• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
By the same token, could you avoid any headroom issues if you bypass the gain stage in the Puffin (only apply RIAA) and let a preamp do all or most of the gain? I was thinking my Puffin sounded better when I set the gain at 0 dB and feed it directly to my mic preamp (57 dB gain). But wasn't sure if I was imagining.

Huh.

How is the noise floor?

noobie1

Huh.

How is the noise floor?

Noise floor seemed better when I used lower gain. I initially used 24 dB gain for my MM cartridge when connecting to line inputs on my preamp. Now I'm using 0 dB (connected to mic inputs) and it seems slightly better with the caveat that I don't necessarily trust my ears.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm: is it possible to attach sound files to a posting?
You can zip and attach but they take up a lot of server space. Best to host it some place.

xema

A pure ad/da phono device has only 20mv analogue output....weird:oops:
The volume therefore become useless, the outputs are too low to drive a poweramp.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A pure ad/da phono device has only 20mv analogue output....weird
That's not the output, it is the max input voltage before clipping. Output is that times the gain. It should be a able to produce 2 volt output before clipping.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Noise floor seemed better when I used lower gain. I initially used 24 dB gain for my MM cartridge when connecting to line inputs on my preamp. Now I'm using 0 dB (connected to mic inputs) and it seems slightly better with the caveat that I don't necessarily trust my ears.

What interface are you using?

I haven't tried connecting it to anything I own that has a mic input.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt version. Please do share your findings if you try it out.

I'm not sure I have a reason to use a mic input, although I could theoretically do so on my RME.

I'd be more likely to experiment with setting the gain to 0 dB and use the Toslink output into my amp's DAC just to see what happens.

But, again....I don't know what I'd gain by doing so, given it's already quiet and doesn't clip with my current config.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aw, I was rooting for the Puffin. I just love the irreverence of the whole concept of a dsp phono stage. It’s like putting up to a middle finger to pretentious vinylistas, punk vs prog rock if you will. I should say I like punk, prog rock and my turntable BTW.

The build and styling is a break from the norm too, way cooler than an aluminium rectangular box with a f@&k;£g tube stuck in the top. Plus Shannon Parks is a likeable fun hifi guy. The fairy tale ending to this is that he gets in touch, fixes was feel like soluable problems on a product that really could be perfect, there’s a retest and we all heartily cheer ‘Bravo’!:)

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Overload margin is a funny thing. In a purely analog system a pre with big margin simply punts the problem downstream. Either it gets attenuated by the volume control to a level where it doesn’t matter, or it clips the power amp, or it reaches the speakers where it isn’t easy to decide what happens. But letting it all the way through is likely the best answer.
If you like to listen loud you probably need a power amp with a lot of headroom, otherwise the preamp has just shifted the issue there.

With a digital element in the chain it is arguably a different problem. The opportunity exists to manage the transient earlier, instead of just punting the problem. This is especially so if the phono pre has a digital output. It makes no sense to demand that the digital output include the headroom demanded for clicks. It just forces the digital levels lower, and chews up bits. A 24 bit range gets us a lot of room, but nobody is going to be happy with a digital phone pre that requires you to turn up the analog gain after the DAC to a wildly different level than that used for a digital source into the same DAC. So it makes sense to handle overload and clicks in the digital domain, and deliver digital output with level normalised properly to the wanted audio. If you then put a DAC into the same box, that DAC output also has properly normalised output levels, and by definition has essentially no overload margin for clicks. Demanding a significant overload margin makes no sense here.

And, well, the Puffin does process overloads/clicks in the digital domain. QED.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Very happy with my Puffin ( hidden behind). Dead silent, just avoid immediate proximity to next component transformer. 60db gain MC ATOC9 mkII
Using TosLink out 96k. Note on arrival the high frequency cut off was set low, maybe that caused early RIAA -3db in the measurements, I set it up to 48k.

Perfect to have RIAA with digital out to my DSP/ room correction based preamp

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So based on preliminary reviews and praises on this and other sites, I ordered one of these because right now I have my tt plugged into the phono pre-amp on my Yamaha A-S501. I thought it might be a significant improvement. Now reading this review I’m wondering if that was a mistake. Should this still out preform my S501, or should I send it back and get the CA Duo?
This was my unit that I purchased new directly from Parks Audio. I decided to keep it as well. Lots of great features, great RIAA, easy settings to match your cart.

cochlea

Forum Donor
This was my unit that I purchased new directly from Parks Audio. I decided to keep it as well. Lots of great features, great RIAA, easy settings to match your cart.
Great! My is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Can’t wait to try it out. :)

cochlea

Forum Donor
I am using an Ortofon 2M Bronze, at the suggestion of some people on here. And I’m glad I did. A great step up from the Red I was using.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I am using an Ortofon 2M Bronze, at the suggestion of some people on here. And I’m glad I did. A great step up from the Red I was using.
Awesome! If you have an audio interface and skills, you should rip a good common record and post a link to the uploaded cloud FLAC file on the transparent cart. thread.

Top Bottom