• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(No Debate) [Extreme Political] What you need to know about Hong Kong's new National Security Law

kokishin

Forum Donor
1. Please remove if deemed inappropriate.

2. I am so sorry my place has brought so many troubles to the world.

3. Purely informational for personal interests, should you need to visit. No Debate.

Facts:

1. On July 1 2020, the new National Security Law officially becomes effective.

2. Should you read Chinese, you know where to find it.

3. Should you can't read Chinese, sorry no official English version has been made available. (2 Jul HKT)

4. Local residents arrested in demonstrations on 1 Jul 2020, for possessing articles such as Taiwanese flags, stickers containing slogans of political demands, etc

5. Stores and shops removed sensitive articles to avoid possible criminal liabilities.

6. Stores and shops were further requested by the Police Force to remove articles, or risk facing charges and prosecution.

7. Political groups self-disbanded to avoid possible criminal liabilities.

Here you may find a statement made by the Hong Kong Bar Association on the law.
- Statement of the Hong Kong Bar Association on the Law of the People’s Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

And a statement by Chief Justice
Statement by Chief Justice of Court of Final Appeal (02-07-2020)

You may read the following for more local news
https://hongkongfp.com/
https://www.scmp.com/

on 1 Jul 2020

My heartfelt sympathies to you and the wonderful people of Hong Kong.

It's a disgrace what the Chicoms has done to Hong Kong, as well as their own citizens.

I lived in Tokyo but I would travel to Hong Kong on business. I would stay at the Hong Kong Grand Hyatt.

It was so sublime to sit in the Grand Club Lounge with a drink and look out at the lights of Victoria Harbor in the evenings. Absolutely gorgeous! It was almost impossible to think about business in such a setting.

Hong Kong was a very special place. I hope someday, somehow the Hong Kong people get their freedom restored.

I used to travel to Taipei too. I just hope Taiwan can be kept free and safe from the Chicoms. It would be another worldwide disgrace for Taiwan to fall.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Shorty

Yes, you're geographically closer to HK than I am at this moment, and you probably know more people there than I do.
However, I don't have to worry about disappearing if I say something unkind about the CPC or President Xi. That's what the people of HK are afraid of, and it's a very real fear. I have a relative who disappeared in the PRC without legal process for over a year because of the contents of a letter he wrote.

But you should worry! If I understand correctly, the PRC recently introduced a law that forbids people not only in Hong Kong, but anywhere in the world to criticize PRC‘s politics or its leader(s). If true, the whole world is being threatened with imprisonment (for the rest of our lives, even). And as the PRC has been shown to be as brutal now as it always has been (remember that Interpol chief who recently disappeared? And those booksellers?) we’re all under threat.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
But you should worry! If I understand correctly, the PRC recently introduced a law that forbids people not only in Hong Kong, but anywhere in the world to criticize PRC‘s politics or its leader(s). If true, the whole world is being threatened with imprisonment (for the rest of our lives, even). And as the PRC has been shown to be as brutal now as it always has been (remember that Interpol chief who recently disappeared? And those booksellers?) we’re all under threat.
These can't be further from the reality. Give me a break.

Georgrig

Worth a look to understand the dynamics. I will not make any comments; you are free to make your own conclusions. I am an expat living in HK, by the way.

kaka89

Worth a look to understand the dynamics. I will not make any comments; you are free to make your own conclusions. I am an expat living in HK, by the way.

The interviewee in your video, is core member of the Hong Kong government.
His opinion is highly bias.

What happening in Hong Kong is the gov is prohibiting all anti-government activities, including the peaceful and legal one, in the name of national security, with its unmonitored police force.

And HK gov place national security above everything else, including human right, rule of law and freedom.

People are being arrested for holding blank paper. Yes, blank paper, because any sign against the gov could be illegal now, people are starting to protest with blank paper.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

It's genuinely hard to watch. And it's clearly shown what's happening. I also won't comment on this any further. This is a good video to watch to understand the dynamics like you say.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

What happening in Hong Kong is the gov is prohibiting all anti-government activities, including the peaceful and legal one, in the name of national security, with its unmonitored police force.

And HK gov place national security above everything else, including human right, rule of law and freedom.

