• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pairing CD player (XLR: 2V output) with amp. (XLR: 4V input)

HolgerRune

I have a Marantz PM-10 integrated amplifier. I want to pair it with a GoldNote CD-1000 mkII deluxe CD player using set of 3 ft long balanced interconnect cables. The player has an output voltage of 2V, 50 ohms. The Marantz PM-10 amplifier features an input level of 4V through the balanced terminals.

- Will this mismatch cause any problems?
- Should I consider a CD-player with higher output voltage?

AudiOhm

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Where did you find the 4V spec? It would be unusual for an integrated amp not to have more gain.

This says:
Input Sensitivity: Balanced High level 880 mV / 40 kohm
Input Sensitivity: Power Amp Direct IN 1.5 V / 20 kohm

AudiOhm

The standard for RCA is 2V and for XLR is 4V.
There may some exceptions...

Ohms

OP
H

HolgerRune

The standard for RCA is 2V and for XLR is 4V.
There may some exceptions...

Ohms
My Lyngdorf CD-2 have an output level of 7V, 100 ohms balanced and Marantz' own SA-10 SACD player 5V, 200ohms blanced. I'm concerned, I will run into problems if I combine my Marantz PM-10 amplifier with the Goldnote CD-1000 mkII deluxe which is only 2V, 50ohms balanced.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did the Lyngdorf CD 2 die or unfixable? Looks like it would work with the Marantz. If you're concerned then the Marantz SA10 will work with that integrated Marantz.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the Goldnote balanced isn't true spec of 4v. Might be routing it through unbalanced but it also looks like it tosses a tube in there? I guess the tube makes it $8700? Strange.

OP
H

HolgerRune

Did the Lyngdorf CD 2 die or unfixable? Looks like it would work with the Marantz. If you're concerned then the Marantz SA10 will work with that integrated Marantz.
My current Lyngdorf CD-2 works just fine along with my Marantz PM-10 via XLR-interconnects. Actually the Lyngdorf it's a very well built player. However, once in a while it's nice to try out new gear. And having demoed the GoldNote CD-1000 mkII deluxe recently, I simply cannot resist that piece of italian hardware any longer. The GoldNote CD-1000 sounds astonishingly good. I am nevertheless concerned about possible issues related to any mismatch in voltage and impedance between the Marantz PM-10 amplifier and the Goldnote CD player. I have heard people say that some CD players' output voltage and impedance do not match any given amplifier...? Does anyone know if that's true?

gsp1971

Forum Donor
My current Lyngdorf CD-2 works just fine along with my Marantz PM-10 via XLR-interconnects. Actually the Lyngdorf it's a very well built player. However, once in a while it's nice to try out new gear. And having demoed the GoldNote CD-1000 mkII deluxe recently, I simply cannot resist that piece of italian hardware any longer. The GoldNote CD-1000 sounds astonishingly good. I am nevertheless concerned about possible issues related to any mismatch in voltage and impedance between the Marantz PM-10 amplifier and the Goldnote CD player. I have heard people say that some CD players' output voltage and impedance do not match any given amplifier...? Does anyone know if that's true?

XLR out should output 4V, i.e. double the RCA output. Must be a typo or something.

In any case, your amp's specs for XLR in are ...
Input Sensitivity: Balanced High level800 mV / 40 kohm

... which theoretically means that a voltage of 800 mV (0.8V) at its XLR input is enough to take the amp to full power. So you should be fine.

Why don't you try connecting the two using standard RCA connection just to check that everything works fine?

GS

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you go by the usual 10:1 ratio you should be fine. Matching was a problem with older gear but preamps now are made to take at least 2v and up in the kilohms.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still seems odd there's a tube in there I wonder if it's in the signal path or just lights up?

OP
H

HolgerRune

Still seems odd there's a tube in there I wonder if it's in the signal path or just lights up?
The GoldNote CD-1000 mkII deluxe do not have tubes in the standard version. The player can be equipped with the TUBE-1012/006, which is an external class A tube output stage.

OP
H

HolgerRune

XLR out should output 4V, i.e. double the RCA output. Must be a typo or something.
I have just recieved this from the manufaturer in Italy: "The value is correct, we changed that 3 years ago with the CD-1000 mkII because the majority of our international partners preferred having the same output level to match the unit easily even with different amplifiers around."

gsp1971

Forum Donor
I have just recieved this from the manufaturer in Italy: "The value is correct, we changed that 3 years ago with the CD-1000 mkII because the majority of our international partners preferred having the same output level to match the unit easily even with different amplifiers around."
That explanation is ridiculous!! I refuse to believe it. I think they either messed it up or the XLR circuit is not really balanced.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
4 volts is not a standard. More a loose convention. Should work fine for your purposes. It's a 6 db difference in level.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The GoldNote CD-1000 mkII deluxe do not have tubes in the standard version. The player can be equipped with the TUBE-1012/006, which is an external class A tube output stage.
I see It's a whole different tube output stage. I misunderstood reading the website I thought it was a single tube put in for some reason . I guess but a simple CD player and some EQ makes more sense to me. I don't see why it wouldn't work, might need to work the volume a little different than the Lyngdorf connected, not turn it as far, or farther?

Top Bottom