• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, what are you guys buying yourselves for Christmas?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You've already planned it, I know. You've got all the excuses lined up:

"I work hard all year and I just want something for me."
or
"Now the kids have finished college, I'm going to splash out on a new ..........."
or
"My old DAC needs updating as it's slipping down the SINAD chart and the OLED display has started fading."
or
"I'm buying 'us' a new system for the sitting room with my Christmas Bonus."
or
"I'm smuggling in a new pair of subs and towers into my man cave Christmas Eve and distracting the wife with a pearl necklace- she'll never notice."

What's on the Christmas list this year? (no electric mowers)

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Our grass is plastic (allergies - don't look at me like that) ... a garden hoover.

In discussions with the boss about replacing the TV soundbar with some small monitors: KH80s. It's not going well!

boxerfan88

DM7

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm awaiting a bunch of stuff from various parts of the world for a new project. Not yet going to reveal what it is, and it will most certainly not be ready before the end of the year, but it should end up to be pretty cool :cool:

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In discussions with the boss about replacing the TV soundbar with some small monitors: KH80s. It's not going well!

Soundbars are banned in Australia (kidding).

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
You live in an apartment don't you? What are you gonna mow, the carpet? ;)
1701336158252.jpeg

Life ain't easy sir

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
One for Max (12), one for Dad...

View attachment 330570

These are the standard models with the brushed motors, so there is plenty of scope for tinkering and upgrade potential!

1/10th or 1/12th? 4WD?

I have a sadly unused Losi 5ive-T sitting here with a cover over it- unused. What a shame. My boys were not remotely interested in R/C. Couldn't believe it.

My Tamiya years were the very early 80s with Sand Scorcher and F-150 XLT (both 2WD). I loved those things and sold them decades later at a vast profit before Tamiya re-introduced them! LOL.

Still got an original Sanwa 2ch RC set in its box, unused from the 1980s and it still works! Was 'saving' it for a swamp boat back in the day.:facepalm:

Waxx

Major Contributor
I bought a new nas, my old one is a decade old and start to give signs it's time for retirement. And for the rest i won't buy anything i think...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oe, I did get something cool for my daughter for Sinterklaas: a SonicWave Liven Lofi-12 sampler. I picked up a 2nd hand one for a very nice price:
lighter

It even has a 12-bit mode and does max 24k sampling :cool: Sounds amazing though. It's truly magical how much DSP fairy dust you get for the money :eek: I'm pretty sure she won't use all the functions of the device just yet, but should give her a fun experience discovering music-making.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1/10th or 1/12th? 4WD?

I have a sadly unused Losi 5ive-T sitting here with a cover over it- unused. What a shame. My boys were not remotely interested in R/C. Couldn't believe it.

My Tamiya years were the very early 80s with Sand Scorcher and F-150 XLT (both 2WD). I loved those things and sold them decades later at a vast profit before Tamiya re-introduced them! LOL.

Still got an original Sanwa 2ch RC set in its box, unused from the 1980s and it still works! Was 'saving' it for a swamp boat back in the day.:facepalm:

1/14th 4WD. They are WLToys 144001. They will do over 40mph out of the box, but are heavily modifiable. Here's a compatriot of yours getting one up to 90mph with stock gearing...

And then over 100mph...

Things have moved on a lot since the Tamiya Rough Rider and Nissan 280Z Racing Master MKII that I built and ran in my youth (I think I used Futaba RC and servos in both). Back then, I had a nice little business manufacturing new bumpers out of sheet aluminium for my mates :)

Top Bottom