People are being arrested for holding blank paper. Yes, blank paper, because any sign against the gov could be illegal now, people are starting to protest with blank paper.
No one is prohibiting legal movements. You need to give real example for this.
There's no freedom, if the nation falls apart. There's no human rights, when there would be no rights to be given.
Who are there to keep people safe in the riot? Who's responsible for people who are killed?

At the end of the day. It's a situation IN China. Unlike Taiwan related issues, HK issue is a 'domestic' issue.

Georgrig

I never said whose side I'm on. Apparently you think Mr. Tong has a point for you to try and deface him. Good to know.

kaka89

No one is prohibiting legal movements. You need to give real example for this.
There's no freedom, if the nation falls apart. There's no human rights, when there would be no rights to be given.
Who are there to keep people safe in the riot? Who's responsible for people who are killed?

At the end of the day. It's a situation IN China. Unlike Taiwan related issues, HK issue is a 'domestic' issue.

Source:
Read on this : https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/06/s...ice-arrest-8-at-blank-placard-silent-protest/

-----

Hong Kong people's personal liberty, freedom of association, freedom of expression is protected by a law that China and British gov agreed and signed.
But starting this summer, all these rights become conditional. You can enjoy freedom only if you obey your "nation", and any anti-government activity including legal one are threatened.

If u haven’t seen a place where primary election held by political parties is illegal, well it is in Hong Kong now.
https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/10/b...rimary-election-co-organisers-pori-seize-pcs/

It seems freedom in Hong Kong makes China feels very insecure. I don't expect China understand what freedom means, I and many HK people simply wants the China government keep its promise: Leave us alone and keep HK unchanged for 50 years.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Source:
Read on this : https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/06/s...ice-arrest-8-at-blank-placard-silent-protest/

-----

Hong Kong people's personal liberty, freedom of association, freedom of expression is protected by a law that China and British gov agreed and signed.
But starting this summer, all these rights become conditional. You can enjoy freedom only if you obey your "nation", and any anti-government activity including legal one are threatened.

If u haven’t seen a place where primary election held by political parties is illegal, well it is in Hong Kong now.
https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/10/b...rimary-election-co-organisers-pori-seize-pcs/

It seems freedom in Hong Kong makes China feels very insecure. I don't expect China understand what freedom means, I and many HK people simply wants the China government keep its promise: Leave us alone and keep HK unchanged for 50 years.
No need.
Basically most articles written in English are directing to you guys for you to read. They can't be further from the truth. You know, 1% truth, 99% lies.

Shorty

These can't be further from the reality. Give me a break.
I wish for everybody’s sake this really was ‘further from the reality’... Article 38 of the new law states that non-HK citizens are prohibited to break this law, even if they are outside of Hong Kong.
And yes, of course you’re being sold this law as necessary to maintain law & order - that's what totalitarian states have always done to quash human rights. But then, according to the CP, freedom of speech is only a western invention.
Also under the new law, social media platforms are supposed to hand over user data to the HK-police upon request, without even as much as a warrant. Zoom, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter en Telegram have announced they will refuse to do so. If forced, they will have to choose between cooperation or leaving HK. TikTok (with its headquarters in Beijing) has withdrawn its app from the HK market.
Meanwhile, nobody in HK dares to talk to the international press anymore.

Georgrig

No need.
Basically most articles written in English are directing to you guys for you to read. They can't be further from the truth. You know, 1% truth, 99% lies.

For that specific media outlet (HKFP), I couldn't agree more. Actually, the fact that HKers have access to such reports is a sign that no freedoms whatsoever have been taken away..

kaka89

No need.

So you perfer Chinese media? Noted.

For that specific media outlet (HKFP), I couldn't agree more. Actually, the fact that HKers have access to such reports is a sign that no freedoms whatsoever have been taken away..

How about Bloomberg? https://www.bloombergquint.com/poli...raid-pollster-working-with-democracy-movement

It is funny you use the word "access". It is Hong Kong people's born right to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds. It is call freedom of speech. And it is a right protected by HK's constitution. (until recently the national security law that overrides it)

(What I posted is just what happened in Hong Kong this week and tonight. More incidents has been happening for years, and is happening now and every day to come.)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Top Bottom