• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

glucenag

I just cannot figure out if this Dac (non pro) can implement digital crossover to a pair of subs?

waynel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just cannot figure out if this Dac (non pro) can implement digital crossover to a pair of subs?
No, it can’t . You would need the Okto DAC8 pro version and a digital crossover like the MiniDSP SHD studio or nanodigi.

archerious

Shame it's so difficult to order one, the many outputs and input options as well as the built in Pi made it really appealing.

Neddy

Forum Donor
Not difficult to order, it's the wait that gets to you. I'm now coming up on 2 years since I placed my Pro order, but nearly 20 mos since I recieved it.
Still the best audio purchase I've ever made, and well worth the wait.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not difficult to order, it's the wait that gets to you. I'm now coming up on 2 years since I placed my Pro order, but nearly 20 mos since I recieved it.
Still the best audio purchase I've ever made, and well worth the wait.

Pretty difficult to order when they are not accepting orders and have not for several months. :)

Michael

Neddy

Forum Donor
Fair enough! - forgot about that, sorry!:facepalm:
I keep thinking of Elon's comments about 'production is Hell' and how Pavel has somehow made this work, even if a bit slowly.
This level of quality and performance for this price still astounds me.
BTW, I see Pavel (or someone from Okto) is still checking in here frequently.
I (still) wish them all the best, and owe him some feedback ;)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough! - forgot about that, sorry!:facepalm:
I keep thinking of Elon's comments about 'production is Hell' and how Pavel has somehow made this work, even if a bit slowly.
This level of quality and performance for this price still astounds me.
BTW, I see Pavel (or someone from Okto) is still checking in here frequently.
I (still) wish them all the best, and owe him some feedback ;)

100% agree, absolutely love my dac8 pro. The fit and finish and user interface are exceptional (on top of the excellent audio performance). Personally I would have gladly paid double. The fact that there are so many threads asking about alternatives and that there really isn't anything that offers all of the same functionality in one box is telling.

Michael

Kaakatus

Out of curiosity, what serial numbers you have for which order number? I have read that the 8-channel and stereo versions would have different queue/order numbers. My serial is 75 and the order number was 304. Not that it would bother me but I got a little surprised.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Btw, mine arrived day before yesterday and will be installed in my system later today. I must say it appears to be built like the proverbial brick you-know-what. Look forward to pairing it with my Purifi Eigentact to drive my LS 60 Metas plus SB 2000. I think this will be special.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, mine arrived day before yesterday and will be installed in my system later today. I must say it appears to be built like the proverbial brick you-know-what. Look forward to pairing it with my Purifi Eigentact to drive my LS 60 Metas plus SB 2000. I think this will be special.
How long was your total wait from order to 2 days ago? I see that Okto isn't even taking anymore orders.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
How long was your total wait from order to 2 days ago? I see that Okto isn't even taking anymore orders.
One day short of 31 weeks. I actually did not order the remote. I found the identical one on Amazon for $19USD. It took about two minutes to teach it all of Octo's functions. I think the remote was almost $50 on the Octo site.

JHC

Forum Donor
#372 and arrived yesterday, loaded RoPieee and working like a charm!

Reynolds853

#383 (ordered mid March) arrived yesterday. Reserving review until I can get some time with it but it clearly does not suck... (Black without streamer).

Reactions: JHC
Top Bottom