• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, what are you guys buying yourselves for Christmas?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Already started getting a bunch of cheap CDs for myself. This Friday got 34 pristine used Classical CDs for $3.40. This is a good time to be a fan of Classical music on CD. Also got Artur Schnabel's 1930's complete cycle of Beethoven piano sonatas the same day, about $25.00. That's a little over $3.00 a CD. This was the 2016 set of transfers on Warner Brothers, previously EMI. The classical division is now Parlophone, which must be some kind of a joke. I used to buy CDs for others at Xmas, also burned a few mixes as well, but nobody seems to want them anymore.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bought new loudspeakers this past summer and have been dropping $ on tools and parts to get a car back on the road. So it's been Christmas for me all year long. Will ask the wife for a few pairs of jeans as I tore two pairs in the last couple of weeks jumping/ climbing around at work.

Adaboy4z

Well I had to buy a new car as my old car died so that's my gift. I've already spent enough all year on audio gear for the next 5 years. ;)

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My 21-year-old, in college, has gotten to where he loves post-war jazz and interesting pop, but he has some bargain bin jbl speakers I got him when he was in a freshman dorm. He works incredibly hard in school. He ends up coming home to hear his music in good fidelity. So, what the hell, I am getting older, and What else would I do with my money? I got him some neumann kh120 ii. Vintage King had a demo set.

CMB

Thanks, that looks very tasty.
The winter season changes the menu.

I'd like to highlight the exquisite Dresdner Christstollen, a time-honored pastry. This delectable treat, with its rich history dating back centuries, is synonymous with the Christmas season in the region where we live now. Among the various variations, the almond-infused Christstollen stands out as my particularly delightful choice.

dresdner-mandelstollen_1400.jpg
I would feel ripped off without all the sweet raisins and the almonds paste in, tough . For sure, It’s terrible but it’s true. I have no humor concerning Christstollen. Can feel it it my bones just by looking at the picture . I vote head off panther on this one .

CMB

Just bought 48 french military 1 day rations for 430€. Sustenance for my outdoor activities is sorted for the next 2 years. Way cheaper than freeze dried too.
What????? 430 Eur? You could go to a 3 star restaurant.
Back in the days those were awful. Bread were bricks you could use as weapons. The only cool thing were, you could trade them with Americans because of the included little bottle of rhum or other liquor .

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased 5 new fonts for my Linotype machine. Garamond in 4 sizes with diacritic characters and a 10pt Kentonnian. About 200 pounds of yellow brass matrices to cast metal type. All used of course, stuff hasn't been made since the 60's.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Moondrop Joker headphones

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe you're just getting (...how do i say this in the most politicaly correct way?....) gravitationaly challenged? View attachment 331921
1653761953515.gif

Just go to your local office furniture supply store. A new gas-lift should be about $20, plus a few dollars to fit it.
I'll look for one online, once i have the new chair and can take the old one apart.

What????? 430 Eur? You could go to a 3 star restaurant.
Where i go, there are no restaurants. Hence the rations.
It's good stuff, they know their canned food. I prefer it over freeze dried pouches where half a serving costs as much as an entire RCIR ration.

Bought myself the Wharfedale Denton 85 and these wireless transmitters for my subwoofers (yes, they have latency, but upstream is a MiniDSP Flex where i can set a matching delay for the main speakers).
PXL_20231206_115153223.jpg

PXL_20231206_110313214.MP.jpg
PXL_20231206_124328015.jpg

Last edited:

CMB

Where i go, there are no restaurants. Hence the rations.
It's good stuff, they know their canned food. I prefer it over freeze dried pouches where half a serving costs as much as an entire RCIR ration.
Just checked the « modern » menues. They look indeed more tasty now.
A bit disappointed, they don’t have these small bottles of cheap alcohol, rhum or cognac in those anymore, like it used to be in my times…
Enjoy

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
One month ago I bought a new pair of headphones. Now I want a DAC+Amp for the bedroom, but I spend my time hesitating. I am waiting a review from the boss about this one or this one, but the boss is measuring car audio amps :facepalm:.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay! Thank you @solderdude,
You may have just given me an excuse to buy a pair of these stands for my desktop speakers.
202312_DesktopSpeakerStands.jpg

I am not certain if they are worth $50 and I wish they were 19cm in width but pickins seem slim.:(

Top Bottom