• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

noob question, TV optical out, does equalizer have any effect on sound?

ozz

Hi,
I'm gonna buy a DX3 pro to be able to listen to headphones with the TV, optical out is the only solution. I heard that I cannot control the volume with the samsung remote because optical out transmits 100% sound, that's why I need a preamp, also need a dac to convert optical and some kind of amp to drive a potential HE-4XX purchase and a remote. I've been searching for months and nothing fits this description beside MX3 and DX3 pro but the latter has much better amp so I'm gonna get that. But I cannot EQ from the DX3 pro, that's why I want to know if I EQ on the TV itself, will that change the sound on the headphones that is plugged to the DX3 or that EQ is only for the TV's speakers.
Thanks for reading

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I highly doubt it, otherwise you could also reduce volume on the TV.

RME ADI-2 DAC would allow you to EQ, but it is five times the price of a DX3 Pro.

Perhaps you could use a miniDSP (openDRC-DI for instance) between the TV and the Dac/preamp.

OP
ozz

ozz

I highly doubt it, otherwise you could also reduce volume on the TV.

RME ADI-2 DAC would allow you to EQ, but it is five times the price of a DX3 Pro.

Perhaps you could use a miniDSP (openDRC-DI for instance) between the TV and the Dac/preamp.
If that's true then anything that needs EQ is out of the question, so HE-4XX is gone. That hardware is way too expensive for this use. So optical out brings out 100% the audio file, without any modifications.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If that's true then anything that needs EQ is out of the question, so HE-4XX is gone. That hardware is way too expensive for this use. So optical out brings out 100% the audio file, without any modifications.
Could go for a Sennheiser HD600, it is one of the flattest pair around.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whilst not an answer, on my Panasonic TV using the headphone socket, the TV EQ has no effect on the headphone sound. Volume is controlled by a separate headphone volume menu.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you hoping to EQ to? I have a Sennheiser Flex 5000 connected to a Samsung TV via optical. The Flex has various EQ modes to enhance speech, etc.

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/wireless-tv-earphone-headphone-stereo-flex-5000

(I bought the Flex as B-stock from the Sennheiser Outlet for well under £100)

Also, the Radsone ES100 has a built-in equalizer that you could set from your phone (once is set, it stays set on the DAC). However, I couldn't find a way to force the ES100 to use AptX Low Latency with the Bluetooth receiver I bought to connect to my TV (hence the Flex 5000 purchase)

Last edited:
OP
ozz

ozz

What are you hoping to EQ to? I have a Sennheiser Flex 5000 connected to a Samsung TV via optical. The Flex has various EQ modes to enhance speech, etc.

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/wireless-tv-earphone-headphone-stereo-flex-5000

(I bought the Flex as B-stock from the Sennheiser Outlet for well under £100)

Also, the Radsone ES100 has a built-in equalizer that you could set from your phone (once is set, it stays set on the DAC). However, I couldn't find a way to force the ES100 to use AptX Low Latency with the Bluetooth receiver I bought to connect to my TV (hence the Flex 5000 purchase)

I wanted to buy the Hifiman HE-4XX but I watched many reviews of it and I realized I would need to lower the high end and a bit boost the low end with that headphone, otherwise it would be too bright for me but if the TV's EQ can't do that and I'd need 300$+ to do it, I'll just not buy that headphone, go with a HD 58X instead, it has less high end.

OP
ozz

ozz

Whilst not an answer, on my Panasonic TV using the headphone socket, the TV EQ has no effect on the headphone sound. Volume is controlled by a separate headphone volume menu.
I see, your TV has a 3.5mm headphone jack output ? That's awesome.. Samsung has nothing but optical out.

captain paranoia

Hi, TV optical out, does equalizer have any effect on sound?

I would suggest that it will depend entirely on the design of the particular model of TV. I don't think there's any defined 'standard' in how a TV will handle its audio circuitry, in terms of the options it provides to the user.

Top Bottom