• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(No Debate) [Extreme Political] What you need to know about Hong Kong's new National Security Law

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1. Please remove if deemed inappropriate.

2. I am so sorry my place has brought so many troubles to the world.

3. Purely informational for personal interests, should you need to visit. No Debate.

Facts:

1. On July 1 2020, the new National Security Law officially becomes effective.

2. Should you read Chinese, you know where to find it.

3. Should you can't read Chinese, sorry no official English version has been made available. (2 Jul HKT)

4. Local residents arrested in demonstrations on 1 Jul 2020, for possessing articles such as Taiwanese flags, stickers containing slogans of political demands, etc

5. Stores and shops removed sensitive articles to avoid possible criminal liabilities.

6. Stores and shops were further requested by the Police Force to remove articles, or risk facing charges and prosecution.

7. Political groups self-disbanded to avoid possible criminal liabilities.

Here you may find a statement made by the Hong Kong Bar Association on the law.
- Statement of the Hong Kong Bar Association on the Law of the People’s Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

And a statement by Chief Justice
Statement by Chief Justice of Court of Final Appeal (02-07-2020)

You may read the following for more local news
https://hongkongfp.com/
https://www.scmp.com/

on 1 Jul 2020

Last edited:

Sonny1

Very sad news. Any time fundamental freedoms are eliminated by a brutal communist regime (or any group for that matter), it’s sad and troubling news. Looking forward to all of the self righteous western companies to cow tow to the Chinese. Sorry if this is too political or if I have offended fans of brutal communist governments.

Hong Kong is an amazing city with some of the courageous, industrious people in the world. I hope the latest setback doesn’t derail their fight for freedom and reform.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Yep, the British built a really strong and positive relationship with China starting in the middle of the 19th century. As did the rest of the west.

oldsysop

Very sad news. Any time fundamental freedoms are eliminated by a brutal communist regime (or any group for that matter), it’s sad and troubling news. Looking forward to all of the self righteous western companies to cow tow to the Chinese. Sorry if this is too political or if I have offended fans of brutal communist governments.

Hong Kong is an amazing city with some of the courageous, industrious people in the world. I hope the latest setback doesn’t derail their fight for freedom and reform.
The brutal communist governments are not very different from the brutal capitalist governments.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some are saying it's the end of Hong Kong. All the bankers are looking for jobs in London and the UK has opened it's doors to 3 million from HK who qualify.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear about the further loss of freedom. Wish England could have held on to Hong-Kong without causing a war.
This is why the Chinese promise to leave Hong Kong continue with its western liberal system was a complete load of crap. British should have continued to hold on to it.

Sonny1

The brutal communist governments are not very different from the brutal capitalist governments.

All governments can be brutal. Communist governments like the Chinese seem to do it best, and with greater frequency. Ask the people of Hong Kong which style of govt they would prefer. Just don’t do it publicly as the wrong answer will likely land someone in prison.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At the danger of polluting the thread where we all agree things in Hong Kong are bad, and anti-freedom, care to name one brutal capitalist government?

@andymok
If this violates the intent of the OP's no debate, then please send me a private conversation and I'll delete this.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As a side comment, I had for sale a pair of beautiful all original copper Quad ESL-57's the year Britain was to turn Hong Kong back over to the Chinese.
1593743744773.png

The fellow who purchased them, turned out to be in Hong Kong. He had me build an extensive highly protective crate for them, and paid very high shipping prices to get them. He feared once China had control he would not be allowed to buy such a thing in the near future. He desperately wanted a pair to listen to music. That hits home at how brutal oppressive regimes can try to kill the human spirit. Or at least how people feared it could become in Hong Kong at the time.

So I wish either most of Hong Kong can move to the UK or elsewhere in the free world or soon manage to get their own autonomy for their own country.

Last edited:

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
1. Please remove if deemed inappropriate.

2. I am so sorry my place has brought so many troubles to the world.

3. Purely informational for personal interests, should you need to visit. No Debate.

Facts:

1. On July 1 2020, the new National Security Law officially becomes effective.

2. Should you read Chinese, you know where to find it.

3. Should you can't read Chinese, sorry no official English version has been made available. (2 Jul HKT)

4. Local residents arrested in demonstrations on 1 Jul 2020, for possessing articles such as Taiwanese flags, stickers containing slogans of political demands, etc

5. Stores and shops removed sensitive articles to avoid possible criminal liabilities.

6. Stores and shops were further requested by the Police Force to remove articles, or risk facing charges and prosecution.

7. Political groups self-disbanded to avoid possible criminal liabilities.

Here you may find a statement made by the Hong Kong Bar Association on the law.
- Statement of the Hong Kong Bar Association on the Law of the People’s Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

And a statement by Chief Justice
Statement by Chief Justice of Court of Final Appeal (02-07-2020)

You may read the following for more local news
https://hongkongfp.com/
https://www.scmp.com/

Saddened by the state of affairs there. I was in HK back in '71, I loved it and had a great time. In fact, was looking thru my old slides from back then. Hung out at a basement bar called (of course) Godowns and Ned Kelly's Last Stand on the Kowloon side. Never saw beer cans as big as the Fosters Dinner Ale and learned to shoot darts there.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All governments can be brutal. Communist governments like the Chinese seem to do it best, and with greater frequency. Ask the people of Hong Kong which style of govt they would prefer. Just don’t do it publicly as the wrong answer will likely land someone in prison.
Mao and his inheritors are uniquely brutal, not that Dueterte, Erdogan, MBS, Orban, Kim Jong Il, Putin, Bolsanaro, or Trump are any prize either.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My heart goes out to HK. I'd rather live in our land of COVID than a land of oppression. Plenty of oppressing going on here, of course, plenty all over, but it looks like we're trying to get better, and China is trying to get worse.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Shame, it seems that world tension and competition has entered a new and dangerous phase of overt aggression. China has just served notice that it will not back-off. No surprise, but very sad nonetheless.

Top Bottom