• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(No Debate) [Extreme Political] What you need to know about Hong Kong's new National Security Law

Tks

Major Contributor
Right now, the law is very vague even in Chinese, many different interpretations among officials over time, so God knows what it looks like in English.

And no, the law has no geographic limitations, on paper it applies to every corner on earth.

Effectively it changes the way public figures and analysts talk, overnight.

Some young political leaders have left HK right on 30 June.

Vague laws, are vague on purpose. Simply because codifying anything of this caliber with precision opens up loop holes or work-arounds. What a powerful centralized government hopes and makes sure happens is, any legal interpretations are quashed (basically any interpretation outside the desires of the central government). But you can only identify proper "traitors" of the nation by presenting laws that are very vague, vague enough to gauge each judge's political leanings.

These sorts of power plays are only possible within nations that truly hold absolute power domestically (and for cases of international law violations, countries that are virtually absolute in power on the world stage as well, which China is, as it is the lifeblood and bedrock of the entire planet basically).

Imagine the gall you must have as a leader giving literally every single democracy touting nation the middle finger telling them they can't do shit. Last time that happened was in '89 after they demonstrated to the entire planet that there is no problem having tanks run over students and their own citizens. I feel after that moment everyone on the world stage backed off with funding of democracy activism in the country for the most part, and world leaders also knew completely just who they were now in business with. Seems things are as they should be now currently though. Hypocrite democracy nations hiding behind economic excuses, allowing all this to go on. Pretty sad to think about all the boasting for instance we do here in the US, yet once China becomes a talking point in political discussion every politician goes pretty shush aside from the whine about human rights here and there for good measure sometimes.

oldsysop

If you are dumb enough to listen to people involved in the ridiculous lies to make the 1619 project you are a special kind of idiot. You are a disgusting invididual to quote from that vile project.

While there are of course things that could be done better in a capitalist America, it reminds me of Winston Churchill saying democracy was the worst kind of gov't..................except for all the other kinds. Considering the good results of capitalism I say the same thing about it as a form of economic activity and development.

I'll repeat it, and it can be removed or me banned. If you believe the garbage that America is inherently racist, founded upon racism and oppression and that the Declaration of Independence is propaganda to cover for a pro-slavery country. You are a special kind of idiot. Even though there appear to be many such idiots it is a peculiarly inane type of idiot. I'm familiar with the thinking behind these ideas and it is an insult to the people of America past and present.

Slavery was a terrible stain upon the early United States, but a war was fought to end it. More white people were killed in that war than the number of slaves brought into the 13 colonies from Africa.
I did not give him the names as he asked and I was not wrong not to.
Intuition. :cool:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear about the further loss of freedom. Wish England could have held on to Hong-Kong without causing a war.
Could be my sole post to this;
What was England doing in East Asia in the first place? What rights did they have to colonize the place? Did we ask what kind of "freedom" the people who lived that land had under the British?
I am from a land/country, Haiti. which was colonized by Spain then France, under similar pretexts and perhaps worse violations to Human rights and conditions: First a Genocide conveniently forgotten by the Occident when by the 1600s, all the Natives Tainos were wiped out then Africans were enslaved to work there). We fought and won our Independence (Seems to be the First and Only Slave revolt with a lasting success and the foundation of a Nation...) forcing the French out, at the cost of being marginalized by all the colonial powers ... with lasting consequences.
You'll excuse my tirade but these kinds of discussions are fraught with hypocrisy and sanctimony ... I am likely out

Tks

Major Contributor
Sigh... is this even possible Thomas? Really? Like even a simple affirmation of "yeah it's horrible what's going on to protesters in Hong Kong" is a political statement. Hell even wearing masks seem to be a political statement in the US as of late.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm an avid user of Signal, but, in the past, I knew few other people who used it.

The last few days I've gotten notification after notification that a contact whose number begins with +852 has joined Signal.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chinese security offices are now in a luxury hotel with a rooftop pool, and a good view of various public plazas

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Sigh... is this even possible Thomas? Really? Like even a simple affirmation of "yeah it's horrible what's going on to protesters in Hong Kong" is a political statement. Hell even wearing masks seem to be a political statement in the US as of late.
It's perfectly possible as this has nothing to do with US politics .

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
all I saw was UK politics (from the distant past)

Tks

Major Contributor
I'm an avid user of Signal, but, in the past, I knew few other people who used it.

The last few days I've gotten notification after notification that a contact whose number begins with +852 has joined Signal.

Bout time, I sure hope people wake up to privacy issues that have come to full light since the Snowden revelations. It's so bad it's not even funny anymore.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've the same problem with Signal. Can't get others you use it.

OP
A

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I understand this thing is political by nature, and we all have our stands and opinions long ago, it's just too obvious, so let's not debate over and keep that ourselves.

I'd like to point your attention to personal security however, if you have friends or families in HK, or have to come and work in future. Things are developing rapidly and drastically these days.

Last time the extradition law failed. This time on top of everything, the national security law opens a door for extradition. And no the law is anything but common law, so you do not expect to be treated the same way as you usually does in the common law system. Be sure to keep your eyes on this.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There's no doubt that Hong Kongers will be welcome anywhere in the world, should they choose to leave. Not that they should ever be placed in that position- the world should collectively do more to prevent such an outcome.

Certain actions need to be strongly condemned, and there is always a point reached where talk becomes pointless and actions are needed. Sometimes sooner rather than later.

Lao Lu

At the danger of polluting the thread where we all agree things in Hong Kong are bad, and anti-freedom, care to name one brutal capitalist government?

@andymok
If this violates the intent of the OP's no debate, then please send me a private conversation and I'll delete this.
I believe there are a 100,000 Iraqis who can no longer answer any questions at all.....

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We are sticking to the situation in Hong Kong.

All developed nations at some point in their history have done bad things , this threads about the situation between Hong Kong China and the UK .

its for information, support, solidarity.

Nothing else.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Probably all people here have zero idea what's really going on. What they all know is "freedom". Yeah riot is freedom.

Top Bottom