• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive 2 way - front ported (or sealed). What DIY model or brand model do you love? (flat response)

edhamgtr

Looking for the best sounding, flattest 2 way passive speaker I can find.
Likely a DIY design using great drivers.

Building out an atmos mixing room and would like to avoid the usual studio monitors that are price-point builds.
13 speakers so keeping costs down is big - thus DIY is likely.

Has to be front ported or sealed design (small room).

appreciate your input.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Great drivers are not cheap, or they are cheaper for the OEM crowd to get them in bulk discount.
Hence; you might be better off looking for some older speakers that fit the specs technically, and then get the 13 of them on the used market?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since when is DIY economic? Take the above advice and seek 2nd hand if a bargain is what your after.

OP
E

edhamgtr

Not looking for CHEAP. but can't swing 13 ATC scm20s.
The used market is a good idea - but which speaker?

thanks!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
For your ported/sealed decision and cabinet volume you can model your design with WinISD (or other speaker design software) after entering the Thiele-Small parameters for various drivers.

alex-z

Any speaker can be flat on-axis if you use DSP/EQ.

The trick is achieving consistent directivity. With a 2 way speaker, a waveguide on the tweeter is ideal.

The best solution IMO is purchasing a high-end coaxial unit made by a company like KEF. You can buy the KEF R3 mid/tweeter unit for 113 euro.

Combine that with something like a Scanspeak 8535G00 8" woofer and you can have a really high performance 3 way speaker for under $500 each, including the cabinet + crossover. Do a hybrid approach, passive crossover for the mid/tweeter, active between the woofer and mid. That way you only need 2 channels of DSP and amplification per speaker. I would personally build them sealed and crossover to the subs at 50 or 60Hz. Ports can introduce some non-linearity, and if this is your first DIY project, just a headache to be avoided IMO.

A 2 way speaker can be done of course, but will have more distortion, particularly at high SPL. KEF Q350 drivers are also available for sale if you want this approach.

Also, I assume you know this, but the acoustic treatment of your room matters a great deal. Getting a nice even decay rate across the entire spectrum is more difficult than selecting good speakers IMO.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
Not sure about the scm20 but if the scm19 measurements are anything to go off of they are terrible.

Not DIY and it's rear ported but:

$750 ea. Maybe a discount if you contact them? You can surely go a bit cheaper with DIY but also factor in how much your time is worth.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

You can build them closed. Qtc 0.707gives -3dB point at 80hz. That's what I did. 12dB highpass for the sats, 24dB lowpass for the subs. Works well.

Wolf

If you want DIY, you'll have to give more criteria; Box volume, woofer size, etc.

There are MANY good designs out there that may apply.

rvsixer

You can build them closed. Qtc 0.707gives -3dB point at 80hz. That's what I did. 12dB highpass for the sats, 24dB lowpass for the subs. Works well.
Can you provide how you got to a F3 of 80Hz on this bitte.

When I run WinISD on the stock ~14 liter box I get:
Q=0.542, F3=97Hz

When I calculate for Q=0.707 I get:
6.5 liter box, F3=95Hz

I'm needing small sealed boxes with nice directivity for surround/atmos for my new HT build (will be paired with multisubs of course).

Top Bottom