loud Compensation, and the results were transcoded to 24/44.1 FLAC to preserve fidelity and conserve bandwidth, and then transmitted via WiFi using 3 different streaming protocols. Those being Google Cast, UPnP-DLNA, and SlimProto.

The server CPU utilization never exceeded 8%, there was no lag, there were no buffer under runs, and the sound was as high fidelity as one could desire.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have exactly the setup you are describing. I use a little Mele Quieter 3, have Dirac DLBC for my DSP and electronic crossover, render 4K HDR 23.98 fps from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and do it without hiccups. My performance monitor indicates the biggest choke point on the system is the memory which hovers around 80-90 usage. Mele has a new Quieter HD 3 which has 16 gb of dual channel memory--which should undoubtedly resolve any questions on performance in that regard.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Still no means for decoding height channels and object based audio decoding is there? (on a HTPC... with or without JRiver)
It’s my understanding that it is available on macOS, with some limitations. I was able to get Apple Music Atmos steams to play using macmini and Okto 8.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I think that falls under the category “limitations.” But I don’t have a Netflix account, so have never tried it myself.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that falls under the category “limitations.” But I don’t have a Netflix account, so have never tried it myself.
So what we're really talking about is Apple only content available to decode from Atmos. Right? Does Apple+ even offer any movies in Atmos?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Unless you are running the most ancient of ancient hardware, your PC will have no problem performing this task. For context, I have a PC with an i9-9900K, 32GB RAM, and no graphics card. I underclocked the CPU so that it runs cooler and I can run it fanless. I run JRiver and processing 8 channels. The same PC also does the streaming and a number of DSP functions (convolution, room correction, uBACCH, and a few other VST's). While playing music, CPU usage sits at about 5%.

Tom C

Major Contributor
So what we're really talking about is Apple only content available to decode from Atmos. Right? Does Apple+ even offer any movies in Atmos?
It could be. I’m not dedicated enough to Apple to have done a deep dive.
I was given a free trial of Apple + at one point. Took a brief look at their offerings, which didn’t add up to much for my taste. Mostly TV series material from their own studios, as I recall. To rent or buy movies, you go to iTunes Store. Yes, it still has that name. Kind of funny. Streamed The Greatest Showman from them. Not a movie I would buy on disc. But it did have Dolby Atmos soundtrack. So to answer your question, yes, Apple does offer movies in Atmos

Top Bottom