• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No wonder why it didn’t sound right

Jbrunwa

After pulling my hair out to tune my system to eliminate a hollow midrange sound almost like reverb that I recently have been noticing in my system, I discovered that the TV had recently reverted to sending audio output to its speakers. That’s the sound I was hearing.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So what was the problem? You didn't have an audiophile power cable on the TV, so the mids were messed up and you were hearing that? ;)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
After pulling my hair out to tune my system to eliminate a hollow midrange sound almost like reverb that I recently have been noticing in my system, I discovered that the TV had recently reverted to sending audio output to its speakers. That’s the sound I was hearing.
Ha ha thats a classic.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I once had a rear-projection TV where the molded plastic cover in the back had a large rectangular section that sloped down and that faced toward the back wall but upward. Probably at least six square feet and not braced in any way. At some point I began to develop a vague sense that my system sounded funny, but it wasn't overt and it crept up on me kind of gradual. Eventually I was certain that something not right was going on, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was even though I would occasionally walk up close to the speakers. Finally one day I started putting my hands on everything that I thought could be vibrating. When I put my hand on the back of the TV there was a very obvious change in the sound. Sympathetic vibration of course. I don't recall how long I had been listening to it, but I think it was a pretty good while.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I remember measuring my speakers once and the response was coming out totally crazy. I kept checking all my connections, recycling the power of my components, everything I could think of. Turned out the measurement sweep was going out the laptop speakers instead of to the main speakers.

3125b

Major Contributor
It's always the thing you check last.

jae

Major Contributor
If you didn't notice why sooner, it might be time for a new system.

Leporello

No idea. I did it to get better airflow.
In the eighties Linn propagated the idea of Single Speaker Demonstration according to which any unused acoustic transducers in the listening space will be detrimental to the sound. Some hobbyists and dealers took this idea to the extreme, claiming that they could hear even the presence of an alarm wristwatch or a telephone (after all, there is a small loudspeaker inside) in the room. Out they went.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hands up who hasn't wired their speakers out of phase and initially thought it sounded fab, before the slow realisation that something is very wrong.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something doesn't power up, try everything, decide it's broken, look for replacement on internet.

Later realise it's not plugged in at the wall.

Top Bottom