• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

amanieux

Look into the KINERA Idun (1DD + 2BA) or IKKO OH1 (1DD + 1BA) then...
thanks, ikko oh1 was on my radar as a possible upgrade from my spring1 that is mainly ok except for a fish bowl type echo in the mid bass and lacks earth shaking sub bass. ikko is said to have really clean and slammy sub bass.

markanini

Major Contributor
For my audio work I've had the best results with a Sony IEM that's included for free with Xperia phones, MH750. My work consists of going back an forth between my monitors and the MH750 over the course of my work on each song. It involves adjusting levels, EQ, compression, reverb and automation to name a few parameters. More rarely do have to revert changes made on the MH750 compared to any other IEM or headphone I've used.

samwell7

For my audio work I've had the best results with a Sony IEM that's included for free with Xperia phones, MH750. My work consists of going back an forth between my monitors and the MH750 over the course of my work on each song. It involves adjusting levels, EQ, compression, reverb and automation to name a few parameters. More rarely do have to revert changes made on the MH750 compared to any other IEM or headphone I've used.
I've been looking for the MH750/MH755 but it's practically impossible to find genuine versions of them now.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I have the ER3SE only because I happened upon a lightly used pair for very little. For me, the Harman IEM target is too bass heavy...so I boost that end somewhat less than target...and I find the 2-4 kHz range overly boosted, so I cut that somewhat.

I have had a variety of Etys over the years (ER6i, original ER4, and now the ER3SE) and was never able to get "proper" insertion of Ety triple flange tips. Our daughter is currently a speech & hearing major and says her canals have a sharper than typical bend halfway in. While she refuses to look in my ears :D:D:D she thinks I have the same issue and agreed it would be impossible for me to get the triple flange tip inserted/sealed.

I will name names on the tip I use: the large Klipsch oval-shaped silicone tip or the knockoff version of same that I found on eBay. For me, it seals as well as the Comply foam tip, is more comfortable, and removal/reinsertion is quite a bit easier. The

I tried everything out there including customs (large expense, low ROI for me). I think I may share the 'sharp bend' of which you speak (perhaps we're related?) because neither of my attempts at custom tips made it to the second bend which is necessary for that pristine isolation. In my experience, dual-flange tips that fit well are better than triple-flange tips that don't. Ultimate Ears makes theirs with a 3D printer rather than a reverse mold, so maybe they're better at sharp bends.

Comply tips work well for me when they're new but are hard to keep clean and don't last long for me. SpinFit CP240M is the best I have found... for my ears. (They come with little sleeves that adapt them to my smaller-nozzle Ety's.)

Attachments

• spifit.png
    spifit.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 74

snowsurfer

I don't know if they're still available but I have the Moondrop Kanas Pro with Dekoni foam (non memory) tips and they are amazing both stock as well as EQed.

brimble

Forum Donor
made it to the second bend which is necessary for that pristine isolation

I guess this depends on the shape of your ear canals. I've had three sets of custom IEMs that didn't make it to the second bend and they isolate very well.

pk500

I dunno if it was posted here already but ER2XR is amazing value iem!

If you can tolerate the fit. A surprising amount of people can't handle the deep insertion into the ear canal, including me.

Pawelekdabek

If you can tolerate the fit. A surprising amount of people can't handle the deep insertion into the ear canal, including me.

What about included foams? They are like normal foams and also offer better isolation than triple flange tips.

pk500

What about included foams? They are like normal foams and also offer better isolation than triple flange tips.

It's not a question of isolation to me. I'm just really sensitive about stuff being shoved deeply into my ears, comfortable or not.

My problem, not Etymotic's! :)

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I guess this depends on the shape of your ear canals. I've had three sets of custom IEMs that didn't make it to the second bend and they isolate very well.
I got decent isolation, but not really better than a well fitting flanged tip. And the cost increment was huge. Interesting that Ety is emphasizing dual flange tips going forward (but still makes the triple flanges for the 'traditionalists'.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
It's not a question of isolation to me. I'm just really sensitive about stuff being shoved deeply into my ears, comfortable or not.

My problem, not Etymotic's! :)
Because they fit exactly, the custom tips don't feel 'shoved' in and don't create 'pressure points'. It's easy to almost forget they're there. They are expensive AF though. And I do understand the thing about insertion. There are tips that don't go as deep but you give up a little bass IME.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I dunno if it was posted here already but ER2XR is amazing value iem!
All of the current ER align are excellent values at their price points. I haven't heard the ER2 but I have owned the ER 3XR and upgraded to the ER4XR. The 3 pushed the 4 pretty hard from a sound quality standpoint and may actually be a better choice if you intend to use it a lot with mobile devices because the impedance is half what it is on the 4.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Because they fit exactly, the custom tips don't feel 'shoved' in and don't create 'pressure points'. It's easy to almost forget they're there. They are expensive AF though. And I do understand the thing about insertion. There are tips that don't go as deep but you give up a little bass IME.
If it doesn't work don't force it and for most folks on the long run it doesn't. Tryed various memory foam tips and they made it bearable for up to 2 hours but that's about it. For me only thing bearable on the long run are open earbuds. Deacent IEM's for a deacent price for me are Creative Aurvana Trio tho stock cable ain't my cup of tea.

pk500

Well, I also have one more problem with my ears: excessive wax. My doctor has told me that ANYTHING I shove into my ears will lead to more wax plugs and blockages. So, I sure as hell don't want something going deep.

One time I went to the doc insistent I had an ear infection. A lot of pain in the canal and eustachian tube area. Instead, the doc removed a raisin-sized ball of wax, and all was cured.

TMI, I know. But it's the reason why I can't have IEMs with deep insertion.

highpurityusbcable

Well, I also have one more problem with my ears: excessive wax. My doctor has told me that ANYTHING I shove into my ears will lead to more wax plugs and blockages. So, I sure as hell don't want something going deep.

One time I went to the doc insistent I had an ear infection. A lot of pain in the canal and eustachian tube area. Instead, the doc removed a raisin-sized ball of wax, and all was cured.

TMI, I know. But it's the reason why I can't have IEMs with deep insertion.
Whirlwind type eartips are recommended in this case. Very shallow insertion/wide bore. You can find them on aliexpress in packages or as a pair.

Top Bottom