• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC, DACs, active speakers, bluetooth? What sequence and possibilities?

Kutusov

So I started a couple of months ago looking into why my music streamed from the PC via BT to a pair of Edifiers SB1000 sounded so... Meh. Ended up looking stuff up on the interwebs, YouTube videos etc but the more I look into it, the more confused I get.

I'll basically have to redo my living room and probably unshelf a pair of smaller Edifiers for near field. I still need to measure things up but help me out here just so I have an idea of what can be done....

- Let's say I'll end up with a PC as source, two sets of multi-input speakers (Coax, RCA, optical and BT) and a pair of wireless headphones with a base/emissor that takes aux or topslink.

- no optical out on the PC and need to bypass the internal motherboard sound card.

- Now let's say I end up with the computer on one side of the living room and I don't want cables all over the place.

Right, so here are my questions:

- Worth upgrading BT emissor on the PC side and/or reception on the speakers side?

- If so, worth plugging a BT emissor to, say, a headphone output form a Dac on the PC side?

- Worth then bypassing the speakers amp and dac, get a BT receiver, plug it into another dac and feed them analogue? (I know, I know but it's just hipotetical... Or maybe not)

- How does the BT signal work on a computer? What does it stream? A simple digital signal or does it go through and processed by the sound card first?

There, simple... :facepalm::rolleyes:o_O

rar133

Based on my research (full amateur here), what could work for you is the fiio btr3 or equivalent BT hi res transmitters.
Just get a good BT dongle for the pc and transmit to the btr3 plugged into speakers

Asylum Seeker

Why a PC/laptop at all?

OP
K

Kutusov

Why a PC/laptop at all?

It's just that I have my music on external HDDs and I'm used to play and edit tags using Musicbee and Mediamonkey. My library won't fit in my 256GB phone's sd card...

OP
K

Kutusov

Based on my research (full amateur here), what could work for you is the fiio btr3 or equivalent BT hi res transmitters.
Just get a good BT dongle for the pc and transmit to the btr3 plugged into speakers

I guess my question was if it was processed by the sound card before being transmitted but I'm pretty sure it isn't. iFi Zen Blue should be really good too.

Asylum Seeker

It's just that I have my music on external HDDs and I'm used to play and edit tags using Musicbee and Mediamonkey. My library won't fit in my 256GB phone's sd card...
Will it fit on a phone with 256GB of internal memory and a 512GB card? A computer is overkill for music reproduction.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kutusov

Will it fit on a phone with 256GB of internal memory and a 512GB card? A computer now overkill for music reproduction.

It would but my phone is a Mate 20 Pro and it takes only proprietary Huawei memory cards, maximum size is 256GB last time I've checked...

But I could use my tablet, that one uses regular SD cards. It's a though I hadn't had yet, thanks! :)

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I started a couple of months ago looking into why my music streamed from the PC via BT to a pair of Edifiers SB1000 sounded so... Meh. Ended up looking stuff up on the interwebs, YouTube videos etc but the more I look into it, the more confused I get.

If your speakers sound meh on bluetooth - it is not bluetooth's fault. Your speakers are simply not good, but for kicks before replacing speakers, let' try this
1. Run cable from PC to your speakers. Forget bluetooth. Try short cable first just to test. See if it helps. Then run long cable.
2. If cable solves your little issue, then (if u insist on wireless solution) get Amazon FireStick-TV or any Google ChromeCast Audio or any Android TV stick - configure it to stream music from your PC over WiFi, connect it to your speakers.

Prishel Kutusov bit' francusov.

Asylum Seeker

It would but my phone is a Mate 20 Pro and it takes only proprietary Huawei memory cards, maximum size is 256GB last time I've checked...

But I could use my tablet, that one uses regular SD cards. It's a though I hadn't had yet, thanks! :)
I've got the Mate 20X, the one with the 7.2" OLED screen. Great phone.

Top Bottom