• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive bookshelf speaker recommendation for a desk?

goldark

Forum Donor
I already have an amp that I'd like to make use of for a 2.0 desk setup. Does anyone have recommendations for a bookshelf speaker (that's not huge) with decent/good measurements that would work well in a near-field desktop setup? I'd prefer no subwoofer so although it doesn't need booming bass, some bass impact would be nice. Budget is less than $500 if possible.

syzygetic

DBR62 from ELAC has been really good for me, got them new on discount for about $520. Amplified by a pair of NC400 monoblocks right now, and they sound spot on.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I already have an amp that I'd like to make use of for a 2.0 desk setup. Does anyone have recommendations for a bookshelf speaker (that's not huge) with decent/good measurements that would work well in a near-field desktop setup? I'd prefer no subwoofer so although it doesn't need booming bass, some bass impact would be nice. Budget is less than $500 if possible.
What is the output of the amp @ ohms? Are you using a laptop or PC as source?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JBL 530 or Infinity R162 have both been reviewed here and shown to have great measurements. If you can snag them on the 60% of sale they run several times a year then they're all but impossible to beat in terms of value.

KEF Q150 is another one I would look at. Great measurements, and the fully coaxial nature should make them work better at really close differences.

OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor
What is the output of the amp @ ohms? Are you using a laptop or PC as source?

Old school stereo receiver, Yamaha RXV470. Should have plenty of power and yes using a PC as a source.

Colonel7

Old school stereo receiver, Yamaha RXV470. Should have plenty of power and yes using a PC as a source.
That definitely helps. You've received some excellent recommendations already, and if maximizing the $500 is the goal the DBR-62 is very tough to beat.

I'd propose an alternative to maximize savings. Install Equalizer APO and PEACE which are free and use one of the common EQ projects at ASR to significantly boost the performance of an already measured with spinorama inexpensive speaker that is easily EQ'd like the Polk S15, Wharfedale 220, or the already recommended R162 when it is on sale. These speakers frequently go on offer at $150-199 and sometimes lower. @Maiky76 has done it for S15 and others, Pierre and one of the Tims do this often on their own and sometimes on request, EQing to maximize Olive score or curve or listening window etc depending on the approach. You've a good mix of price and size/form factors among the ones suggested by the membership. Good luck!

Last edited:

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
My Swan D1080-IV speakers sound better on my desk than either my JBL 530, Focal Aria 906 or SVS Prime speakers. Since they were designed for desktop use I'm assuming that's why. They're not passive but just thought I'd share my limited experience with passives on a desk.

Colonel7

That definitely helps. You've received some excellent recommendations already, and if maximizing the $500 is the goal the DBR-62 is very tough to beat.

I'd propose an alternative to maximize savings. Install Equalizer APO and PEACE which are free and use one of the common EQ projects at ASR to significantly boost the performance of an already measured with spinorama inexpensive speaker that is easily EQ'd like the Polk S15, Wharfedale 220, or the already recommended R162 when it is on sale. These speakers frequently go on offer at $150-199 and sometimes lower. @Maiky76 has done it for S15 and others, Pierre and one of the Tims do this often on their own and sometimes on request, EQing to maximize Olive score or curve or listening window etc depending on the approach. You've a good mix of price and size/form factors among the ones suggested by the membership. Good luck!
If you're considering this approach the Infinity is on sale for $160 as is the R152 for $130 https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/ and the Polk S15 is $115 at most retailers including Best Buy, Crutchfield and Amazon.

Top Bottom