• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, what are you guys buying yourselves for Christmas?

dguillor

Forum Donor
I bought a minidsp Flex 8 to replace the analog crossover in a 2 way MTM active crossover speaker set that I built twenty years ago. With that I will change it to a 2.5 way system, and I will make the crossover to the tweeter higher order to reduce a resonance in the aluminum cone woofer. We’re moving into a new home that has a big family room that will be the perfect place to play with this. I’m excited.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
my radio choice is.............

"KCCK started out as a 1972 project in an electronics class at Kirkwood Community College. The same year a license was granted and the station broadcast, albeit sporadically for the first 3 years. In 1975 KUNI donated its 1945 transmitter to KCCK and KCCK built a larger tower."

"Jazz, Blues, news and informational programming from American Public Media, besides 12 hours of blues and nine hours of new age/ambient (Echos and hearts of space), Native American and Celtic music per week."

I prefer the gentle jazz, not where it is so free form that I can't follow it.

And also 91.7 iowa public radio station (classical)

And sinfully bounce from 80's pop (think genesis/the motels/pet shop boys), to rockier 80's-90's (alice n chains/stp/police/queen/aerosmith), to a bit harder rock (puddle of mud/Chevelle/3 days grace/foo fighters/falling in reverse).

I also see another tuner (aligned but not fully restored) Pioneer tx7500 lamps replaced with LEDs, fully aligned, and a 90 day warranty for an overpriced $500, maybe buy restore kit parts ($60) later and have local guy restore. 4 gangs

But I am leaning towards the kenwood kt6500 (same as above aligned/warranty) for a bit overpriced $200 then buy restore kit ($100) after the warranty is up. 3 gangs

KCCK is great! Big Mo (friday night DJ) is a buddy of mine.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Joking aside, I'm seriously considering getting myself one of these.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cannot.Abide.Ferrell.
1681212451262473.gif

The dude abides.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Joking aside, I'm seriously considering getting myself one of these.
What type of content are you going to watch on it?
There is a reason for implementing 'local (zoned) dimming':
  • It is a band-aid fix for the shortcomings of LCD panels... and you get the 'blooming' effect as a "feature, for free.:confused:
I know that there will be a price tag to anything you buy that is totally @ your discretion but may I remind you that what ever you purchase today most likely (and hopefully) will be with you for at least 5years?
How does that specific TV compare compare with any of Sony's OLED offerings?
I am guessing that will be about $300(USD) cost increase but could be justified.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
A HSU Research VTF-15H Mk2 15-inch subwoofer and a UMIK-1 measurement microphone. The PC programs for REW and Equalizer APO will be downloaded for the measurements. Gonna integrate the sub with my 2 Revel F208s and NAD C298 amp. Source is a Slim Devices/Logitech Transporter streamer/DAC, fed into a beyond the 20-year warranty Bryston BP25MC pre-amp, which has enough outputs for all the devices.

Hmm, might be time for a source upgrade to a current state-of-the-art streamer/DAC in 2024, but my >60 year old, partially deaf left ear might not be able to notice the difference. :rolleyes:

The mike hasn't arrived yet, but I already know I'm gonna order a 2nd subwoofer in the near future. :cool:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a cheap UNI-T UTG932E function generator some time ago via Amazon. They sent me two. I'll wait a few weeks and give then the chance to notice their mistake, but experience tells me that nobody really cares.
I like free stuff!

A HSU Research VTF-15H Mk2 15-inch subwoofer and a UMIK-1 measurement microphone. The PC programs for REW and Equalizer APO will be downloaded for the measurements. Gonna integrate the sub with my 2 Revel F208s and NAD C298 amp. Source is a Slim Devices/Logitech Transporter streamer/DAC, fed into a beyond the 20-year warranty Bryston BP25MC pre-amp, which has enough outputs for all the devices.
Cool :cool:
The UMIK is such a game changer, it's as if you had acoustic eyes now. I guess the LIGO team must have felt that way when they first looked into the universe not using electromagnetic, but gravitational waves. :D

Hmm, might be time for a source upgrade to a current state-of-the-art streamer/DAC in 2024, but my >60 year old, partially deaf left ear might not be able to notice the difference. :rolleyes:
The differences are likely miniscule to inaudible. Room and speakers are a far more rewarding frontier, you can tune things to be a lot better.
Don't waste your money, even a first gen SINAD 80 CD player is "better" than your speakers+room.

I already know I'm gonna order a 2nd subwoofer in the near future. :cool:
As is tradition. :D

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Just saw that Yamaha is releasing a new 5 CD changer

Oh man, I used to have a 6 disc Onkyo DVD changer. It was heaven on earth - load in six CDs at the beginning of the day and let it roll through them in sequence over the next many hours. Particularly nice for those 3 or 4 disc GD live show releases.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Yamaha brought out a silver one for 100 or 150 CDs i would be their first customer. As far as i can tell, nobody makes large CD carousels anymore.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a cheap UNI-T UTG932E function generator
You can't be that cheap!:)
Remember it's Christmas! The present is supposed to be for yourself!
You should see if you can exchange them both for an AudioPrecision?:D
Remember, it's Christmas! You can comp me the 2nd one, if Amazon doesn't want it back.

P.S. Merry Christmas!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't be that cheap!:)
You have no idea how cheap i really am. There are levels of cheapness you can't even fathom. Check out my new and previous function generator, side by side.
The old one was "good enough" for more than a decade.
PXL_20231210_113636055.jpg

Remember it's Christmas! The present is supposed to be for yourself!
Nobody else will use it, i promise!

You should see if you can exchange them both for an AudioPrecision?:D
I wouldn't have enough skills to wield a weapon like that properly. Also i doubt AP would want to take the e-trash above as payment.

P.S. Merry Christmas!
And to you :cool:

Top Bottom