• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm persona 9H

steve59

Major Contributor
Do the speakers come with a mic or do you use a tablet/cell phone to measure bass at points around the room?

MattHooper, that was a really good description of the word 'organic' as we use to describe a speakers perceived tone. I would have butchered the description had I tried.

Last edited:

Impossible

They come with a calibrated mic.

I have the option of running arc on the speaker and then running Dirac over that or vice versa and will try toggle one of them on and off to see what is best. My version of Dirac has bass management and I have a paradigm sub2 which also has arc built in. I should be able to get bass a clean as possible in my room.

steve59

Major Contributor
The impressive thing about the personas is their chameleon like ability. My paradigm dealer has tuned them so images were so tight and clear you can virtually see them and then totally change their presentation so they sound more like a rock band performing on stage. It really is quite amazing to have a pair of speakers that can do small ensemble jazz as well as heavy metal. I'm really happy for you.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Do the speakers come with a mic or do you use a tablet/cell phone to measure bass at points around the room?

MattHooper, that was a really good description of the word 'organic' as we use to describe a speakers perceived tone. I would have butchered the description had I tried.

The Persona 9H Speakers do come with a mic and necessary cables/tripod in a kit. There's a 5ft (roughly) cable to use from the mic that hooks to either a Mac or Windows PC and then about a 25ft or 30ft cable to hook from the laptop to the back of the speakers (individually). The measuring points are done around the main listening position. Using the tripod, place the mic pointing up at Ear Level and that measurement captures the main picture of the room. If the couch/chair has a back higher than ear level, then place the mic so that it's above that. Then in an X pattern around that, place the mic two feet away from the center point (main listening position) and either raise or lower the mic higher or lower than the center position (2-3ft higher or lower) and alternate that as you move around the center position.

If the couch/chair is close to a back wall where you can't measure around the main seat, then the measuring pattern is in the form of a W, always keeping a 2-3ft distance away from the wall. Center point being the top center point of the W, start at ear level and then alternating the height of the mic at the other four points.

When used in a Theater application, and if there are seats on risers behind the main seat, then you can measure up to 10 points - basically doing two X Patterns.

I hope that is a coherent explanation as to how we measure with ARC Genesis...

Thanks,
Chris

steve59

Major Contributor
Pretty cool, I have a paradigm sub that uses the arc app but mine uses the iPad and only 4 or 5 places in the room. Not complaining.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Pretty cool, I have a paradigm sub that uses the arc app but mine uses the iPad and only 4 or 5 places in the room. Not complaining.

If you ever get the mic kit, or can borrow one, you can run the new ARC Genesis Software on your Sub. We're still a ways out from having ARC Genesis Mobile - it could be sometime next year, but not really sure? The current ARC Mobile Software that you're running is based on the prior ARC2 platform. If you're ever able to run Genesis, there is a tab that allows you to extract the ARC2 File first, from your sub, and then run the new software so that you're not overlaying the new algorithms over the old ones, which applies to any of our products that can run via Bluetooth or on a Network. And, how I described our mic positioning to measure the 9H's, that same process also applies to any of our subs or surround systems that utilize our software.

Take care!
Chris

steve59

Major Contributor
I bought a pair of salon's off a gent locally 4-5 years ago, he was upgrading to the salon 2's, make a long story short ffw and he messaged me that he's got a pair of 9h he offered to sell me!! ...spit out a bunch of curses...My system rocks and I have little doubt is more natural than the 9h, but I think if the price is right I'm going for it. What do you think is a hegel h360 good enough to drive the 9h?

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought a pair of salon's off a gent locally 4-5 years ago, he was upgrading to the salon 2's, make a long story short ffw and he messaged me that he's got a pair of 9h he offered to sell me!! ...spit out a bunch of curses...My system rocks and I have little doubt is more natural than the 9h, but I think if the price is right I'm going for it. What do you think is a hegel h360 good enough to drive the 9h?
Wouldn't the 360 only be driving the upper drivers on the 9H. If that's the case, I would think it should be fine! How loud do you listen?

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wouldn't the 360 only be driving the upper drivers on the 9H. If that's the case, I would think it should be fine! How loud do you listen?
I was going to say the same thing. Powered bass and built in room correction probably makes this a solid upgrade.

steve59

Major Contributor
I listen in the 95 dB with 104 peaks when I hav the place to myself. My work environment is pretty loud and my ears are traumatize, but I do prefer speakers that can deliver at lower volumes and hopefully these do.

Impossible

The 9h are hybrid speakers, they have 700w amp in built driving 2 drivers 400hz to 200hz and another 700w amp driving everything under 200hz.

What ever amp you grt your only driving the mids and tweeter. I'm using nord hypex 350w at 8ohm.

Top Bottom