• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noise canceling headphones for outdoor power tools?

Taiga

Hi,

I’ve been using Bose wireless noise canceling earbuds when using my tractor, chainsaw, etc. I really like having the music and I get less of a noise-induced temporary threshold shift in my hearing compared to high NRR ear muffs. Today I lost one bud while clearing a trail and can’t find it. Instead of buds, I would like to get a new pair of wireless noise canceling headphones. They would not be for critical listening, but I would like good sound quality as well as comfort.

I’ll use them with my iPhone and Apple music. Price up to about $400. I’d appreciate any experience and advice.

Thanks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Peltor Sport Tac 500 works pretty well. These are phones that cover your ears. I use them when doing yard work or at the firing range. Sound quality is good enough to enjoy music. Now I have the model without bluetooth (300) which appears identical otherwise. So I cannot speak to how the bluetooth works. I use the 3.5 mm input jack.

OP
T

Taiga

Peltor Sport Tac 500 works pretty well. These are phones that cover your ears. I use them when doing yard work or at the firing range. Sound quality is good enough to enjoy music. Now I have the model without bluetooth (300) which appears identical otherwise. So I cannot speak to how the bluetooth works. I use the 3.5 mm input jack.
Hi,

Thank you for the info and the link. I know that Peltor makes good stuff. I really liked my Bose, so may just go with the Bose QC45 headphones. Amir’s review of the QC35s looked good.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite for noise cancelling is the Sennheiser hd450. The have memory foam also for comfort and seal really well. I test those on Monday when the landscape crew comes by, and when the guy had the leaf blower on the other side of the door I couldn't hear it wearing those with music playing. Sound quality is good, but they cancelled so well I didn't want to take them outside, since you can't hear a car coming.
For outdoor stuff like lawn equipment sounds, they'd be really good.

unpluggged

You should use proper ear protection when working in loud environments, especially for prolonged periods.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You should use proper ear protection when working in loud environments, especially for prolonged periods.

Absolutely. I wear both in-ear protectors and over-ear muffs when using garden tools (chainsaws, brushcutters, ride on mowers, blowers etc). Same with power tools. Air compressor based tools need special attenuation.

Look after your ears. You only get one set. :)

movd

Absolutely. I wear both in-ear protectors and over-ear muffs when using garden tools (chainsaws, brushcutters, ride on mowers, blowers etc). Same with power tools. Air compressor based tools need special attenuation.

Look after your ears. You only get one set. :)
I use true wireless ear buds and then over ear muffs. This seems to be the best option if you want to listen to things will doing things like cutting the grass. Sure, it won't be audiophile quality, but it doesn't matter when you have so much background noise.

williamr

Noise cancelling headphones are not a one-to-one substitute for noise protection because the frequency range of cancellation is heavily biased towards lower frequencies. Maybe what we need is for Amir to put a tractor in the Klippel to see determine what frequencies we are trying to reduce.

ommadusk

Hi,

Thank you for the info and the link. I know that Peltor makes good stuff. I really liked my Bose, so may just go with the Bose QC45 headphones. Amir’s review of the QC35s looked good.
What other people say. In case you didn't see it Amir also reviewed the 45s
Bose is releasing new 'Ultra' ANC headphones and earphones very soon it looks like

jhenderson0107

The Sony WH-1000XM4/WH-1000XM5 work well in the shop providing significant noise attenuation from chop, table and band saws. But when using a router or CNC, the 3M H10A Peltor Optime 105's are preferrable, since they provide better attenuation over a wider bandwidth.

Top Bottom