• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old Bryston 2B-LP

Colhogan

I never thought that Bryston deserved the reputation as being "bright sounding ".
I have always found them to be great sounding and reliable amplifiers.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never thought that Bryston deserved the reputation as being "bright sounding ".
I have always found them to be great sounding and reliable amplifiers.
I never heard bright sounding but work horses they are. Compared to Carver and others of the day Bryson’s were the best.

Murphonics

So I've acquired a Bryston 2BLP which is very clean and I'm listening to it and all in all it sounds quite good to my ears - like nothing jumping out as being objectionable. It sounds just a tiny bit darker up top than newer amps I've tried and bottom end a little fatter but not having measured it it could just be an illusion.

So I'm posting here to see what the general thought is on these old units. Looking online, it seems many dont like older Brystons saying they are forward or harsh but I dont find this to be the case at least this one.
This is my favorite amplifier of all time. I own 4 of them and just bought a 5th to use 9 channels for my Dolby Atmos theater. I’ve acquired pieces from eBay and have recapped a couple of them. They are VERY musical. Used with ribbon tweeters, it has one of the most musical, comfortable high end sounds I’ve ever heard.
I’m curious. The latest one I found on eBay has TRS inputs only (no XLR), so it’s not a 2b-LP PRO. It also has gain adjustments on back (never seen that before) and a CLIPPING ADVISOR port, looks like a VGA, on the back. The model number has CAE at the end instead of PRO. Anyone know what’s going on there? I ordered it but haven’t received it yet. I thought I knew everything about this amp, but this is different.

MAB

Major Contributor
This is my favorite amplifier of all time. I own 4 of them and just bought a 5th to use 9 channels for my Dolby Atmos theater. I’ve acquired pieces from eBay and have recapped a couple of them. They are VERY musical. Used with ribbon tweeters, it has one of the most musical, comfortable high end sounds I’ve ever heard.
I’m curious. The latest one I found on eBay has TRS inputs only (no XLR), so it’s not a 2b-LP PRO. It also has gain adjustments on back (never seen that before) and a CLIPPING ADVISOR port, looks like a VGA, on the back. The model number has CAE at the end instead of PRO. Anyone know what’s going on there? I ordered it but haven’t received it yet. I thought I knew everything about this amp, but this is different.
I have some 2B-LP Pro, as well as 3B, 4B, 7B Pro. As you say, they have variable gain. Also, they are awesome amps.
According to James Tanner of Bryston:
We still build the 2B LP Pro unit for the professional market - broadcast studios love them.
http://www.bryston.com/2blppro_m.html. Also we sell hundreds of them a year to CAE and they use them in their flight training machines for testing pilots.

Anyway - the 2B LP has not changed a lot other than the power supply section and a few circuit board layout issues and different parts. It such a simple elegant circuit that it has stood the test of time.

So looks like your eBay item was from a Canadian flight-simulator. I would hit the BuyItNow button if the price is right...:)

Murphonics

I have some 2B-LP Pro, as well as 3B, 4B, 7B Pro. As you say, they have variable gain. Also, they are awesome amps.
According to James Tanner of Bryston:

So looks like your eBay item was from a Canadian flight-simulator. I would hit the BuyItNow button if the price is right...:)
That’s excellent! I’m excited. Already hit BuyNow and got it for 550 including shipping. A steal! Allegedly perfect working condition. I’ll report back. Thanks so much for the fast response! AND the word from James Tanner. Great news.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Enjoy your Bryston! I have a 4B-ST and a B100–SST that are likely to be the last amps I’ll own.

alary

I own the pro unit with balanced inputs and I think it's fine and has plenty of muscle.
I use it in my home recording studio.

Top Bottom