• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old Bryston 2B-LP

svtcontour

So I've acquired a Bryston 2BLP which is very clean and I'm listening to it and all in all it sounds quite good to my ears - like nothing jumping out as being objectionable. It sounds just a tiny bit darker up top than newer amps I've tried and bottom end a little fatter but not having measured it it could just be an illusion.

So I'm posting here to see what the general thought is on these old units. Looking online, it seems many dont like older Brystons saying they are forward or harsh but I dont find this to be the case at least this one.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Bryston 2BLP
I can't believe it, I found a video review where actual measurements were done... almost fell off my chair;

1677468452109.png

More data in video... some a-weighted though.

Manufacturer specs;

Frequency Response:<1Hz - 100kHz: -3dB
THD+N (20Hz-20kHz @ 60W, 8Ω):<0.01%
Power Output (per channel):60W @ 8Ω | 100W @ 4Ω
Noise:XLR: <-100dB
Input Impedance:Balanced 10kΩ

Reasonable performance it seems.

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty good units if you ask me. I think they had a 20 year warranty.

OP
S

svtcontour

Interesting video. I wonder if the left / right channel SNR difference is just age of the unit or design. I guess no way to know. At least when I'm listening I cant audibly find a fault, not that I would even with that level of difference in the video :)

Ericco

I've been using my 3B since I bought it used in the mid 80s. I always felt it had a musical sound and don't understand the forward, or harsh comments
you mention. In fact, my system seems more laid back than other, newer audiophile systems I've auditioned.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using my 3B since I bought it used in the mid 80s. I always felt it had a musical sound and don't understand the forward, or harsh comments
you mention. In fact, my system seems more laid back than other, newer audiophile systems I've auditioned.
Around here, we think online subjective reviews of electronics are worth what you paid for them. And give them all the thought they deserve.

MAB

Major Contributor
So I've acquired a Bryston 2BLP which is very clean and I'm listening to it and all in all it sounds quite good to my ears - like nothing jumping out as being objectionable. It sounds just a tiny bit darker up top than newer amps I've tried and bottom end a little fatter but not having measured it it could just be an illusion.

So I'm posting here to see what the general thought is on these old units. Looking online, it seems many dont like older Brystons saying they are forward or harsh but I dont find this to be the case at least this one.
I have quite a few Bryston amps... The above YouTube measurements are consistent with what I measure, except the YouTube amp seems to have something going on with the right channel, I never see one channel more than a dB or so different... It is a transparent amp, and is incredibly reliable, and has about the best warranty service on the planet. I have PuriFi and Hypex ClassD amps too, and I can't hear the noise or any audible improvements with the ClassD gear.

DSJR

Major Contributor
They're damned fine amps and in the UK, used to be almost affordable until fifteen - twenty years back when prices all but doubled! Twenty year warranties definitely and like my now ancient fifty year old Crown D Series amps, what comes out is basically what goes in, just louder and lacking added 'audiophool character or charisma' :D

Until pro speakers started incorporating dedicated amp packs, amps like these Brystons were used and thrashed for years into suitable studio monitors which back then were passive mostly I recall. Smaller ones could be used for headphones and the bigger ones for a wall of high quality sound ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Interesting video. I wonder if the left / right channel SNR difference is just age of the unit or design. I guess no way to know. At least when I'm listening I cant audibly find a fault, not that I would even with that level of difference in the video :)
Which of the two channels is closer to the power supply?* And even more specifically, the power transformer?

*edit: by this I mean internally

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming from a pro sound background we loved those amps. They were driven to abuse on almost every use.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Noted. I didn't realize that was a forum rule.
It sure helps. Lots of people on the internet say a lot of things. Sometimes they're true, sometimes not. But the measurements don't lie. Bryston makes quality stuff, so the results aren't surprising.

MAB

Major Contributor
Which of the two channels is closer to the power supply?* And even more specifically, the power transformer?

*edit: by this I mean internally

Dual mon, modular design. Is the right line-input wire flopped over near the transformer and power switch assembly? The right channel in the reviewer's unit had mains noise.
1684092688562.png

The SoundStage review saw elevated noise on the left channel:
1684092423084.png

The left channel of this unit had somewhat more power-supply line harmonics due to rectifier conduction-pulse ground currents than the quieter right channel.

I have the same 2B-LP as OP. Perhaps I need to measure it, I'm intrigued.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
I picked one up myself years ago, in not very fresh condition.
It sounds fine, but seems to heat up copiously, to the point that I can't leave my hand on the front heatsink - and emits quite a perceptible hum.
To other owners: does this seem like standard operation to you?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I picked one up myself years ago, in not very fresh condition.
It sounds fine, but seems to heat up copiously, to the point that I can't leave my hand on the front heatsink - and emits quite a perceptible hum.
To other owners: does this seem like standard operation to you?
Mine didn't run hot, but had mechanical transformer hum. I was able to fix that with some rubber bits and a lot of torque.

Maybe check the bias if the heat is excessive?

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Thanks for answering - then, having the bias checked surely won't do no harm.

Top Bottom